Albany, N.Y. -The New York State Brewers Association (NYSBA) announced the winners of its third annual New York State Craft Beer Competition. The Governor's Craft Beer Cup given to the Best of Show beer was awarded to Auburn-based
Prison City Pub & Brewery for their "Wham Whams" in the experimental beer category. The Imperial Stout has flavors of toasted coconut, Madagascar vanilla beans and Tahitian vanilla beans.
The Brewery at the CIA out of Hyde Park was named Brewery of the Year, based on the highest cumulative score on all beers entered.
Seventy-four medals were awarded to 53 breweries on March 8, 2019 in an awards ceremony held during the New York State Craft Brewers Conference in Albany, N.Y.
The New York State Craft Beer Competition was held on February 23, 2019 in Rochester, N.Y. with the help of Raise a Glass Foundation, an organization with expertise in coordinating beverage competitions of the highest caliber. Fifty-six judges evaluated 813 New York State-brewed beers - the largest number of entries in the competition's history - from 160 breweries across New York State. The 2019 New York State Craft Beer Competition is sponsored by 1886 Malt House, a New York based ingredient supplier.
"The brewing industry in New York state continues to surge, which is evident by the spike in this year's craft beer entries," said Paul Leone, Executive Director, New York State Brewers Association. "The increase in participating craft breweries comes with tighter competition among high-quality beers. Prison City Pub & Brewery has won three gold medals in the past, so it's exciting to see them take home best in show with this year's Governor's Craft Beer Cup."
Gold, silver and bronze medals were considered for 25 categories. A new category this year, Hazy IPA, received the greatest number of entries with 82 beers, followed by Fruit and Spice Beer (non-sour) with 68 entries.
Gold medal winners by category are:
- Amber and Dark Lagers: Resurgence Brewing Company
- Amber/Red Ale: Dublin Corners Farm Brewery
- American DIPA: Big Ditch Brewing Company
- American IPA: No gold medal awarded
- American IPA Variations: Arrowood Farms
- Barrel Aged (Non-Sour): Kings County Brewers Collective (KCBC)
- Barrel Aged (Sour): The Brewers Collective Beer Company
- Belgian Farmhouse: Catskill Brewery
- Belgian Other: Crafty Ales and Lagers
- Brown Ale: The Brewery at the CIA
- Experimental: Prison City Pub and Brewery (Governors Craft Beer Cup Winner)
- Fruit and Spice Beer (Sour): Threes Brewing
- Fruit and Spice Beer (Non-Sour): Big Alice Brewing Company
- Golden/Blonde Ale: No gold medal awarded
- Hazy IPA: Threes Brewing
- Imperial Stout and Porter: Three Heads Brewing
- Kettle and Simple Sours: No gold medal awarded
- Light Lagers: The Peekskill Brewery
- Pale Ale: Naked Dove Brewing Company
- Porter (Non Imperial): Valcour Brewing Company
- Stout (Non Imperial): Sager Beer Works
- Strong Ale (Non-Belgian): Lunkenheimer Craft Brewing Co.
- Wheat Beer: The Brewery at the CIA
- Wild and Sour Ale: No gold medal awarded
- New York State Beer (*as defined by the current 60% standard): Lunkenheimer Craft Brewing Co.