It’s time to get fit while enjoying the beautiful summer weather! Independent Health, in partnership with YMCA Buffalo Niagara and the Jamestown YMCA, recently kicked off the 11th season of Fitness in the Parks, the largest and longest running outdoor fitness program in Western New York.
More than 560 free fitness classes will be offered at 25 different parks and other unique locations across Western New York, including Buffalo Bills AdPro Training Center, Wilkeson Pointe at Outer Harbor, Larkin Square, Delaware Park and Chestnut Ridge Park. Classes will also be held at three Amherst locations: Bassett Park, Garrison Park, and the South Lake Village Apartments on the University at Buffalo’s North Campus.
People all ages and skill levels are encouraged to attend the classes, which are led by YMCA certified instructors. Here are just some of the classes that are being held this summer:
· Boot Camp – Join us for this challenging yet enjoyable workout that focuses on speed, endurance, agility, strength, power moves and cardiovascular training.
· Cardio Dance – Simple yet challenging choreography set to music. Cardio dance will enhance cardiovascular endurance, muscle tone, flexibility and coordination.
· Pilates (mat required) – Strengthen the body’s core muscles, including the abdominals and lower back, with this method of body conditioning. You’ll tone your body and increase flexibility. Please bring your own mat!
· Yoga (mat required) – Enjoy gentle, effective postures that promote stretching, strengthening and relaxation. Benefits include increased blood circulation, improved mental awareness, strengthened muscles and reduced stress! Please bring your own mat!
· Zumba® – Are you ready to party yourself into shape? Forget the workout – just lose yourself in the music and feel yourself getting physically fit with the original dance-fitness party! Zumba® classes feature exotic rhythms set to high-energy Latin and international beats.
Again, all classes are free. No advanced sign up is required to participate in any of the classes. You can simply show up to the location of your choice at the day and time listed on the class schedule.
To view the full schedule, park locations and class descriptions, visit the Independent Health website
. Day-of cancellations, due to rain or poor weather, will be listed on the YMCA Buffalo Niagara and Jamestown YMCA Facebook pages.