Eel Pond channel was originally crossed by fording the shallow waters at low tide or rowing a skiff across. Elijah Swift, who was one of the founders of the Bar Neck Wharf Company that built whaling ships at the present site of the WHOI dock, Smith and Bigelow buildings, petitioned to have the main road (now Water Street) extended in 1843 and a wooden bridge was built to span the channel.