As I type this, it is March 1, 2021. It is hard to believe that it is here already! We have been busy around the Pro Shop area this past month (or so) with some light construction work. That work is 95% completed! The new ceiling LED lights for the Pro Shop have been wired and roughed in a month ago. Don and I worked on hanging the sheet rock on the ceiling to cover the holes from the electrician's work. Don did the taping, mudding, and sanding of the sheet rock, and I have completed the painting work! We are now just waiting to have the lights installed! (Hopefully, that is done soon.) In some ways, some individuals would not really notice the work that has been done, (and that is ok.) However, this work will help Westfield GC with some pretty good energy savings with having the lights in the Pro Shop area being LED. I have also painted the old "kitchen/snack bar" area to match the rest of the Pro Shop, freshening it up. Now, we (I) will be cleaning up the mess to get things ready for what is (hopefully) an early golf season!! From what we went through last spring, an early opening would be welcome!! I will be in the Pro Shop cleaning, I'll be doing the desk and retail area first, so if you would like to stop by and pay your 2021 Season Passes, and other fees, early before the season starts! Fees and Season Passes have not increased, as of yet. IF the Board does decide to increase some fees, I will send out ample warning and I'm sure there would be a grace period for those who would like to take advantage of "old" rates, to do so.
The weather and temperatures look quite good for the first week of March. (As we know, things could always turn on a dime this time of year.) The snow will be pretty much melted from the course by the end of the week, from what I would assume. That being said, PLEASE STAY OFF the course for the time being, until we open! There can be a lot of damage done to the turf as it comes out of winter, especially with a flash melt. There is still frost in the ground. There will still be a lot of big puddles and lakes until the frost breaks in the ground. Also, the extremely wet and soft conditions will hold foot prints, which will stay, and will need to be fixed by maintenance staff later.
I have had 2 to (possibly 3) bites on looking for some help in the Pro Shop for 2021. The job posting is once again listed below in this email for a final time for anyone interested. If there is anyone else interested in some employment in the Pro Shop, please feel free to stop by and pick up a job application, and/or drop off a resume. There will also be a couple of openings on the grounds crew, so feel free to apply for those, as well. Stop into the Pro Shop at Westfield, during normal business hours, and pick up an application. I will be contacting individuals very soon to start talking to them, hiring, and doing some training.
Attached is the Men's League questionnaire for 2021. This is the sheet for you to print off and put down if you are intending to play in Men's League again in 2021. I lets me know who your partner is once again, or if there are any adjustments or changes to your team. Teams who were in League in 2020 have the right of first refusal. If you are NOT planning on playing in League for 2021, please let me know ASAP!! This really helps me know where there are going to be openings. We do currently have openings in most of the Leagues (except 11:00 League). Making changes and adjustments early on will help me quite a bit, so I am not scrambling at the last moment just before League starts. As always (baring any unforeseen circumstances) the Leagues will start on the LAST Thursday in April to make the 19 weeks of League fit into the calendar to end in early September.
Something new for 2021.... ALL LEAGUE TEAMS WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE TWO (2) PLAYERS! (Not just 1 person playing both players all season long.)
Wednesday Ladies Golf-
Any Ladies are invited to join the Wednesday afternoon golf league. Membership or green fees are all you need to play!!
For those of you who golfed with us last year, the format will be very similar. Starting date and signup information will be in the April Newsletter. Contact Barb Bambenek, or Brian, through the Pro shop if you are ready for having fun golfing at Westfield. Join in!! Play golf!! Have FUN!!!
Junior Golf 2021-
Sign up for the Westfield GC JUNIOR GOLF Program for this coming summer is now open! Attached is the information regarding the 2021 Program in a PDF you can download. Additional information will be coming in future emails and newsletters. As always, we will take any donations for the Westfield GC Junior Golf Program, as they are always welcome and really help the program! Also, if you are interested in helping out with the Program in 2021 as a volunteer, please get in touch with me (Brian) in the Pro Shop, or let Pro Shop staff know, and they can get that information to me. The kids are the future of golf, as well as Westfield GC.
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
Westfield GC has received $25 donations from both Mike and Jane Voelker, as a memorial to longtime Westfield GC Member, Lyle "Jake" Jacobson, on his passing last month. This donation is to go towards the gardens in Jake's memory. Thank you, Mike and Jane for your memorial gift!
Memorials are always welcome to beautify Westfield GC. The Tree Fund is growing, but we need to finish taking down dead ash trees before we can start doing some serious replanting of trees.
New Member Grab Promotion-
Available for ALL 2020 Members/Season Pass Holders to participate in, for the 2021 Season…
1. Any 2020 Westfield GC Member/Season Pass Holder may attempt to bring in a “NEW” Member/Season Pass Holder to Westfield GC. (“New” Member/Season Pass Holder being anyone who has not been a Member/Season Pass Holder the previous year or more to Westfield.)
a. If that current Season Pass Holder is able to bring in one (1) “New” Season Pass Holder, EACH person gets a 10% Discount on the year’s Season Pass Holder rate.
b. If that Member decides to bring in two (2) new individuals, the current Season Pass Holder gets a 15% discount on their Season Pass. The two new individuals that individual brings in get a 10% discount on their Season Pass.
c. If that current member brings in three (3+) NEW individuals, the CURRENT Season Pass Holder gets a 20% discount and ALL additional new people brought in by the current season pass holder get a 10% discount on their Membership/Season Pass Holder rate for the year.
