The Poison Post ®
Brought to you by Poison Control Centers
December 2019 Edition
We Need Your Help!
We need your help to continue to provide life-saving services online and by phone, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Make a donation now! We need the support of every one of our readers, so contribute what you can today. If you're not already convinced, watch this video to learn why it's important to support us.
The Baby Ate a Bath Bomb!
When used as directed, bath bombs and fizzies are safe. Swallowing small amounts may cause minor effects such as oral irritation, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Larger amounts can cause serious toxicity.  Learn more...
St. John's Wort and Drug Interactions
St. John's wort is generally regarded as safe when taken alone and in recommended doses. However, it is well known to have several drug interactions that can result in serious adverse effects.  Learn more...
Blister Beetles: Do Not Touch!
Blister beetles excrete a toxic blistering agent called cantharidin, which can cause irritation and blistering when it comes in contact with the eyes, skin, mouth, throat, or digestive tract.  Learn more...
Are Rosary Peas Poisonous?
Abrus precatorius beans (also known as rosary peas) are commonly used in foreign-made jewelry and toys, but are highly toxic to humans. If eaten, they can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Learn more...
Save the Number, Save a Life!
Go to or text poison to 484848 to download Poison Control's contact info directly to your smartphone. Be prepared! Download and save the phone number and the link to online guidance for a suspected poisoning. Do it now!
Two ways to get help for a poison emergency:
Both are free and confidential. Both provide expert guidance based on age, weight, and amount.