Calendar of Events
See more events at
Guided tours are offered by appointment only, Monday - Friday at 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 1:00, 2:00 and 3:00. Self-guided tours anytime Monday-Friday, no appointment needed. Guided Saturday Tours are offered at 9:00, 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00 (group reservation requested but not required).
Call Lisa Franklin,
Site Director, at
334-242-3188 for more information.
Guided Tours and Small Arms Demonstrations every Tuesday and Thursday at 10:00am. For more information c
Alabama Department of Mental Health (ADMH) consumer art show.
For more information contact Lisa Franklin,
Site Director, at
Mother's Day Brunch at 11:30am. Tickets are $25.00 and visitors are encouraged to RSVP by May 11. For more information contact Lindsey Bennett at
334-687-8469 or email@example.com.
French & Indian and War Re-enactment. For more information c
Freedom Rides 57th Anniversary Book signing with B.J. Hollars and presentation with Freedom Rider Dr. Ernest "Rip" Patton, Jr.
The author will discuss his new book,
The Road South: Personal Stories of the Freedom Riders, which will be available for purchase at the museum.
For more information c
Living History Memorial Day Tribute. Staff will be dressed in uniforms from various periods of Fort Morgan's occupation.
For more information call 251-540-5257.
May 28-June 22
Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services' Poster Exhibit.
For more information contact Lisa Franklin,
Site Director, at
Join Us to Celebrate Preservation Month in May
We spend all year advocating for places that matter. During Preservation Month, we dedicate time to celebrate and explore historic places in innovative ways.
This May, the Alabama Historical Commission invites you to help celebrate Alabama's Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). AHC will be highlighting Alabama's HBCUs throughout the month of May. Be sure to follow along on social media!
In January 2017, the Alabama Historical Commission received funding through the National Park Service's (NPS) Underrepresented Communities Historic Preservation Fund to develop an Alabama HBCUs Survey and National Register Nomination Project. A major goal of this project is to collect information that will formally recognize all nine of the four-year HBCUs in Alabama, as well as support preservation efforts of current and future administrations as plans are made to upgrade campus infrastructure, launch capital campaigns, and apply for NPS grant funding.
The campuses include Alabama State University in Montgomery, A&M University and Oakwood College in Huntsville,
Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Talladega College in Talladega, Selma University and Concordia College in Selma, Stillman College in Tuscaloosa and Miles College in Birmingham.
Share this list on social media, and compete with your preservation pals to see who can check the most off this list (and follow us on
2 Read the latest AHC newsletter.
3 Share your photos of an HBCU in your area. Don't forget to use #ThisPlaceMatters and #AlaHisCom.
5 Read about Alabama's HBCUs and share what you learned on our Facebook page.
to receive the latest AHC news straight to your inbox!
8 Contact your elected officials to discuss preservation issues where you live. And do not forget to register to vote! Local, state, and national elections can have a huge effect on preservation.
on our brand new Instagram page!
12 Volunteer with an HBCU in your area to help educate high school students and your local community.
Is there an HBCU in your area? Take a walk around your neighborhood.
Play history detective
to find out more about its unique past.
for HBCUs and other preservation-related causes.
18 Plan an event with local preservationists to celebrate HBCUs. Your options are limitless, from historic bike rides to city tours.
19 Create preservation art! Paint or draw your favorite HBCU and be sure to share it on social media (don't forget to use #ThisPlaceMatters and #AlaHisCom).
Alabama Historical Commission Hosted NPS Meeting
The Alabama Historical Commission hosted the biennial meeting of the National Park Superintendents. Each park presented an update on their noteworthy projects and upcoming events. The AHC welcomed representatives from Horseshoe Bend National Military Park, Russell Cave National Monument, Little River Canyon National Preserve, Natchez Trace Parkway, Selma To Montgomery National Historic Trail, Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site, and Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site.
Friends of the Freedom Rides Museum to Honor Bruce Boynton
Join the Friends of the Freedom Rides Museum for "Bringing Down the Signs: Bruce Boynton and the 1961 Freedom Rides."
This event, on Friday, May 18 at 2:00pm, will honor Mr. Boynton, whose Supreme Court case led to the end of racially segregated highway bus, train, and air travel.
A photo ID is required to enter the Frank M. Johnson Courthouse. Cell phones and cameras are not permitted.
