NOAA predicts near-normal 2019 Atlantic hurricane season
NOAA scientists are predicting a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season this year.  The outlook forecasts a 40% chance for a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.  NOAA scientists say there is a 70% chance that we will see nine to 15 named storms this hurricane season. Named storms have winds of  39 mph  or higher. T he Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30.  Click here for more information.
New City of Tampa Hurricane Re-Entry Program
The City of Tampa Hurricane Re-Entry Program is for residents and businesses in the areas most likely to be evacuated during a hurricane event (within Zip Codes 33602, 33605, 33606, 33607, 33609, 33611, 33616, 33619, 33629 and MacDill Air Force Base 33621 see map).  It is designed to make it easier for residents and business representatives to re-enter the area after evacuation orders have been lifted.

During a catastrophic hurricane event, public safety officials will screen vehicles attempting to re-enter the impacted area. In an effort to avoid long lines, the vehicle Re-Entry Hang Tag will allow public safety officials to quickly identify vehicles approved to re-enter. Those vehicles will be waved through, bypassing the normal public screening required to enter the affected area. The Re-Entry Hang Tag Program will enhance safety and speed up the recovery process by getting residents and business representatives in. 

This new City of Tampa program replaces the re-entry program that was previously managed by Westshore Alliance. The City of Tampa Office of Emergency Management is in the process of mailing hang-tags to commercial property owners in the Westhore District that are located within the zip codes identified above. For more information or to request additional passes, please click here.
Hurricane Preparedness & Emergency Resources
2019 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday
The 2019 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday was passed by the Florida Legislature and signed into law by Governor Ron DeSantis. This sales tax holiday begins Friday, May 31, 2019 and extends through Thursday, June 6, 2019.  During this sales tax holiday period, qualifying items related to disaster preparedness are exempt from sales tax.  For more information and a list of qualifying items, please click here .
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Coastal Flood Map Updates
A multi-year process led by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is underway to update coastal flood maps for Hillsborough County. The coastal flood risks reflected on current flood maps are based on obsolete data and technology more than 30 years old. The 2007 countywide flood map update did not include an updated analysis of the coastal flood risk and does not reflect new development or changes in shoreline. Click here for more information.
City advancing Westshore area projects
Drivers in the Westshore area will notice smoother roads and more sidewalks soon. The City of Tampa is planning to resurface many of the streets between West Shore Blvd. and Lois Ave., north of Kennedy Blvd. and south of I-275 in 2020. Rocky Point Dr. is also planned for 2020. The City recently completed resurfacing on Himes Ave. between Martin Luther King Blvd. and Hillsborough Ave. The resurfacing projects are in addition to planned pedestrian improvements on Fig St., Grady Ave., Gray St., Hubert Ave., Lois Ave. and Spruce St. For more information on City projects visit their  transportation improvements page and  resurfacing page.
Crime Trend Alert
Property theft continues to be the top reported crime in Westshore. Follow these Tampa Police Department Crime Prevention Tips to reduce your risk of becoming a victim:
  • Close your vehicle windows and lock your doors.
  • Do not leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicle. Remove them or lock them in your trunk.
  • Do not leave your keys in the vehicle. Remove the valet key, these are often found in the owner's manual.
  • Park where your car will be frequently and easily seen.
  • Park in well-lit areas when possible.
  • Do not leave your garage door open.
  • Install and use a car alarm.
  • Never leave your vehicle unattended while the engine is running. This is State Law.
  • Secure your valuables in your office and don't allow unauthorized personnel access.
If you see suspicious activity report it to local law enforcement at (813) 231-6130 or a person of authority. In the event of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Help prevent vehicle burglary and theft by inviting the Tampa Police Department to conduct 
"Operation Tag-It"  at your business location. During Tag-It, officers walk your property to identify potential crime opportunities and alert motorist via a tag on their windshield of UNLOCKED vehicles and VISIBLE valuables that could entice a thief. Please note, TPD will NOT open doors or enter vehicles. 
Tags are also placed on vehicles with no visible valuables so that criminals are not alerted to which vehicles have valuables in them.

Contact TPD's Neighborhood Affairs Liaison Maryanne Hunsberger at (813) 354-6692 or for scheduling.
Want to stay up-to-date on the latest transportation and pedestrian improvements happening in Westshore? View our interactive map here and subscribe to the Alliance's Traffic News here.

Police Non-Emergency 
( 813) 231-6130
Code Enforcement
( 813) 274-5545
Animal Control 
(813) 744-5660
Solid Waste
(813) 348-1112
Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay
(800) 873-TIPS
Crisis Center

  Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter  View on Instagram  View our profile on LinkedIn