Westfield GC February 2021 News...
It is already February! The winter seems to be going by pretty fast, since we haven’t had much of any really cold temperatures this year, (yet). There may, or may not be an early spring. Time will tell. Although, I heard that silly rodent in PA saw his shadow and there will be 6 weeks of winter left, at least there. Lets hope if there is such an animal around these parts, it will not have seen its shadow and we can have an early spring! (Had it not been for the COVID-19 shutdown last spring, we would’ve been one of the first courses open in the area!) We will always do everything we can to get the course open for play as early as possible, but as always, it is up to Mother Nature.
There are some minor improvements happening in the Westfield Pro Shop that you may, or may not, notice. However, they will be some very welcome changes! We are redoing/replacing some lighting within the Pro Shop to some more energy efficient LED lighting. This will help with energy savings, as well as get some dark areas of the Pro Shop to have some more light. It has always been very dark in the Pro Shop closer to dusk in the summer and over the winter months, even with all of the windows. It may not be overly flashy for changes, but it will be very, very welcome to have in place!!
I have had one bite (so far) on looking for some help in the Pro Shop for 2021. The job posting is listed below in this email for anyone interested. If there is anyone else interested in some employment in the Pro Shop, please feel free to stop by and pick up a job application, and/or drop off a resume. There will also be a couple of openings on the grounds crew, so feel free to apply for those, as well. Stop into the Pro Shop at Westfield, during normal business hours, and pick up an application.
If you are looking to have any club repair/re-gripping of clubs done over the winter, please feel free to bring those in! I can do grips now, at least for a while, until we have to temporarily store merchandise for the Motor Parts and Equipment trade show, which usually takes the entire building, and is going on as scheduled, from my understanding. That happens on the first Wednesday in March. Carpets will be cleaned right after that show is completed, and then the Pro Shop will be set up again for the 2021 Season.
If you would like to take care of your 2021 Season Pass early, before the course opens, we can do that! Just stop by the Pro Shop and we can take care of that for you! That way, you can be ready to play when the course opens in the spring and can avoid any lines in the Pro Shop from those paying their Season Passes on the first day(s) of play.
New Member Grab Promotion-
Available for ALL 2020 Members/Season Pass Holders to participate in, for the 2021 Season…
1. Any 2020 Westfield GC Member/Season Pass Holder may attempt to bring in a “NEW” Member/Season Pass Holder to Westfield GC. (“New” Member/Season Pass Holder being anyone who has not been a Member/Season Pass Holder the previous year or more to Westfield.)
a. If that current Season Pass Holder is able to bring in one (1) “New” Season Pass Holder, EACH person gets a 10% Discount on the year’s Season Pass Holder rate.
b. If that Member decides to bring in two (2) new individuals, the current Season Pass Holder gets a 15% discount on their Season Pass. The two new individuals that individual brings in get a 10% discount on their Season Pass.
c. If that current member brings in three (3+) NEW individuals, the CURRENT Season Pass Holder gets a 20% discount and ALL additional new people brought in by the current season pass holder get a 10% discount on their Membership/Season Pass Holder rate for the year.
2. The MAXIMUM Discount to be given out is 20% off.
3. As long as ALL individuals remain Season Pass Holders for the following year (for example a new Season Pass Holder in 2020 wishes to remain a Season Pass Holder in 2021), those individuals are now eligible to do “head hunting” for the next year and try to bring in another new person, or more at a discount.
4. Season Pass Holders will now not only be able to join Men’s League(s) or Women’s Leagues, but they will also gain a benefit of getting 10% Member discount in the golf shop. (10% discount avail on in-stock, as well as special orders,)
a. The 10% discount is on golf shop merchandise ONLY (hard and soft goods). (The 10% discount is NOT available on golf car rentals, push cart rentals, trail fees, greens fees, food, soft drinks, club repair or golf instruction by the head professional, or tournament entries, or League Fees.)
5. Any Current Season Pass Holder can bring in another individual at ANY Season Pass Category. The discount per Season Pass holders could be, for example….
a. Single bringing in Single, or Couple, or Young Adult
b. Family bringing in Family, or Couple, or Young Adult
c. Single bringing in Family, or Couple, or Young Adult
d. Family bringing in Single, or Couple or Young Adult
e. Junior bringing in Junior, or Couple, or Young Adult
f. Family or Single season pass bringing in Junior, or Couple or Young Adult
The idea of this program is to try to entice more people to join Westfield GC!! This could/should work as a pyramid with one member bringing in a person, then the next year both those individuals bringing in two more individuals, etc., etc.…
Any discounts offered in the Bar/Lounge would be at the discretion of Whalen’s at Westfield.