This event is sponsored by the Friends of the Freedom Rides Museum and the Freedom Rides Museum, operated by the Alabama Historical Commission.
For more information download the flyer here.
Certified Local Governments
Currently, Alabama has 29
Certified Local Governments
(CLGs), which are cities with locally established historic preservation commissions meeting AHC and NPS standards. These communities put a priority on identifying, protecting and promoting their historic places.
Many of these cities place special regulations on development in their historic neighborhoods and downtowns. They host events and presentations to educate people on historic preservation practices and issues. Local commission members attend state and national training to learn about programs to assist with community development efforts. City governments rely on commission members to help with rehabilitation projects for important community buildings and public spaces. They also support publications and website resources to promote tourism, business development and reinvestment in historic districts. CLGs can compete for annual grant funds to assist with these activities.
The most recent projects funded in the FY18 grant cycle are:
- Grant funds will produce a rehabilitation feasibility study to assist Foley's efforts to put downtown buildings back into use.
- Huntsville Historic Preservation Commission will manage a project to document history and architectural history of Edmonton Heights, an important neighborhood associated with Alabama A&M University and Huntsville's mid-century African-American community.
|Residence in Edmonton Heights, Huntsville, Ala.
Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage
is a listing of buildings, sites, structures, objects, and districts worthy of preservation. These properties may be of national, state, and local significance. The designation is honorary and carries no restrictions or financial incentives. The Alabama Historical Commission created the Alabama Register to provide the public with a quick and easy way to document and recognize historic places, such as houses, schools, churches, and commercial buildings that are at least 40 years old.
Calhoun County, Ala. --
Located in the heart of downtown, the Oxford Historic District was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage for its association with commerce and architecture.
On February 7, 1852, the town of Oxford was incorporated. With the construction of the railroad between the years of 1859 and 1862, the town saw an increase in population and the construction of the Oxford Iron Company.
After the Civil War, Oxford boomed with a bustling economy from the cotton trade business. With an increase in population and trade, the town became the hub of the southern part of Calhoun County.
In 1869 Daniel P. Gunnells constructed the first brick mercantile building downtown at the corner of Choccolocco and Main Streets. Several years later in 1874 the Moseley Brothers built the second brick store also located on Choccolocco Street. This building currently houses the restaurant Hubbard's Off Main.
Talladega County, Ala. --
The Alpine Baptist Church was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage for its association with religion and architecture.
Originally established in 1832 as the Talladega Baptist Church, it was the first Baptist church in the area and it played a significant role in the religious growth in Alabama.
As more people settled in the area, more churches were established. The Talladega Baptist Church founded the Coosa River Baptist Association, an organization of the Baptist churches, which is still in existence.
In 1872 the church moved to Alpine and was renamed Alpine Baptist Church. In 1973 the church completed an educational extension to include Sunday school rooms, a fellowship hall, and a kitchen. Currently, the church building remains much as it was in 1973 except for an entry porch, a later addition.
Shelby County, Ala. -- The Buck Creek Jail & Water Tower were listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage for their association with industry and architecture.
The jail and water tower are the last remaining structures of the Siluria Mill Village.
The mill was established in 1903, while the main section was not built until 1911. A surrounding community developed to attract and keep workers. The 305-acre Mill Village was occupied by the mill, stores, grocery store, hotel, ballpark, community center clubhouse, medical dispensary, doctor and dentist offices, churches, band hall, movie theater, and a school.
In 2003 the city of Alabaster purchased 22-acres of the Buck Creek Cotton Mills site. In August 2007 most of the buildings were destroyed. In January 2008 only the old jail, the water tower, and the office building remained. However, in early 2009 the office building was demolished due to structural damage caused by an earlier demolition. On September 19, 2010 the City of Alabaster held the grand-opening of the new Senior Center, which is located on a portion of the site where the Buck Creek Cotton Mills once stood.
Jefferson County, Ala. -- Located in McCalla, Alabama, Camp Fletcher was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage for its association with ethnic heritage and architecture.
Established in 1926, Camp Fletcher offered an outdoor haven for African-American children when no other camp was available to them. The site contains nine contributing buildings that date from 1926-1954.
Pauline Bray Fletcher, the camp's founder, was the first African-American registered nurse in Alabama. Fletcher came to Birmingham in 1906 to work at the Children's Home for Negroes Hospital. In 1909 she was employed by United Charities of Birmingham. In 1915 she worked as a field nurse for the American Cast Iron Pipe Company and in 1920 she began working for the Jefferson County Anti-Tuberculosis Association, which is what inspired her to start a camp for African-American children.
