Send This E-newsletter to
Everyone You Know
What Churches Must Do Now to
Help Save Black Communities
Jan. 1, 2018
Reprint from Nov. 19, 2014
By Syndicated Columnist Cathy Harris
"People perish for the lack of knowledge."
exactly is the meaning of this statement?" It is a complex way of saying,
"What you don't know can kill you!"
It means that churches need to set up
educate the community
Do you need insight on developing community forums? Whether you are a
, a pastor of a smaller church or a pastor that just opened your doors, the goal is to become a
wake up the people
because without food, clothing and shelter - people can't survive.
This article is written to give churches and other establishments that have
physical addresses vital information on how to set up
community forums to
empower the people.
First of all we need to understand that churches
get back to where they were in the 60's when they totally took care of the community. But with all the
misinformation, old wives tales
that have caused people to sink deeper into despair and hopelessness today - it is time for every church, organization, or group to at least provide
to educate the community.
One would hope that they could get all the information they need on TV, in newspapers and on the internet, but that is definitely not the case, so therefore, churches can serve as a major
information dissemination point
If you are a pastor thinking about setting up forums then this makes you a
. We have many pastors out there who feel they don't have the resources or contacts to pull off educating the community, but that is definitely not true.
FIRST STEP - DO YOU HAVE THE RESOURCES TO PULL OFF HAVING FORUMS IN THE COMMUNITY?
First of all in order to set up forums in the community you will need three (3) things: 1) A church or a building, 2) Electricity, and 3) Parking (People will not come out to forums if they do not have sufficient and SAFE parking -- especially women).
SECOND STEP- WILL YOU APPOINT SOMEONE OR A GROUP TO HELP SET UP FORUMS?
Next you will need to decide if you will take on this responsibility yourself or assign a program director or someone else from your church to relay back to you all the
relevant information on the forums.
THIRD STEP - WHAT TYPE OF FORUMS SHOULD YOU HOLD?
Then you want to decide which type of forums to set up. There are
two types of forums that work well in church settings:
1) You can set up a forum and invite an expert from the community who will be speaking on relevant topics to
empower people in your church and community. They could speak for any time limit (30 minutes to an hour), but remember the goal is to
provide sufficient time for questions from the audience. And remember many people who have questions will be
intimidated to ask questions so make it easier for them by providing as much information as possible.
2) You can also set up
panel discussions and invite more than one expert. You can invite a panel of experts (4 - 6 people or more) to give the latest updates on
relevant issues and answer questions from the audience. With panel discussions you will need a moderator who could be one of the experts sitting on the panel or someone you appoint to move the questions and answers back and forth to the audience. A moderator is simply a person who presides over a panel discussion.
FOURTH STEP - WHAT TIME AND HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU SET UP FORUMS?
After you decide what type of forums you are going to set up - decide
dates you will be setting up these forums. Will they be every week, once a month, or twice a month?
FIFTH STEP - WHAT TOPICS SHOULD YOU DISCUSS?
Decide on the topics of your forums. Some of the
main issues in the community at this time include:
- Economic Empowerment
- Political Empowerment
- Housing Industry
- The Criminal Justice System
effective leader such as a pastor should be knowledgeable about history, must not be afraid to touch it and should respect
all segments of the community from grassroots, youth, elderly, business proprietors, professionals, laborers, and other clergy.
SIXTH STEP - WHO DO YOU INVITE?
First of all you need to realize that you do not know everything and it will be important to
bring in the right people to your church to help educate your congregation and the community.
In deciding what experts to invite - most of them should have their
own websites, which will make it easier for you to see exactly what they are doing and what services and products they are offering the community -- so google.com them and conduct research before inviting them.
expert is a person who has a special skill or knowledge in some particular field. You will see these experts in community newspapers, on t.v. and on the internet. Many will be speakers with services or products such as books, booklets, pamphlets, CD's, DVD's, Special Reports, etc.
A speaker is a person who speaks formally before an audience. There are
two (2) types of speakers -
public speakers. A professional speaker spends most of their time speaking for a living. A public speaker is a person who delivers a speech. Politicians are public speakers. Most speakers make good moderators and panelists.