HELP WANTED!!! HELP WANTED!!!
Westfield GC is looking for some help in the Pro Shop to assist the Head Golf Professional/Pro Shop Manager. Details are below.... (also in the attached PDF)
Westfield GC is looking for a Pro Shop Assistant, to assist the Head Golf Professional/Pro Shop Manager with the day to day operations of the golf shop.
Successful candidate will be a team player who is personable, has a positive attitude, and able to engage with members, guests, and staff in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
*Up to 25 to 30 hours/week (sometimes more, sometimes less)
*Flexible start and end dates
*Will train right candidate
Golf shop staff and assistants will be required to exemplify the standards of Westfield GC. They will be expected to work as a team to provide unparalleled service for the members and their guests.
Primary duties include:
· Greeting members and guests in a welcoming and friendly manner
· Daily check-in of members and guests and reconciling tee sheet
· Check customers in and gather information for marketing needs
· Opening/closing procedures, with attention to detail
· Assisting Members with tee time, handicap, and other golf related issues
· Assisting Golf Professional/Pro Shop Manager with merchandise as needed
· Answer the phone in a professional manner, booking tee times, and taking messages
· Maintaining an accurate cash drawer at all times in the register
· Keep a clean, organized, and professional looking golf shop
· Assist the Head Professional in merchandising
· Flexible to work weekdays and/or weekends is a requirement
· Stage golf cars with golf car attendants; wash and put away golf cars when round is complete
· Organize and stage golf carts for league play each week. Assist Head Professional with league results and post on the website
· Work with Head Professional in organizing a PGA junior golf program
· Assist with Managing Tournament Operations
· Manage Golf Car Operations
· Other duties as required
· Assisting with other duties as needed
· Experience with the following preferred: moderate to advanced experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. Will train on any other computer programs as the arise
· Previous experience in golf preferred, but will train right candidate
· Ability to multi-task and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, at times
· Previous experience with working a cash register/POS system and keeping accurate cash and transaction control a must!
Assistant Golf Professionals main objective will be to provide members and guests with the finest golfing experience in the area. The Assistants ability to provide service and enjoyment for the patrons will be measured against the finest clubs in the Winona, MN area. Team members will be encouraged to “step up” and lead others using their strengths, while at the same time learning from other staff and improving upon their weaknesses. The result of this process will be a smooth and efficient operation with well-rounded individuals. Assistants will be leaders and team players that the rest of the operation can look to as professional role models.
Please stop into the Westfield GC Pro Shop during daylight hours to apply or pick up an application, or email BJPaulsonPGA@gmail.com to arrange a time to pick up an application or to drop off a resume.
Perfect job for any recently retired individual looking for something to do!
Grounds Crew Positions...
Westfield GC is also looking for a grounds crew person to work out on the grounds. More information on that position will be announced in future emails.
New Website Development-
Westfield has been working with Vision Design Group, here in Winona, to upgrade and improve the Westfield GC website! This new website will look a bit different to what we have had in the past. It will also be more "mobile friendly" for today's world. Also, you will also be able to make Season Pass purchases and pre-pay for tournaments on the website, as well as other things, once it launches.
Stay tuned for more info on this...!!!!
We are always looking for donations to the Junior Golf Program! The kids are the future of golf, as well as Westfield GC. Since we do not do the Junior Golf “Turkey Raffle” any more, you can always drop off any donations to the Westfield GC Pro Shop. If you need to get in touch with me, just shoot me an email at BJPaulsonPGA@gmail.com, or send me a text at 507-450-7037, if I am not in the Pro Shop at a certain time. I’ll be happy to schedule a time to meet you at the course.
Whalen’s will be closed for maintenance from February 3rd through February 11th. However, they will be back!! Hours will be the same as in January, when they were allowed to do inside dining once again. (See below from a previous email.)
Whalen's will once again now be open for INSIDE dining!!!
Whalen's will be open starting NEXT WEEK, (week of January 11th), starting on WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2021.
Capacity will be at 50% of normal, and you may sit at the bar in groups no larger than 2 individuals.
Hours and days will be as follows....
Monday - Closed
Tuesday - Closed
Wednesday - 11:00am to 7:00pm
Thursday - 11:00am to 8:00pm
Friday - 11:00am to 8:00pm
Saturday - 11:00am to 7:00pm
Sunday - Closed
Normal menu will be available, as well as daily specials!
Please patronize local businesses!!
See you there!!!