On June 10, 1948 the camp was raided by members of the Ku Klux Klan during a training session for Girl Scout leaders. The attackers searched the women's pocketbooks and wrote down their names and addresses. The incident, along with similar raid two days earlier at Camp Blossom Hill in Birmingham's Brummitt Heights neighborhood, prompted Birmingham attorney Abe Berkowitz to form a coalition of business and civic groups to demand better enforcement against Klan terrorism. In 1949 Governor Jim Folsom signed an "Anti-Masking Bill" aimed at reducing Klan activity.
Camp Fire USA began leasing the camp during the summers in 1981. The Youth Service League merged with Camp Fire in 2003 to help preserve the camp. Currently Camp Fletcher boasts a 100-seat dining hall, three dormitory cabins, an outdoor environmental classroom, a swimming pool, low ropes course, and general store.
Baldwin County, Ala. --
Located in Spanish Fort, Alabama, Fort McDermott, a Confederate fortification, was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage for its association with military history and archaeology.
It was established in 1864 as part of the Spanish Fort Complex, which also included Spanish Fort and Red Fort. The fortifications were connected by a two-mile line of earthworks, redoubts, rifle pits, and gun batteries.
A Union attack on the fortifications began in 1865 and lasted for 13 days. The fortifications were abandoned as most of the Confederate troops fled across the river and toward Fort Blakeley. The battle at Spanish Fort shifted to the Battle at Fort Blakeley later that day. In 2015 the Sons of Confederate Veterans Raphael Semmes Camp 11 restored the fort area
revealing the well-preserved earthworks of the former Confederate battery.
Coffee County, Ala. --
Located in Elba, Alabama, the Elba Theatre was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage for its association with social history and theatre history.
Originally built in 1933, the property was purchased by Mr. W.J. Brackin in 1943. After months of renovations the theatre opened with upgrades to the façade, décor, lighting, heating, sound, projection equipment, and comfortable new seats. The seating on the main floor could then accommodate 600 while the balcony provided room for another 250 people.
n June 20, 1963, Mrs. W.J. Brackin announced the closure of the Elba Theatre. Over the next few years the theatre exchanged hands three times before finally closing in 1968. By 1969 the theatre building was gutted and divided into business space. The local non-profit group Restoration154, created in 2011, purchased the Elba Theatre building and is committed to the restoration of the structure.
St. Clair County, Ala. --
Reeves Grove Baptist Church, established in 1872 by the McCorkle family, was listed to the Alabama Register for its association with religion and architecture. The McCorkle's, a family of Baptist faith, came from South Carolina and settled in St. Clair County. Their large plantation included the present Reeves Grove Church lot and the cemetery.
At Elizabeth McCorkle's death in 1840, her daughter, Louisa McCorkle, who was married to Anderson Reeves inherited the plantation. In 1872, a small Baptist church was erected on the McCorkle-Reeves land. Lumber for the church was sawed at a mill north of Gadsden, brought down the Coosa River by raft to Greensport, and hauled to the church site by ox-cart.
The church served as a place for community social gatherings. The church also had a girl's broom brigade, which was a type of military-style women's
that marched with brooms instead of rifles. Drilling was a popular form of exercise at the time, when participation in sports was largely restricted to men.
The cemetery pre-dates the church by several years. The oldest marked burial is 1853, with the most recent being 2017. The cemetery has an "old" section and "new" section. The old section has about 200 marked graves and over 50 unmarked graves. The new cemetery has over 250 burials with the first burial dated to 1951. This section is still in use today.
Greene County, Ala. --
Constructed in 1886, the Hardy Homeplace is an I-House with shed addition. It sits on a brick foundation and was placed on t
he Alabama Register for its association with agriculture and architecture.
The Hardy Homeplace was built by William
Stith Hardy and Elizabeth Davis Hardy.
Upon the death of Mr. Hardy in 1910, the Hardy Homeplace was deeded to William Stith Hardy, Jr., who married Mary E. Campbell in 1881. Their family continued to run the farm much the same as his father had, employing many residents of the West Greene community. The farm did not leave the family until it was sold to Col. Smith in 1971. The home remained out of the Hardy family until Donald H. Wood, the great, great, great grandson of the original owners purchased the home in 1996.
