His Dark Materials: "Lyra’s Jordan"
Recommended for Grades 8+
Available to stream on HBO
Based on the Philip Pullman book series of the same name, this first season follows the narrative of the first book,
The Golden Compass. In the first episode, we are introduced to our strong-willed protagonist, Lyra Belacqua, who lives in a parallel world to ours in which human souls take the form of animal companions called daemons. Dark forces are at work in her world, and we learn that many children have been kidnapped by beings known as Gobblers. When her best friend Roger goes missing, Lyra vows to save him.
- Describe Jordan College. How does Lyra fit in there? What is she like as a character?
- What kind of things are different from our world in this fantastical universe? What did the first episode get right in portraying this world that the book describes?
- What are daemons and what do you think they symbolize? How are humans different from daemons? Why do you think daemons are the opposite sex from their human companions?
- What tone is set in the first episode of the show? How does the episode tell us who or what is good and who or what is evil?
- What did you think of Lord Asriel’s behavior? What significance might dust have?
- Why does Lyra leave Jordan College and what do you think will happen to her and Pan next?
A Wrinkle in Time
Trilogy by Madeleine L’Engle
Trilogy by Garth Nix
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander
Harry Potter movies
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Tales from Earthsea (2006)