Born and bred in Cambridge, Lois Lilley Howe (LLH) (1864-1964) was one of the first women to graduate from Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s architectural program, the organizer of the only all-woman architectural firm in Boston in the early twentieth century, and the first woman elected as a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.
With partners Eleanor Manning and Mary Almy, the firm of Howe, Manning & Almy, Inc. completed more than 500 projects over 43 years of practice. Many of these buildings are still standing today, including in Cambridge.
CHS is proud to claim LLH as one of "ours." She was a lifelong Cantabrigian with deep ties to her community, and an active member of the Cambridge Historical Society well into her eighties.