We are thrilled that Governor Whitmer’s orders to close gyms and fitness facilities will be lifted soon as part of our region’s transition to Phase 5 of the MI Safe Start Plan.
Like you, we have missed our Y community and are excited to reconnect. In
preparation, OPERATION REOPEN THE Y is underway! The Y Reopening Team – made up of board, staff, members and volunteers – has worked hard to plan a phased reopening focused on safety and responsibility for staff and members alike. We have consulted trusted resources including the CDC and state and local health authorities to guide our decision-making.
This is new territory for all of us at the Y, so we genuinely appreciate the Y Reopening Team for their input and wisdom. And we thank our members for patience and loyalty as we sort through unprecedented challenges.
From now until we fully reopen -- we will communicate with you
regularly and often via email, web, and social media. Be sure to check your email and follow us on Facebook. Today, we want you to know the following:
MEMBERSHIP DUES REINSTATED THIS MONTH
1. Saginaw YMCA membership dues will be reinstated on June 15, 2020 for all members. Having income is critical to restarting our economic engine with the supplies and manpower needed for staffing, training, sanitizing, and reconfiguring the Y.
2. Members must OPT OUT of paying dues by 12 noon on June 12 if they so choose, with the understanding that they will have no access to activities and facilities upon reopening.
Click HERE for REQUIRED opt out procedures.
3. Outdoor classes and fitness equipment will be available before we reopen, thanks to our amazing group exercise instructors and to extra equipment left over from our “social distancing” wellness floor reconfiguration. Stay tuned for details!
WHAT WILL INITIAL MEMBER EXPERIENCE LOOK LIKE
Upon reopening, the Y will look and feel a little different. Many of the safety steps we are taking are becoming more familiar to you as they are required at most public places.
1. Pre-entry screening: temperature checks and symptom screens will be required to enter the Y. Please do not come to the Y if you have a temperature, dry cough or shortness of breath
2. Front desk: staff will be wearing masks and members will self-swipe membership cards
3. Members masks: members are required to wear masks when entering and leaving the building, when in common areas, but NOT while working out
4. Wellness Center: reconfigured and “re-routed” for proper social distancing
5. Fieldhouse: half of the fieldhouse will be open – members must bring their own equipment. No group sports allowed initially
6. Indoor track: open with social distancing encouraged
7. Pool: lap swim only – with swimmers using Family Locker room for changing only
8. Group exercise classes: outside
During initial reopening, there will be NO access to showers, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, or Kids Zone. There will be NO towel service, day/guest passes, or youth programs.
Over time – as safety and executive orders allow – we will continuously reopen programs and facilities so that members have full and unlimited access to the Y as usual.
Many of us come to the Y for fitness but, at our core, the Saginaw YMCA is about community. We look forward to reconnecting with our Y community soon. Stay tuned for more!
Doug Temple Steve Meyer
Membership & Marketing Director President & CEO