HOPE for Street-Level Homeless
Winter 2020-2021 Code Purple Plan for Wilmington
· The county has purchased the former Sheraton Hotel on Airport Rd (now named the New Castle County HOPE Center) and Friendship House will run Code Purple programing out of this location to house street-level homeless daily this winter. The address of the hotel is 365 Airport Road, New Castle DE 19720.
· Code Purple will begin December 15th and run through the end of March. At such a point, the County will take over trying to get folks into more significant housing. The County is retaining the hotel management staff to keep the place running.
· Code Purple will be every day and night this winter (not just when temperatures drop below freezing). Being able to offer 24 hour/ 7 day a week winter shelter during the pandemic is a huge gift and opportunity for our friends living on the streets.
· Although the hotel will hold about 400 people, they will start with about 70. Suites and adjoining rooms will be given to families – right now there are no families on the list but this might change as folks lose their homes. Individual rooms will be assigned, with households being able to stay together.
· FH and Code Purple partnering congregations will not host street-level homeless at normal Code Purple locations; all guests will be placed at the hotel.
· However, Andrew’s Place, the Sunday outside breakfast giveaway, and the Empowerment Center will continue to function at Saints Andrew and Matthew, following COVID protocols.
How you can help:
They will need hygiene items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste and soap (regular and travel size). In addition, they will need non-perishable food items such as bottled water and individually wrapped snacks (pretzels, granola bars, fruit snacks, etc.) As well as new socks, underwear, and winter items (coats, gloves, and hats.)
Financial support will also be needed by sending a donation to:
Friendship House, PO Box 1517, Wilmington, DE 19899.
Please visit www.fhcodepurple.org for more information.