The Hardy Homeplace currently serves as the main house for the farm operation which produces cattle, soybeans, timber, corn, cotton, and hay. Many West Greene residents, whose ancestors worked on the farm, are employed there today.
Autauga County, Ala. --
Constructed in 1871, the Pine Flat Presbyterian Church is a wonderful example of a rural, vernacular, single nave church. It was listed to the Alabama Register for its association with religion and architecture.
The original log church building, constructed at the present site in 1829 served the community until 1871 when the present wood frame church building was erected. The church is reportedly the longest, continuously active church in Autauga County. In 2003, the church was used to film the final scene in "Big Fish," based on the book written by Birmingham native Daniel Wallace. It was the location for the funeral of the film's main character.
The Pine Flat Cemetery includes burials dating from the late-1870s to present-day. Among those buried within the cemetery are the earliest settlers of the Pine Flat community, including the Johnson, Lewis, and Norris families. The Johnson family reportedly played an important role in the establishment of the Church in 1829, and even hosted the congregation on their property.
Projects Approved for Federal Tax Credits
The National Park Service oversees the Preservation Tax Incentive program jointly with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). To qualify, the building has to be listed in the National Register, either individually or in a historic district. Additionally, the property must be used for income-producing purposes. For more information concerning standards and guidelines please visit
The Alabama Historical Commission manages the program for the National Park Service in the state of Alabama. The Commission administers the federal restoration guidelines so the historic materials and look of the building remain.
The Russell School project
in Mobile, Alabama, was approved by the National Park Service for the twenty-percent federal rehabilitation tax credit program.
The 1915 Russell School Building, and the 1945 cafeteria building are contributing resources in the Oakleigh Garden Historic District.
The property was first purchased by the Mobile Board of School Commissioners in 1913. The Russell School was constructed on the property and opened in 1915. A
program for physically disabled children was
established at the school in 1948, and fifty students were enrolled in that program by 1956.
In 1968, following desegregation, the
Russell School building was converted to office space for the school board's curriculum department, while the cafeteria was converted to textbook storage space.
The current owner rehabilitated the former Russell School Building and cafeteria for use as apartments. There was little change to the exterior appearance of the building.
St. Francis Street Methodist Church project
in Mobile, Alabama,
was approved by the National Park Service for the twenty-percent federal rehabilitation tax credit program.
The St. Francis Street Methodist Church was listed individually in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The church and its annex building are also listed as contributing resources to the Lower Dauphin Street Commercial Historic District.
Construction on the church began in 1895 and was completed the following year. The church suffered damage during a 1916 hurricane that led to the loss of the upper spire but left the truncated lower half. The church constructed an educational wing in 1953. The church held its final services in the building in 1993 and leased the building to other churches for several years thereafter.
The current owner rehabilitated the former St. Francis Street Methodist Church building and annex for use as an event space. The exterior appearance remains much the same with its historic stained-glass windows adorning the facades.
Alabama Bicentennial PastPort
Embark on an adventure with the
Alabama Bicetennial PastPort
! Turn back the hands of time and explore Alabama through the lens of nearly 300 historical sites spread across all 67 counties. Unlock mysteries of old, launch courageous quests, and acquaint yourself with larger-than-life legends whose southern roots changed the course of history.
Designed as a guide to commemorate Alabama's historic destinations and celebrate the upcoming bicentennial, the
PastPort is a time-travelers companion to the past and encourages people of all ages to explore every corner of the state. The guide features destinations-including historic sites, museums, and landmarks-with historical information and beautifully designed original artwork.
Alabama Historical Commission sites such as the Alabama State Capitol, Fort Morgan, Fort Mims, Confederate Memorial Park, Old Cahawba, Freedom Rides Museum, and Fort Toulouse-Fort Jackson are among the destinations featured in the PastPort!
Are you ready to explore? Get the PastPort today, and document your journey by getting your book stamped at locations along the way! PastPort is available for purchase online (only $10!) at the
ALABAMA 200 shop
You can also get the Pastport on your phone as a free, interactive mobile app! The PastPort app ensures that anyone, anywhere can make a virtual visit to the state's historic destinations and will soon be available at your mobile app stores.
