April to November is the time when one can get exposed to ticks, especially in wooded areas, areas with high grass and bushes. Ticks can spread diseases including Lyme Disease and therefore it is important to keep yourself protected as you venture outdoors. Below are some tips from the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit to help you shield yourself and your family from tick bites:
- Use insect repellent such as DEET or Icaridin.
- Avoid walking in tall grass and stay on the centre of paths.
- Cover up. Wear long- sleeved shirts and pants, tuck your pants into your socks and wear closed toed shoes.
- Wear light coloured clothing to spot ticks easily.
- Do a full body check on yourself, children and pets after being outdoors.
- Shower within 2 hours of being outdoors.
- Put your clothes into a dryer on high heat (at least 60 minutes) to kill any possible ticks
- Protect your pet with a tick collar, repellent or once a month treatment.