April 5, 2018
Working to Keep the Fashion District Clean & Safe
Cleaning Freeway Overpass Encampments
BID staff attended a meeting with City Council to discuss the increase in encampments underneath freeways. The goal is to create a process through which these encampments can be cleaned regularly. BID staff calls the City about these issues daily. As a result of our work, the encampment at 320 E 18th St. was recently cleaned.
Working with Fire Department to Address Fires
BID staff met with the LA Fire Department Chief and staff to discuss the increase in encampment-related fires and fire hazards in the district. The Fashion District has seen an increase in fires, including fires causing property to damage, in the last year. As a result, the Fire Marshall has offered to assess properties in the district for fire hazards. Property owners interested in having their building inspected can contact the BID at 213-488-1153 or
The Fire Department has also created two flyers for the BID to distribute:
Tree Trimming In-Progress
Tree Trimming is underway in the Fashion District. The BID hired and is overseeing the tree trimming company. Approximately 400 trees are expected to be trimmed by the end of the month.
Upcoming Events & Specials
Fashion District in the News
- Paris Baguette is now open on the corner of 9th and Los Angeles, Apparel News
- Earth Bean Coffee is opening at 1040 S Los Angeles St. This is the second business to open in the recently remodeled property, Twitter
- Upscale boulangerie LA Tropeziene is coming to 8th and Main, Eater LA
- Chef Luke Reyes is bringing his take on Japanese fare to the Fashion District. 9th Street Ramen is taking over the former Chu's Kitched location, 111 W 9th St, by July 2018, DTLAer
- Popular Venice Bakery, Sinners & Saints, is coming to Corporation Food Hall, DTLAer
- South City Fried Chicken is the talk of Downtown, LA Downtowner
- City Market Social House is now open for private events, DTLAer
- Anatra (8th and Santee) is one of the best underrated restaurants in Los Angeles, Eater LA
- Dopolavoro brings gourmet food to the Fashions District, LA Downtown News
- The flower markets made CBS Los Angeles' "LA Bucket List", CBS Los Angeles
Save the Date!
- April 26 - BID Board Meeting, 11:45 a.m.
- May 3 - Marketing Committee Meeting, 10 a.m.
- May 8 - Operations Committee Meeting, 12 noon
- May 17 - Finance Committee Meeting, 10:30 a.m.
- May 24 - BID Annual Meeting, 11 a.m. @ California Market Center (CMC),
Suite C-825, 110 E 9th St. Board meeting will follow.
Renew the BID in 2018!
Submit your petition as soon as possible by email, fax, or mail. If you have not received your petition, please contact the BID immediately.
Los Angeles Street Streetscape Project
The Los Angeles Street Streetscape Project is a $1.77-million makeover that will add pedestrian improvements to Los Angeles Street from 7th Street to Olympic Boulevard.