season of Woodland Transformation efforts has come to an end!
What have we accomplished this season?
1. 13 shrubs planted in rear central woods near pond. Thanks much Gary Sheets for all your help in planting them and assisting with other areas this season. So helpful!!
2. Prepping perimeter areas in south, east and north ends of Woodland for late fall seeding of grasses and flowering plants.
3. Planted potted grass/flowering plants and plugs, in and around Savanna and adjoining part sun/shade area. These areas are near completion now!
4. Spot treating of buckthorn shoots in/around forest area.
5. This September, Gabriel Rohricht, along with his mentor, Connie Lee, is assisting with prepping for winter. Gabriel has logged in 4 of 8 hours needed to fulfill environmental service learning hours for a school project. Thank you so much Gabriel and Connie!
PLANS FOR THIS FALL
, Saturday, 9am – 11am at TLO Forest.
3-4 small/medium sized trees to be cut down. Trunks to be used to line paths. Branches to be piled along flat top hill and other places as refuge for woodland critters. There will also be a need to pick up misc. brush/tree branches in south perimeter areas as we prep for next seasons restoration work. Debris will be piled in an out of way area in south end. No need to haul out. It will all decay over time.
Click to volunteer.
If anyone has one more chainsaw to help cut up branches and as a backup, that would be great.
I’ll have my chainsaw tuned up and blades sharpened, ready to go. Gabriel will be present, working towards 8 environmental service learning hours, to both help and to learn how a tree is cut down.
Forest Restoration Coordinator