New Monday Morning Briefing with the GR Team
This is a new format for Monday Morning Coffee. It used to be a call-in format. We heard it was not easy for people to call in, but participants liked the information. So, each Monday morning, we invite you to grab a cup of java, tea or your favorite morning beverage and get caught up with the most recent legislative news and get a look forward to what is happening at the Capitol this week. We hope you will use this as a tool to share information with your colleagues - print off or forward the email, share the video.
The 90th Legislative Session began Tuesday, January 3 with the swearing in of all the new legislators and a new look to our Capitol.
As the Legislature gets acclimated, we want to start the session by sharing the
2017 MSBA Legislative Platform
Here are five key planks or elements of the platform:
- Invest in all our students with an inflationary increase to the general education formula and fully funding special education and Pre-K programs.
- Ensure every student has a qualified teacher by working to eliminate the teacher shortage.
- Support the work of locally elected school boards.
- Work for equity and student achievement for all students.
- Provide for fair tax policies throughout Minnesota.
In other ne
ws, Governor Mark Dayton did release his
last week. MSBA supports Governor Dayton's tax reduction plan of $34 million for farmers with the goal of helping our school boards and school districts.
Also included is the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) sales tax repeal.
Looking forward to this week, committee meetings will be in full swing with the start of bill introductions. We will highlight some bills each Monday here and post full bill introductions each week in