Support church members and your local legislators by allowing them to participate:
Some of these experts can be members of your
congregation so support them by allowing them to participate in these forums. But just make sure they are not involved in any type of
negative or false advertising such as
(aka Pyramid Schemes)
such as (Noni-juice, Melaleuca, Primerica, Pre-paid Legal/Legal Shied, YTB Travel, Ameriplan, ACN, Ignite Energy, Ambit Energy, Amway/Quixtar, Body Magic, Herballife, Karatbars Intl., USANA Health Services, World Financial Group, Juice Plus, Warm Spirits, 5linx, Young Living, (MCA) Motorclub of America, etc.)
The last thing you want to do is to continue to march people off cliffs and bringing the
wrong person to your church
could mean others will stop coming. Remember the goal is to empower -- not weaken the community. You also want to be careful of
, which are doing nothing but begging for money.
Also look for legislators to come in and speak at your forums. Start with the
legislators in your area
and have others who are doing great work in the community.
are responsible for many things that happen in the community.
They are responsible for dispersing funds and making laws, therefore, it is important to work with these individuals. It is always good to build relationships with legislators in the community, but do not get so friendly with them that you lose touch -- when they do not do the right thing.
Too often church families think they cannot make a
difference in our voting system. It is true that according to IRS regulations, a church
should not endorse
nor should a church
distribute campaign literature
, raise money for candidates, or do anything to persuade churchgoers to vote a particular way. However, this does not mean churches cannot make a difference. A church can
by supporting the
"Get Out the Vote" campaigns.
Other groups you can invite include: 1) Attorneys, 2) Educators, 3) Community Leaders, and 4) Community Banks so the community can support them.
SEVENTH STEP - HOW DO I GET THE WORD OUT?
You would not believe how many people set up forums in the community, but do not have a way to inform the community about these forums. If you have the
same people coming out to your forums, you need to conduct
Remember your forums should be an invitation for
to come out and
so the goal is to e
xpand your audience attendance.
To inform everyone you are educating the community, you
form business alliances
with media entities.
Sometimes these media entities can be members of your church or they can be local publishers, editors, or reporters with community newspapers, producers and hosts of radio shows including internet radio shows, TV shows including community public television.
Inviting media entities
out will help you
get more exposure for your forums
because if they are the guest
speaker, part of a panel discussion, moderators or if they cover the forums, then chances are you will get more exposure for your community forum.
If you are having
then there is a good chance media entities will place your announcement about your forum in their outlets
but again everything depends on w
hat type business alliances
you have formed with media outlets.
If you are charging a fee for a community forum, then it is only business and you might have to
pay to advertise your forums
. Most of these media entities prefer that you send them a press release -- either by email or hand it to them in person so you can get to know them.
You also want to post your forums in your
weekly church bulletins
, on church bulletin boards, and have your members spread the word by telling others ("Word of Mouth") and passing out flyers.
Flyers are always the
cheapest way to advertise, but
building relationships with media outlets will save you a lot of money in the long run because they can cover a much wider area.
radio has the greatest potential to reach more people so utilize
internet radio for your announcements. When the community find out that you are providing this
great information in your forums, then chances are they will want to be a
part of your congregation.
You can also ask for donations at these forums that can help pay for any resources you give out to the community and help to pay any bills associated with the church.
Other steps that your church can take to empower your congregation and the community include:
- Churches can become a Community Resource Center. They can put together a list or directory of resources in the community
- Join local Chambers of Commerce so you can see what businesses are coming into the community and form business alliances and strategic partnerships with other businesses.
- Create a Business Directory/Create Chamber of Commerce in Church and have Saturday's Entrepreneurship Day, where members and the community support church entrepreneurs especially youth entrepreneurs.
- Create an Apprenticeship/Mentorship Program.
- Create a Business Training School or Institute.
- Give regular Youth and Adult Business/Job Fairs.
- Bring Legislators, Speakers and Trainers in to train and empower your congregation and community.
