There is something we all should be thinking of doing, not for ourselves, but as a gift to our children, grandchildren, and future generations who may not even be born yet. Write down (or record if it's easier) the story of your life.
The stories you have lived can be treasures for future family members -- so that they can understand your roots and how their family came to be.
The popularity of software like Ancestry.com and Geni have made it so much easier to amass basic data about our relatives. For example, my husband has amassed a family tree of over 2,000 people that are related in some way. It's amazing! But what these programs don't provide is the interesting stories, the problems faced, the challenges overcome and the path that you took to get where you are today.
Your stories matter, and they should be collected. It can be as easy as writing in a notebook, or recording into an audio recorder, or being interviewed by a relative on video. Choose the method that's easiest for you.
Every person's tale is unique, but here are some good questions that you might want to consider as you share your experiences and feelings.
- What is your first memory?
- How did your meet your spouse?
- Tell me about your childhood home.
- Tell me about your wedding day
- Tell me about the day your first child was born
- What were your favorite school subjects?
- Tell me about your favorite teacher
- Tell me about some of your friends
- Describe your first job
- What did you do with your first paycheck?
- What was your favorite job and why?
- Who are some of your heroes?
- Tell me about some of your favorites songs (books, movies & television shows)
- Tell me about some of the places where you’ve been the happiest
Answers to questions like these will help paint a picture of your history that goes far beyond what most family members (particularly young ones) ever think about. And that is a true gift that you can give them.
Of course, with the extra time that the pandemic has caused us all to have, there is no time like the present to start. Have fun!
732.329.4000 x 7682