St. James' Mission and Outreach updates
Sharing God’s gifts with others.
Thank you all for your generosity and caring that made and make these offerings possible.
Emmanuel Dining Room
In the past, we have served from 140-200 lunches to our friends at Emmanuel Dining Room on the 31st of the month (7 times per year). Covid brought new challenges and we were able to provide the lunch “fixings”, but not help in the kitchen OR serve the meals. From March 2020 until April 2022, guests were provided a “take away” lunch that they picked up outside the dining room and had to eat elsewhere.
We are happy to say, THIS SUMMER WE WERE BACK in the kitchen and serving guests in the dining room. Thanks to a dedicated core of volunteers, we made about 200 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches the day before we served this summer.
On May, July, and August 31st, we served sub sandwiches, a banana, chips, cookies, and a cold glass of milk to our guests and each month our numbers increased.
Since September only has 30 days, we’re not responsible for a meal this month. However, consider supporting our special lunch on our next lunch date-- Halloween--Monday, October 31st our guests will enjoy meatball subs, chips, banana, and homemade cookies and have peanut butter and jelly sandwich to take away for later.
· Please join us in the Parish Hall kitchen after the service coffee hour on Sunday, October 30th to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as an extra snack or meal for later for our guests being served the next day. (Masks and gloves, please.)
· If you'd like to provide some homemade cookies (or store-bought cookies), please bring them to the Parish Hall kitchen marked EDR by Sunday, October 31st. You are welcome to put homemade cookies into the freezer to keep them fresh.
· We will continue our tradition of making “goodie” bags with some extra treats for Halloween. If you’d like to provide snack sized individually wrapped candies, please leave them in the parish hall kitchen marked EDR by Sunday, October 31st.
· Questions: please text or call Pat Minor 302-983-6299 or Cindy Fauerbach 302-584-8053.
Hope Center and Friendship House
We continue to provide clothing items, snacks, food, toiletries and hygiene items, children's books and toys, diapers, laundry detergent, etc. for those being served at the Hope Center and Friendship House. Collection boxes are inside the front door of the church and Monday-Thursday a box is outside the Parish Hall.
Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels volunteers deliver lunch and some evening meals to our neighbors in Murray Manor. Our next week to deliver meals is September 19-23.
The prayer team continues to lift up prayer requests shared by parishioners through emails to the church office at 302-994-1584 or to individual members of the prayer team. We collect the prayer requests and other concerns of the parish, community, and world. Then these requests are lifted up in the daily prayers of the team members. All are welcome to share their prayer requests and we hope you will consider joining us via ZOOM for our monthly Evening prayer service and “check in” on Sunday, September 11th at 5 p.m..
For those who have an immediate prayer need or if you would like to join the ZOOM Evening Prayer meeting on September 11th, we invite you to email your prayer needs and requests to Carolyn Mack at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 302-565-8675
St. James' Pastoral Care Team
St. James' Pastoral Care Team continues to support our parish family and our community.
If you or someone you know is in need, we:
· send cards, make phone calls, and pray with you and/or for you.
· For now, in an abundance of caution, our home, hospital, and Eucharistic visits are on hold.
Please call the office (302-994-1584) and leave a message. Someone will get back to you. Messages are retrieved daily, seven days a week.
Please let us know if you need us or someone you know needs us. We will not know if you do not tell us.