A simple place to start —
Bring it into worship
- Have a 3-5 minute “Moment for Mental Health” in worship (perhaps each month).
- Always in a manner that protects confidentiality, pray for those living with mental illness and their families in the pastoral prayer on a regular basis.
- In preaching, look for opportunities to discover how the scripture speaks to the lives of those living with mental illness and those who care for them.
Use the church newsletter
- Include articles each month to promote the mental health ministry and provide education on some form of mental illness or aspect of recovery.
- Articles from the ministry team and reflections on mental illness from the pastor on the front-page article can help raise awareness and dispel stigma.