For more information about the PastPort or Alabama's bicentennial celebrations, please visit
Black Heritage Council Update
At their last quarterly Board Meeting, the Black Heritage Council elected Dr. Joycelyn A. Finley to serve on the BHC board as the Congressional District 1 Representative.
Dr. Finley is the Vice President of the Dora Franklin Finley African-American Heritage Trail in
Mobile and is a professor in the Department of Integrative Studies, Coordinator for the Interdisciplinary Studies Program, Coordinator for Adult Education and College of Education & Professional Studies. She recently served as Department Chair and Professor in the University of South Alabama Department of Interdisciplinary Studies.
Dr. Finley received the National Park Service Certificate of Acceptance for her research on the Wallace Turnage Historical Marker that is now designated on the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom (NTF). The first and only NTF site in the state of Alabama. Her Heritage Tourism experience includes conducting Heritage Tours for the Dora Franklin Finley African-American Heritage Trail. She also develops and presents workshops on Heritage Tourism.
When asked why she wanted to serve on the Black Heritage Council, Dr. Finley replied, "I want to contribute to the public awareness, preservation, protection, and marking of African-American historic sites and stories in the state of Alabama." Dr. Finley received her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan in 1996 in Business Administration with an emphasis in the area of Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management. Her dissertation was entitled Communication Double Binds: The Catch-22 of Conversations about Racial Issues. She also received a Master's of Business Education (MBE) from Eastern Michigan University in 1987 and Bachelor in Business Administration from Eastern Michigan University in 1981.
In addition to the University of South Alabama, Dr. Finley has also taught at Florida A&M University School of Business & Industry, Jackson State University School of Business, Columbia University Graduate School of Business, Eastern Michigan University School of Business and the University of Michigan School of Business Administration. She was a member of the Leadership Mobile Class of 2017 through Mobile United.
Where in the State are AHC Staff?
AHC staff enjoyed participating in the opening of The Legacy Museum and The National Memorial for Peace and Justice. Image Clara Nobles, AHC Assistant Executive Director, Merceria Ludgood, Mobile County Commissioner, and Lisa D. Jones, AHC Executive Director.
AHC staff and members of the Black Heritage Council participated in the Alabama Historical Association's 71st annual meeting in Birmingham. Image (left to right): Elvin Lang, Vice-Chair, Black Heritage Council; Lisa D. Jones, Executive Director, Alabama Historical Commission; Frazine Taylor, Chair, Black Heritage Council; Debra Love, Congressional District 6, Black Heritage Council
Linda Derry, AHC Site Director of Old Cahawba, presented a paper at the AHA annual meeting.
Dylan Tucker, AHC Cultural Resources Specialist at Fort Morgan, gave a presentation at the Civil War Round Table meeting in Mobile
Collier Neeley, AHC National Register Coordinator, gave a brief update on mid-century modern projects in Alabama at a special event sponsored by the Huntsville Area Association of Realtors and the Huntsville Historic Preservation Commission.
Chloe Mercer, AHC Federal Tax Credit Program Coordinator; Amanda McBride, AHC Section 106 Program Head; and Chris Kinder, AHC ALDOT Liaison, enjoyed a tour of the Pratt Gin.
Chris Kinder (on left), AHC ALDOT Liaison, attended the unveiling of an Alabama Historical Commission marker for the Evergreen Cemetery in Elba.
Jacqulyn Kirkland (on far right), AHC Marketing & Public Relations Manager, attended Main Street Wetumpka's mural unveiling.
welcomed C-SPAN to film for their
2018 Cities Tour
The programs C-SPAN produces in Selma will air throughout a special Selma feature weekend May 19-20--literary programming on Book TV (on C-SPAN2, Spectrum channels 85, 764) and history programming on American History TV (on C-SPAN3, Spectrum channels 99, 765).
Old Cahawba hosted the 31st annual reunion of the Sultana Descendants' Association. The members are descendants of Union Civil War soldiers who died in a tragic steamboat accident that occurred more than 150 years ago.
The steamboat Sultana was hired to transport Union prisoners, including many held at Cahaba Federal Prison, back north to return to their homes. Tragically, the ship exploded three days after departing Vicksburg, Mississippi, on April 27, 1865. Some 1,800 passengers were killed, making it the most deadly maritime disaster in U.S. history.
The group toured the prison site. A memorial service honored the Union soldiers.
(Below) Florence Young, President of The Cahaba Foundation, and Lisa D. Jones, Executive Director of AHC, attended the service.