- Set up Computer Labs and Internet Satellite Centers.
- Motivate Young People by Creating a Church Band.
- Create a Speaker's Bureau for Young People - Orators Competition similar to the ACT-SO program in the NAACP.
- Create Sewing, Knitting and Crocheting Groups.
- Open a Church Fitness Gym & Basketball Court.
- Give Regular Aerobic, Yoga and Meditation Classes.
- Create Walking Clubs and Walking Trails.
- Start your own Grocery and Health Food Stores.
- Create Thrift Stores/Clothing Drives (Drop-offs & Pick Up)
- Set up Food Pantries (Donations & Pick Up)
- Create your own Credit Union for your Members and the Community.
There are a ton of
community resources out there and sometimes having
community forums will be the
best way to educate the community on how to find them.
Cathy Harris is an Empowerment and Motivational Speaker, Advice Columnist at DearCathy.com, Non-GMO Health and Wellness Expert, Business and Self-Publishing Coach and the non-fiction author of 25 non-fiction books. She is available for seminars and workshops and can be contacted through her empowerment company, Angels Press, P.O. Box 19282, Austin, TX 78760, Phone: (512) 909-7365, Website:
The Problems With Most
Top Steps To Take
Before and After You
For Immediate Release
Jan. 1, 2018
Attn: Cathy Harris, CEO and President
P.O. Box 19282
Austin, TX 78760
Cathy Harris Launches 3
rd Movement Within One Year
"Mobile Learning Clubs"
Cathy's will be working with black families to turn their homes and businesses into "learning clubs". She will volunteer to come in and show families how to set up empowerment events right there in their own homes and businesses by using the meetup.com social media platform or she will be giving consultations by phone.
When Cathy holds "in-home" seminars, workshops, consultations/coaching sessions, she will be offering 40% of her book sales to home owners and businesses, and others should do the same with their products and services. It's a WIN-WIN for everyone!
She will continue to come up with weekly or bi-weekly action plans for the entire family through monthly Masterminds, Think Tanks and Classrooms, Virtual Summits, Roundtables, Panel Discussions, Symposiums, Town Hall Meetings, Brainstorming Sessions, and other serious meetings and conferences, as she provide communities with the following:
- Goal Setting/Dream Mapping/Vision Boards Workshops
- Personal Development Workshops (Self-Esteem, Etiquette, Grooming/Personal Hygiene, Financial Literacy, Home Buying, Relationship, etc.)
- Parenting Workshops (School Monitors and Tutoring Programs, Home Learning Centers, Neighborhood Bookclubs, Sistahood/Village Neighborhood Watch Programs, Police Interactions 101, etc.)
- Natural and Holistic Health Training (Home, Community and School Gardening Projects, Food Co-ops and Food Coalitions)
- Business Workshops for Youth and Adults
- Blogging, Articles and Non-fiction Book Writing Workshops
- Workplace and Whistleblower Training
- Train the Trainer Workshops
The main focus of this new movement will be health and business opportunities. The goal is to become "100% self-sufficient" in our dealings with each other as we grow and build "legitimate" businesses. We will especially focus on matching up "Baby Boomers" with "Generation X's," "Millennials" and "Generation Z's" for mentorship programs.
Cathy Harris is an Empowerment and Motivational Speaker, Non-GMO Health and Wellness Expert, Advice Columnist at DearCathy.com, Self-Publishing and Business Coach. She is also the author of 25 non-fiction books including 5 health books and 2 business books, and she provides seminars, workshops, webinars and consultations through her speaking and training platforms at
and can be reach through her empowerment company, Angels Press, CEO, President, Publisher, P.O. Box
19282, Austin, TX 78760, (512) 909-7365, Phone: (512) 909-7365, Website: http://www.AngelsPress.com, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meetup.com Events for
"Mobile Learning Clubs, Austin, TX
FREE Vision Board Party
Jan. 7, 2018, Sunday,
2:00-4:00 p.m. (CST),
FREE Health Workshop
Jan. 14, 2018, Sunday,
2:00-4:00 p.m (CST),
Everyone all over the country, join this
group today and spread the word
to those you know in these areas.
