It has been my honor to serve as your 2017 KAHPERD President. Our fall convention theme is "Developing the Well-Rounded Child" and is focused on the future changes to health and physical education from the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
As ESSA has provided opportunities for many changes within our field, KAHPERD has been busy working to improve in other areas as well. Below are just some quick highlights of the many changes and opportunities:
- In May we launched a new website: http://kahperd.com/
- In July we hired a new Executive Director: Jamie Sparks
- For this school year, Program Reviews are no longer required
- New and updated wellness policies are required for all districts
- Kentucky's ESSA plan is in its' final stages of approval
- KDE and KY HPE teachers are working on new state health and physical education standards
There has never been a more important time to be a KAHPERD member. We work to advocate to all shareholders at the local, state and national level the importance of health literacy and physical literacy. We work hard to keep you informed via newsletters, Twitter and Facebook and hope to see you at our annual convention. If are not able to attend, we hope you see the value in what we do to represent your job and our profession on a daily basis! Please show us your support by using the JOIN or DONATE buttons above.