We will continue to collect items for the Hope Center through March. Please continue to add this notice below:
UPDATE-- New Castle County HOPE Center
for Individuals and Families in need of temporary housing
Winter 2020-2021 Code Purple Plan for Wilmington
New Castle County purchased the former Sheraton Hotel on Airport Rd (now named the New Castle County HOPE Center) and Friendship House is running Code Purple programing out of this location to provide housing for individuals and families who are homeless this winter. The County retained the hotel management staff to keep the facility running.
· Code Purple started with the first snow on December 15th and will run through the end of March (and then they will evaluate how to proceed.) The County will continue working to obtain more significant housing for the individuals and families who come to the HOPE Center.
· At this time, many of the families that would be housed with Family Promise are being served at the HOPE Center and a worker from Family Promise is on site at the HOPE Center for counseling and other services.
· Code Purple will be every day and night this winter (not just when temperatures drop below freezing). Being able to offer 24 hour/7 day a week winter shelter during the pandemic is a huge gift and opportunity for our friends living on the streets.
· The hotel can accommodate 400 and suites and adjoining rooms are given to families and enables households to stay together.
· Housing is coordinated through the Delaware Housing Alliance.
· If you know of anyone who needs this housing, please ask them to call 1-833-FIND-BED (1-833-3463-233) and leave a message.
How St. James' can help:
· Review the list below and see if there are items you could provide.
· We offer "contactless drop off" at the parish hall Monday-Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
· Please place your donations in the bin labeled Donations for HOPE Center - CODE PURPLE on the porch of the parish hall.
Liz will bring in the bin and any donated items at 1:30 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and we will take the donations to Friendship House at the end of each week.
Hygiene items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste and soap (regular and travel size).
- Tide pods or other laundry pods
- Containers of ground coffee (the staff brews coffee daily for the guests)
- Gift cards for local grocery stores
- NEW socks and underwear (men's, women's, or children's)
- NEW or gently used winter items (coats, gloves, and hats)
St. James' Outreach Ministry