Providing Affirming Care and Cultural Sensitivity when Working with Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth and Population
Thursday, February 22, 2024
10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Jillian Celentano, LMSW
To educate and bring awareness to attendees on the topic of working with transgender/gender diverse and nonbinary (TGGD) students/clients. The presenter will explore issues across the lifespan of the TGGD population, with consideration to developmental stages, based on education, experience as an advocate for TGGD community, and the presenter’s own lived personal experience. The audience will become familiar with basic language, terminology, and tools that are extremely important when building rapport and trust with students/clients. Resources will be emailed to attendees to have for future references.
- Attendees will understand how to better provide an affirming environment for transgender and gender divers (TGGD) students/clients.
- Attendees will gain familiarity and review language, terminology, and the importance of pronouns.
- Attendees will be better able to know what questions to ask.
- Attendees will explore what gender journeys are, and gain knowledge about the transition process.
- Attendees will explore considerations when working with parents and families.
- Attendees will gain greater insight regarding false information about gender affirming healthcare for TGGD youth
This will be an interactive presentation as attendees will be encouraged to share experiences and ask questions on this topic. The presenter strives to make the audience feel comfortable and supported throughout the presentation.
Jillian is a transgender woman who began her transition in 2016 at the age of 55. She recently received her bachelor's degree in psychology at Albertus Magnus College and her master's degree in social work at Southern Connecticut State University. She is an advocate, social worker, and has organized support groups for transgender/gender diverse children and young adults. Jillian co-authored two published transgender studies at Yale University and is a published author of her book, "Transitioning Later in Life: A Personal Guide.” She is now working at a private practice as a therapist and educator for the transgender/gender diverse community.
1.5 Cultural Competence CECs
$45.00 / Non-members ~ $30.00 / Members ~ $15.00 / Students
Click here to register.