From Our Principal
Good morning WHS families,
I hope this week allows you a moment to pause and reflect on what you are grateful for and for that which you give thanks. I took a moment and really thought about how lucky I am to have this group of students, parents, and the staff at Westlake High School. Oftentimes, I attend meetings and hear horror stories from other administrators. I reflect on the fact that we had an idea, I spoke to an advisor of a group, she posted a message, and within 1 hour I had 85 volunteers to help me. I think about the fact that our WDAB has raised over $300,000 for our student-athletes, and the fact that so many staff are meeting with students throughout the day to catch them up, enrich them, or simply to offer some guidance as they navigate their time at Westlake High School.
My hope is that all the families in Westlake High School are able to take a minute to pause and give thanks. Happy Thanksgiving.
Have a wonderful week!
-Westlake High School
Westlake City Schools
Friday Morning News - 11/17/201
CCP in the Spring
- If your current CCP student is interested in taking classes off-campus in the spring, please encourage them to reach out to their school counselo
r in the upcoming weeks to review their course authorization form prior to registering for classes. If you child is taking a CCP class at WHS they will automatically be enrolled in the class they registered for last spring. However, if they want any changes they need to meet with their counselor. Save the date for our CCP Information Night for the 2018/19 school year on Thursday, January 25th to learn about updates to the program and courses at WHS!
ACT Intensive Workshop
- Polaris Career Center is offering an ACT Prep 1-Day Intensive Workshop to review and strategies to help students achieve higher scores and stay competitive among their peers. The one-day format will offer tips and problem-solving techniques, practice questions published by ACT and a review of core subjects in a condensed format. The latest changes in the exam also will be discussed. The workshop is Saturday, December 2nd from 8:00a - 2:00p and costs $99 (includes lunch and materials). More Info
- We will be offering an ONLINE administration of the ASVAB test this year on Wednesday, December 6th at 8:00a in our Media Center lab. The ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) is the most in depth Career Assessment we are able to offer our students! Taking the exam carries no obligation at all to the military; but rather, is provided by the military as a service to students. The online version, is a self-paced assessment that takes about 90 minutes. The test will be followed by instructions on how to interpret scores and how to explore careers that are matched to their interests and abilities. All students in grades 10, 11 and 12 are invited to register in the Counseling Office. More Info on ASVAB l Practice Tests
WHS student volunteers are needed to provide childcare
(play board games, read stories, do coloring) with children who come with their parents to attend an informational meeting at WHS. The meeting is being held to provide parents with information regarding Title I and Title III (ESL support). This meeting will be held
November 28th, and volunteers should arrive at 6:00 pm. and stay until 7:30 p.m.
Parents will be listening to information in the WHS media center, and volunteers are needed to supervise their children during this time.
If you are able to help out with this event, please contact
or see her in room A226 at WHS for more information.
for a list of current service learning opportunities.
Class of 2019 - Important Info
Attention Juniors and Parents:
The Meningococcal Vaccine (MCV4/Menactra) is required for school attendance and students need to be vaccinated BEFORE the start of their Senior year. At least one dose must be given at age 16 years or older. An updated immunization record needs to be turned in to the school nurse before the start of the 2018-19 new school year. Please begin submitting records as you complete well visits or call your health care provider to fax a copy to school if the vaccine has already been given. Click HERE for complete details.
Questions? Please contact:
Betsy Kaiser, RN
Westlake Ski & Snowboard Club Subway Orders
It is finally available! For those members interested in purchasing the Subway meal package for the Ski & Snowboard Club, please click here. If you have any questions, please contact Jessica Kim at
or via email at
Reflections "Within Reach" Deadline Extended
We have extended the deadline for entries for this year's Reflections program to Monday November 27th. Entries are accepted in the following categories: Visual Arts (including sculpture this year), Photography, Literature, Film Production, Dance Choreography and Musical Composition. For more information, please contact Maureen Spring (
) or Julie Meno (
) Please turn in your entries to your school's office by Monday November 27th so they can be included in the Reflections Art Show at Westlake Porter Public Library on Thursday November 30th from 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm. All are welcome to the art show!
Winter Athlete Families: WDAB Notes
CONCESSION SIGN UP:
Funds realized through the sale of concessions at home sporting events will go to fund ALL sports at WHS and LBMS. We are asking that ALL Winter 2017-2018 athlete families work at least two, 2 hour shifts, at any of the games listed
on this calendar
. Your help is the cornerstone to the success of our efforts and we truly appreciate your willingness to help! Go Demons!!
Westlake Demons Athletic Boosters
Kids are welcome to attend at a discounted price of $15 for grades K-12.
Westlake Council of PTAs
Westlake Council of PTAs' fundraisers make it possible for us to
for students and parents on current topics of interest. Here is information on our fall fundraisers:
Wreaths & Seasonal Decoration Sale
The Westlake Council of PTAs is happy to partner with Dean's Greenhouse to offer you a wonderful selection of seasonal greenery and decorations. Upon checkout, just let the cashier know that you are with WCPTAs and 25% of your purchase will come back to the PTA to assist with providing great programming for our students, parents, and our community.
Jewelry by Crystal Moon Designs: Now - December 1
Purchase unique silver bracelets and necklaces with Westlake charms (map; "W"; or the Westlake Demon mascot).
Details can be found here
Thank you for your continued support! Please contact our Council Fundraising chair, Jessica Kim (email@example.com or 216.548.0948 ), with questions.
Westlake Music Boosters Needs You!
We invite you to join Westlake Music Boosters and get involved and be a part of all the fun! We support all Pre-K through 12 music programs and teachers in our district.
Our next meeting is
Wednesday, January 10th at 7pm in the WHS Library.
12/5 - 5th & 6th grade choral
12/6 - 8th grade
12/7 - WHS Strings
12/11 - WHS Choral
12/12 - 6th grade
12/13 - 7th grade
12/14 - WHS Bands
Increase your ACT scores with strategies proven to succeed!
Students who receive higher scores on ACTs:
---Create greater college admissions opportunities
---Qualify for and can maximize scholarship offerings
University of Akron - Women in Engineering Visit Day is December 9th.
event hosted by the Westlake Historical Society, January 20, 2018 from 2-4p.
Nov 28 - PTSA Meeting,7p
Nov 30 - Reflections Art Show, Porter Library
Dec 9 - WDAB Holiday Sale, WHS Rotunda 9a-12p
Dec 12 -
WDAB Holiday Sale, WHS Rotunda 6-8p
NEWSLETTER SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org; preferred format is in the body of an email or a Microsoft Word document.
- Strict deadline is 5p each Thursday, prior to Monday publication
- Limit text to @150 words; include hyperlinks or pdf attachments that can be uploaded for interested readers to obtain more information
- Items should be copy and paste ready; i.e. do not send a note saying "please add information about..."
- Event items will remain until the event has passed; you do not need to resend each week unless your message has changed.