As Women’s History Month comes to a close, we thought we would take the opportunity to spotlight one of our absolute favorite TV characters: Buffy, from the groundbreaking series
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
. Any discussion of feminism, pop culture, and media literacy would be incomplete without mentioning her! While we love the whole
series, we’ll focus on just one episode for this newsletter: “The Witch” (Season 1, Episode 3). This episode is appropriate for Grades 7+ and available to watch on Hulu. We think it’s a fun and engaging springboard for kids, parents, and teachers to examine gender representation in the media.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: “The Witch” (Season 1, Episode 3) Viewing Questions:
- Notice everything you can about the main character, Buffy. What does she look like? How does she behave? What does she want?
- Notice everything you can about the other characters we meet. What do they look like? How do they behave? What do they want?
- Describe the relationship between Buffy and her mom. Do they understand each other? What do they want from each other?
- Describe the relationship between Amy and her mom. Do they understand each other? What do they want from each other?
- Who is the “hero” in this episode? How do you know?
- Who is the “villain” in this episode? How do you know?
- Do you notice any examples of gender stereotypes? Are any of the stereotypes confirmed? Are any of the stereotypes disproved or ignored?