In April the
Alabama State Capitol
Glory & Gratitude to the United States, an exhibit that contains
copies and translations of 20 letters of gratitude beautifully written and decorated by Belgian schoolchildren in 1915. While at the Capitol, The Montgomery Independent interviewed Lisa Franklin (pictured above), Site Director of the Alabama State Capitol, and produced an article on the exhibit. Read it here.
The Goat Hill Museum Store
(located inside the Alabama State Capitol) is set for Mother's Day.
Surprise Mom with a gift from the Goat Hill Museum Store! Mom will adore our jewelry, candles, and Alabama made products.
The annual Civil War Living History & Saturday Skirmish at Confederate Memorial Park offered students an "up close and personal" experience. Living history demonstrations were performed by authentically uniformed and equipped Union and Confederate re-enactors.
The French & Indian War Encampment at Fort Toulouse/Fort Jackson Park focused attention on the main protagonists of the French & Indian War - France, Britain and their American Indian allies. Visitors enjoyed living history demonstrations of military, Indian, and civilian life. Re-enactors were dressed and equipped as they appeared in North America during the middle of the eighteenth century.
Freedom Riders Dr. Bernard Lafayette and Dr. Rip Patton spoke to students from New Zealand's Tauranga Girls' School at the Freedom Rides Museum.
Freedom Riders Kredelle Petway and her brother Alphonso visited the Freedom Rides Museum on and spoke to a group from Columbus State University.
State Historic site is known for its historic attributes it also
serves as vital habitat to hundreds of species. The Alabama Beach Mouse is one of the site's residents currently listed as an endangered species. The US Fish and Wildlife Service work under a management agreement with the AHC to manage the habitat of this species.
Public bird banding returned to the Alabama Gulf Coast this spring, courtesy of Birmingham Audubon and its partners Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources, Mississippi State University, Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism, the Alabama Historical Commission, Mobile Bay Audubon Society and Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge. Fort Morgan State Historic Site hosted the event since the site serves as a vital stopping point for migrating birds. A few hundred visitors were able to observe birds being banded while additional health statistics were gathered on the species. Throughout the program about 500 birds were banded representing over 50 species.
The partnerships between multiple agencies allows the resources to be managed and promoted more effectively while educating visitors.
Fort Morgan has added new programming space in one of the casemates. Special thanks to the Baldwin County Legislative Delegation.
Belle Mont Mansion
in Tuscumbia, Alabama, invited artists to participate in the Painting en Plein Air event.
Happenings Around the State
- Archaeology at Old St. Stephens. For more information please contact George Shorter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-709-7369.
- The 17th Annual Alabama Cemetery Preservation Workshop
will be held in Farrah Hall, Room 214, University of Alabama at 570 University Blvd., Tuscaloosa, AL.
Registration will start at 8:30 a.m. The program will start at 9:00.
After lunch, the workshop will relocate to the historic, Evergreen Cemetery.
For more information click
May 24 - Last chance to see The "Making Alabama: A Bicentennial Traveling Exhibit" at Wallace State Community College's Evelyn Burrow Museum. The ball gown worn by former Alabama first lady Jamelle Folsom is on loan from the Alabama Department of Archives and History during the exhibit. For more information visit the museum's website.
- Alabama Recreational Trails Leadership Workshop from
8:00am to 5:00pm at the
Orange Beach Community Center. This is a fun and informative gathering for those who plan, develop, and manage recreational trails in Alabama. For more information download the flyer here.
Your Town ALABAMA will hold a special event celebrating the past 20 years. The celebration will be at Camp McDowell. For additional information, visit the Your Town Alabama website.
October 13-14 - The Old Claiborne Pilgrimage promises a rare glimpse into the settlement of the forgotten town of Claiborne and Monroe County. This event will feature docent tours of antebellum homes, churches, and sites of historic significance along the Alabama River in Monroe and Clarke Counties. For more information contact the Old Courthouse Museum in Monroeville at 251-575-7433 or visit their
Interested in hosting
A Bicentennial Traveling Exhibit from the Alabama Humanities Foundation (AHF)? As part of the Alabama Bicentennial celebration, Alabama counties and communities are invited to host the exhibition. To host the exhibit please apply
Want to Share Your News and Events to a Statewide Audience?
Send news and event information to the Alabama Historical Commission.
Please mark as "Attention: E-News."