Austin, Killeen, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston Mobile Learning Clubs
Cathy Harris Releases
Book Number 25
Cathy Harris Military Story Released
After 40 Years
TABLE OF CONTENTS
PREFACE - A NOTE TO THE READER
- How My Childhood Prepared Me for the Military
- My Duty Stations With Only A Sprinkling of Female Soldiers
- The Plight of Female Soldiers
- The U.S. Army's Abusive Personnel Practices
- Military vs. Federal Government - Similar Abusive Practices
- What is Happening Today with Military Recruitment
- Action Plans for All Families
This book has been in the making for over 40 years. As the author of 25 non-fiction books and because this book would be about pain, I kept putting other books before it. After all who in their right mind, want to be in pain.
However, after 40 years, I felt it was just time, to not just walk through the pain, but to write a book that could not just help me heal from my painful memories, but also a book that could help others that have been left BROKE and BROKEN by the military.
When I signed up to serve my country in the U.S. Army, I was on active duty from Nov. 1, 1977 - May 15, 1981. I was in the FIRST GROUP of women that ever trained alongside of men in the U.S. Army, and believe me it was a total fail -- as you will see as you continue to read this book.
So I guess you can say we we all 'guinea pigs' for the U.S. Army and Department of Defense. Despite some of the obstacles I had to face as a female and African American, I will never forget my time in the military -- my 3 and a half year TOUR OF DUTY.
First of all "I want to thank all veterans for their service." When you go on active duty in the military, no two persons will ever have the same experiences.
For some it might be fun and exciting and for others, it might be a total nightmare, especially during war times so my heart goes out to any soldiers, especially during war times.
This book is about my military story over 40 years ago -- not during war times. The war was the
that I experienced alongside of many other male and female soldiers, who served alongside of me.
The atrocities that we experienced and witnessed at the hands of
'out of control'
'above the law'
non-commissioned and commissioned officers, who were low and high ranking sergeants and officers, need to be exposed so that healing can finally take place.
We all were brought up with value systems and all we wanted to do was serve our country in a honorable manner, however, at every turn we were met with shame, disappointment and pain.
For many, such as myself, the pain came from the fact that I was a
. It grew into such a giant force that many soldiers like myself, had no other choice but to
'go along to get along'
-- just to be able to complete our tour of duty.
Instead of looking at a career in the military, because of the unlawfulness that we faced daily, our only goals were to get back home and bring our lives back to some sense of normalcy. Enjoy reading!
For Immediate Release
Oct. 22, 2014
Attn: Cathy Harris, CEO and President
P.O. Box 5288
Atlanta, GA 31107
Cathy Harris Releases Second Business Book, "The New CEO: 185 Easy-To-Set Up Businesses For Youth and Adult Entrepreneurs"
The cost of the e-book is $9.99 and is available in the Amazon Kindle Store at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NGR7R5K.
Kindle e-books can be purchased in their Amazon Kindle Stores for use with the Amazon Kindle, Kindle Cloud Reader, and Kindle Applications for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone 7.
This family-oriented business book like all Cathy's books can be read by 12 year olds and above and lists 185 easy-to-set up businesses that you can start within 2 weeks and start making money.
Chapter 2 of Cathy's first business book lists EVERY STEP (checklist) that you will need to take to set up and launch a successful business. With both books you will be well-equipped with every tool that you need to launch and build a successful business.
Reasons Kids/Young Adults Should Open Their Own Business:
1. They should want to grow up into a responsible adult.
2. They should want to grow up into a great humanitarian.
3. They should want to help their family out financially.
4. They should want to pay for their entire college education
5. They should want to improve the conditions in the community.
6. Because of the economy, they have no other choice.
Reasons Adults Should Open Their Own Business:
Families dream of having their own business -- of being self-employed.
2. Families want more security because of all the downsizing, outsourcing, etc.
3. Your family needs more money (healthy foods, bills, college, etc. Remember one out of every two marriages ends because of finances).