2. The MAXIMUM Discount to be given out is 20% off.
3. As long as ALL individuals remain Season Pass Holders for the following year (for example a new Season Pass Holder in 2020 wishes to remain a Season Pass Holder in 2021), those individuals are now eligible to do “head hunting” for the next year and try to bring in another new person, or more at a discount.
4. Season Pass Holders will now not only be able to join Men’s League(s) or Women’s Leagues, but they will also gain a benefit of getting 10% Member discount in the golf shop. (10% discount avail on in-stock, as well as special orders,)
a. The 10% discount is on golf shop merchandise ONLY (hard and soft goods). (The 10% discount is NOT available on golf car rentals, push cart rentals, trail fees, greens fees, food, soft drinks, club repair or golf instruction by the head professional, or tournament entries, or League Fees.)
5. Any Current Season Pass Holder can bring in another individual at ANY Season Pass Category. The discount per Season Pass holders could be, for example….
a. Single bringing in Single, or Couple, or Young Adult
b. Family bringing in Family, or Couple, or Young Adult
c. Single bringing in Family, or Couple, or Young Adult
d. Family bringing in Single, or Couple or Young Adult
e. Junior bringing in Junior, or Couple, or Young Adult
f. Family or Single season pass bringing in Junior, or Couple or Young Adult
The idea of this program is to try to entice more people to join Westfield GC!! This could/should work as a pyramid with one member bringing in a person, then the next year both those individuals bringing in two more individuals, etc., etc.…
Any discounts offered in the Bar/Lounge would be at the discretion of Whalen’s at Westfield.
HELP WANTED!!! HELP WANTED!!!
Westfield GC is looking for some help in the Pro Shop to assist the Head Golf Professional/Pro Shop Manager. Details are below.... (also in the attached PDF)
Westfield GC is looking for a Pro Shop Assistant, to assist the Head Golf Professional/Pro Shop Manager with the day to day operations of the golf shop.
Successful candidate will be a team player who is personable, has a positive attitude, and able to engage with members, guests, and staff in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
*Up to 25 to 30 hours/week (sometimes more, sometimes less)
*Flexible start and end dates
*Will train right candidate
Golf shop staff and assistants will be required to exemplify the standards of Westfield GC. They will be expected to work as a team to provide unparalleled service for the members and their guests.
Primary duties include:
· Greeting members and guests in a welcoming and friendly manner
· Daily check-in of members and guests and reconciling tee sheet
· Check customers in and gather information for marketing needs
· Opening/closing procedures, with attention to detail
· Assisting Members with tee time, handicap, and other golf related issues
· Assisting Golf Professional/Pro Shop Manager with merchandise as needed
· Answer the phone in a professional manner, booking tee times, and taking messages
· Maintaining an accurate cash drawer at all times in the register
· Keep a clean, organized, and professional looking golf shop
· Assist the Head Professional in merchandising
· Flexible to work weekdays and/or weekends is a requirement
· Stage golf cars with golf car attendants; wash and put away golf cars when round is complete
· Organize and stage golf carts for league play each week. Assist Head Professional with league results and post on the website
· Work with Head Professional in organizing a PGA junior golf program
· Assist with Managing Tournament Operations
· Manage Golf Car Operations
· Other duties as required
· Assisting with other duties as needed
· Experience with the following preferred: moderate to advanced experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. Will train on any other computer programs as the arise
· Previous experience in golf preferred, but will train right candidate
· Ability to multi-task and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, at times
· Previous experience with working a cash register/POS system and keeping accurate cash and transaction control a must!
Assistant Golf Professionals main objective will be to provide members and guests with the finest golfing experience in the area. The Assistants ability to provide service and enjoyment for the patrons will be measured against the finest clubs in the Winona, MN area. Team members will be encouraged to “step up” and lead others using their strengths, while at the same time learning from other staff and improving upon their weaknesses. The result of this process will be a smooth and efficient operation with well-rounded individuals. Assistants will be leaders and team players that the rest of the operation can look to as professional role models.
Please stop into the Westfield GC Pro Shop during daylight hours to apply or pick up an application, or email BJPaulsonPGA@gmail.com to arrange a time to pick up an application or to drop off a resume.
Perfect job for any recently retired individual looking for something to do!
New Website Development-
Westfield has been working with Vision Design Group, here in Winona, to upgrade and improve the Westfield GC website! This new website will look a bit different to what we have had in the past. It will also be more "mobile friendly" for today's world. Also, you will also be able to make Season Pass purchases and pre-pay for tournaments on the website, as well as other things, once it launches.
Stay tuned for more info on this...!!!!
Whalen's is OPEN for INSIDE dining, as well as carry out!!
Hours and days will be as follows....
Monday - Closed
Tuesday - Closed
Wednesday - 11:00am to 7:00pm
Thursday - 11:00am to 8:00pm
Friday - 11:00am to 8:00pm
Saturday - 11:00am to 7:00pm
Sunday - Closed
Normal menu will be available, as well as daily specials!
Please patronize local businesses!!
Call 507-452-8700 for more questions and details on Whalen's.