St. James' Mission and Outreach updates
Sharing God’s gifts with others.
Serving those in need with dignity and respect…
We are grateful for your support that enables us to
serve lunch at the Emmanuel Dining Room (EDR)
and provide clothing, food, and other items
needed by those being served at EDR, the Hope Center, and our community.
EMMANUEL DINING ROOM
Providing a daily lunch to those in need in Wilmington
Our next date for providing lunch for Emmanuel Dining Room will be Saturday, December 31, 2022.For their New Year’s Eve lunch, we will be serving lasagna, green beans, fruit, cookies, and a bottle of water again this year. And, as noted above, we will distribute the socks, hats, gloves, etc. that are collected this month.
New Castle County HOPE Center
for Individuals and Families in need of temporary housing and support services.
What started as temporary housing during the cold weather of 2020-2021 has grown into a permanent center that provides housing and support services for individuals and families who are without adequate housing in New Castle County.
New Castle County (NCC) purchased the former Sheraton Hotel on Airport Rd (now named the New Castle County HOPE Center) and kept the hotel management staff to keep the facility running.
Working together, many non-profit organizations including Family Promise and Christiana Care provide various services and support for individuals and families to obtain emergency and more significant housing and medical, psychological, and job skills opportunities as well.
The hotel can accommodate 400 and suites and adjoining rooms are given to families and enable households to stay together. Housing is coordinated through the Delaware Housing Alliance. If you know of anyone who needs this housing, please ask them to call 1-833-FIND-BED (1-833-3463-233) and leave a message.
How St. James' can help:
Review the list below and see if there are items you could provide.
Drop the items off: Monday-Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the parish hall porch. Please place your donations in the bin labeled Donations for HOPE Center on the porch of the parish hall or the box in the foyer of the church. Please note, Liz will bring in the bin and any donated items at 12:30 p.m.
• NEW Underwear, and socks - all sizes, children through adult
• New or gently used t-shirts and light jackets
• New books, puzzles, crossword books, and puzzle books - adult/children
• Art kits, adult and children coloring books, colored pencils
• Hygiene items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, and soap (regular and travel size)
• Tide pods or other laundry pods
• Containers of ground coffee (the staff brews coffee daily for the guests)
• Diapers - all sizes - Urgent need for size 5 & 6
• Baby wipes
• Gift cards - Target, Acme, Wawa
• Non-alcohol hand sanitizer
• Powdered Drink Mixes - Hot Chocolate mix or Iced Tea/Lemonade
• Small containers of peanut butter and tuna fish (easy open)
• Microwaveable one-dish meals
• Fruit cups, apple sauce, and pudding
• Individually wrapped snacks-crackers, granola bars, and cereal bars
• Non-refrigerated milk and powdered milk
St. James' Outreach Ministry