This Week's Recommendations for Older Viewers
Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2001)
Recommended for Grades 7+
Available to stream on Netflix
No introduction to modern Indian culture would be complete without a Bollywood movie and no modern Indian celebration would be any fun without music and dancing from a Bollywood movie. Although the Bollywood film industry is considered number two in the world, it produces more movies on average than any other country making more than 1000 a year. There are hundreds of films that include great music and dancing and every fan has their favorites. One of the great Diwali scenes in film comes from our recommendation this week. The story is this: Rahul marries a poor woman, for which he is immediately disowned by his father and he then moves to London to build a new life. Years later, his younger brother Rohan embarks on a mission to bring Rahul back home and reunite the family. Packed with icons of the industry—Shahrukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Kajol, Amitabh Bachan and Kareena Kapoor—K3G is a romantic family drama that includes the hit songs, “Bole Chudian,” “Yeh Latka Hai Allah,” and “You are my Soniye.”
- Describe each member of the family we meet at the beginning of the film. What do we learn about them? How does each member interact? What kinds of expectations are placed on the sons? What are the traditions of the family according to their father?
- Over the course of the film how does love come into conflict with filial duty to family?
- Who is Rahul supposed to marry? How does he feel about it and why? How does Pooja feel about it and why?
- Who does Rahul fall in love with and how do we know that it is love at first sight? What happens as a result of his infatuation?
- Despite Rohan’s respect for his father, what does he do to bring the family back together? Why do you think his father gives in at the end?
- Which song was your favorite and why? Which dance was your favorite and why?
- Which actor did the best crying? Dancing? Acting?
Chak de India (2007), Amazon Prime
C/O Kancharapalem (2018), Netflix
Lagaan (2001), Netflix
Mohabbatein (2000), Amazon Prime
Quick Gun Murugan (2009), Amazon Prime
Rang De Basanti (2008), Netflix