The Charles W. Morgan was built in New Bedford in 1841 and is the only surviving 19th century wooden whaling ship in the world. In her over 80 years of service, she sailed the South Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans and brought home a total of 54,483 barrels of sperm whale and other whale oil and 152,934 pounds of whalebone.
In 1924, Colonel Edward Howland Robinson Green, a descendent of one of the original owners, brought the Morgan to his South Dartmouth estate at Round Hill where a wharf, breakwater and cofferdam were built to preserve the ship. The Morgan was opened to the public in 1925 and was toured by over a million visitors.
After Colonel Green's death in 1935 and the hurricane of 1938, she was saved by the Mystic Historical Association (later Mystic Seaport) in Connecticut where she was eventually restored and is now open to the public as a museum ship. The Morgan recently did sailing tours of many New England ports.