4. Families don't want their kids to be latch key kids.
5. Families are sick of office politics (workplace abuse, cutthroat co-workers, etc.).
6. Families are sick of driving in traffic.
7. When a spouse is transferred to another region - the other spouse would rather start a business than find a job.
Alarming U.S. Statistics:
- 20% of American families do not have one single family member employed at this time.
- One out of every six men in their prime (25 to 54) do not have a job.
- More than 20% of children are living in poverty.
- Over a million public school children are homeless.
- 53% of wage earners makes less than $30,000 a year.
- Half of all college graduates are still relying on their parents for financial support even after being out of school for 2 years.
The solutions to all of the above is to look at business ownership for youths and adults as viable options to save families -- especially our youth. Unlike adults, our youth have not been scarred or damaged and many can form thriving futures by learning about business early on - so that they can truly create the lives that they love.
Cathy Harris is available for media interviews. She is a Speaker, Author, Trainer and is available for business seminars and workshops and can be reached through her empowerment company, Angels Press, P.O. Box 19282, Austin, TX 78760, Phone: (512) 909-7365, Website: http://www.angelspress.com. Email: email@example.com.
"The New CEO: 185 Easy-To-Set Up Businesses for Youth and Adult Entrepreneurs"
(Available as E-book and Paperback)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Top Businesses for People Who Like to Cook/Bake
- Top Businesses for People With Green Thumbs
- Top Businesses for People Who Like Cars
- Top Businesses for People Who Like Animals
- Top Businesses for People Who Like Computers
- Top Businesses for Writers
- Top Businesses for People Who Like Photography/Videos
- Top Businesses for People Who Like Entertainment
- Top Businesses for People Who Like To Sew or Crafts
- Top Businesses for People Good With Their Hands
- Top Businesses Dealing with Children or Babies
- Top Miscellaneous Businesses
Learn more dynamic business information in
Cathy's business books
"How To Take Control of Your Own Life: A Self-Help Guide to Starting Your Own Business" and
"The New CEO: 185 Easy-To-Set Up Businesses for Youth and Adult Entrepreneurs"
Cathy Harris Business Books
Now Available as E-books and Paperbacks
Downloadable Webinars - $9.99 on Sale for $4.99
Downloadable Audios - $9.99 on Sale for $4.99
E-Articles - $9.99 on Sale for $4.99
Coming Soon as PDFs, Audios or Webinars
- 7 Steps To A Beautiful Smile
- 7 Steps To Beautiful Skin
- How Much Water Should You Drink Daily and What's the Best Type of Water to Drink?
- What Are The Best Vitamin and Mineral Supplements To Take?
- How To Establish Good Sleeping Habits
- How To Turn Your Brain Back On and Stop Depression
- What You Need To Know About Yeast
- Why Chicken is Bad for You and The Best Type of Meat to Eat
- How To Create Your Own Speaker's Tour
- How To Create Your Own Public Relations (PR)/Marketing Company
- How To Stop Racial Profiling and Police Brutality and much, much, more..
Are You Ready to Make
Your Dream Come True of
Writing A Book?
How To Write A Book: The Complete Guide
To Writing and Publishing Your Own
Paperback and E-book
Available as E-book, Paperback & Audiobook
HOW TO WRITE A BOOK by CathyHarrisInternational.com
Audiobook Available at:
Available as E-book and Paperback
Cathy Harris Audiobooks
Also available as E-books & Paperbacks
Find Cathy Harris on Social Media
Join Cathy's Groups on Facebook.com
Join Cathy's Meetup.com Groups
All Books are Available at AngelsPress.com
Brought To You By
Empowerment and Motivational Speaker,
Non-GMO Health and Wellness Expert, Advice Columnist at DearCathy.com, Self-Publishing and Business Coach and author of 25 non-fiction books at
Cathy Harris, Speaker, Author, Coach
Angels Press, CEO, President, Publisher
P.O. Box 19282
Austin, TX 78760
(Seminars, Workshops, Coaching)
Empowerment & Publishing Company
The Cathy Harris Story