5353 Sunol Boulevard, Pleasanton, CA 94566 Main: 925-931-5379 Fax: 925-931-3499
From the The Finding Wellness Team:
Amy, Nancy, and Cheryl
Senior Support Program of the Tri-Valley
Check out our
CURRENT and UPCOMING
Finding Wellness Classes
Free classes that meet weekly and are open to the public
To attend a Finding Wellness class series or to learn more,
give us a call at
925-931-5393 or visit our calendar online at
FINDING WELLNESS SERIES 1:
Congregation Beth Emek
3400 Nevada Court Pleasanton
THURSDAYS 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Remaining Classes: Aug 9, 23, 30, Sept 6
Dublin Senior Center
7600 Amador Valley Blvd, Dublin
THURSDAYS from 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Sept 13, 27 Oct 4, 11, 25, Nov 1, 8
FINDING WELLNESS SERIES 2:
Hayward Area Senior Center
22325 North 3rd St, Castro Valley
MONDAYS from 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Remaining classes: August 6, 13
800 E. Stanley Blvd, Livermore
WEDNESDAYS from 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Remaining classes: August 8, 15
Ashland Community Center
1530 167th Ave, San Leandro
TUESDAYS from 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Sept 4, 11, 18, 25, Oct. 2
TAUGHT IN MANDARIN:
Dublin Senior Center
7600 Amador Valley Blvd., Dublin
WEDNESDAYS from 10:00 am - 11:15 am
August 22, 29, Sept. 5, 12
(4 week series only)
*FW1 is a 90 minute class that meets weekly for 7 weeks. Topics include nutrition, fall prevention, medication safety, hydration, stress management, pain management and emotional wellness. Each class also includes 20 minutes of gentle exercises.
FW2 is a 60 minute class that meets weekly for 5 weeks. This series explores your health and well-being as it relates to your brain, heart, liver, gut and skin. In this fun and interactive class, you will learn tips and tricks on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle from a nutritional, physical and emotional perspective.
- Do you see multiple doctors?
- Do you take over the counter and/or prescription medications?
- Do you take blood thinners or diabetes medications?
- Have you had a recent visit to the hospital?
- Have you fallen or experienced dizziness recently?
If you answered "YES" to any of the above questions, please consider joining Senior Support's free Medication Safety review program, which is available to specific residents of Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore and Sunol.
This evidence-based, "healthy aging program" is a collaborative approach to identifying, screening, assessing and resolving medication problems and quality-of-life problems that may be caused by the medications you are taking. Older adults who participate in the program overwhelmingly report their compliance level for properly taking medications does increase.
Here's just one "success story:"
"Ms. J's family member contacted Senior Support hoping to get a better handle on the medication being taken by her parent after an extended stay in the hospital and skilled nursing facility. The Drug Interaction Report produced served as a catalyst for one of the client's prescribers to modify the dosing of a drug regimen that was contributing to the client's confusion. The modification has proved helpful to the client and the family caregivers."
TO LEARN MORE OR TO REGISTER FOR MEDICATION SAFETY,
Marjory Tilley @ 925-931-5383
Approved by National Council on Aging (NCOA) and Area Agency on Aging (AAA)
We're on Facebook!
Follow our page for updates, newsletters, articles, special events and more! This is a positive space where seniors, their families and community members can connect.
Like, comment and share photos! Invite others to Follow us too!
Drink Healthier Beverages
Only 57% of adults drink more than 4 cups of water a day. People who drink more water tend to eat more fruits and veggies, exercise more, and eat less fast food. Aim for water to make up 75% of your fluid consumption. Try this recipe to help increase your total water tally!
Orange + Blueberry + Basil Flavored Water
Kissed with a tangy hint of citrus and sweet blueberries bursting with flavor, one sip will have you feeling clean and hydrated. Serve this invigorating beverage with aromatic basil freshly picked from the garden. Just wait for the oohs and aahs to begin.
- 3 orange slices
- 15 blueberries
- 3 basil leaves
Place ingredients in a 32-ounce mason jar, and fill with 22 ounces filtered or sparkling water. Stir gently, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour (longer for more intense flavor). Store in refrigerator up to 3 days. Drink up!
Tips for Better Infused Sips
- Sit on it. The longer it soaks, the more flavor is released. Leave the water in the refrigerator overnight.
- Make a better cut. For a less bitter taste, remove the rinds of citrus fruits.
- To meddle or muddle? Many recipes call for muddling, the process of mashing ingredients to maximize flavor by drawing out the essential oils in herbs, rinds, and fruits. Skip this step if you prefer subtle tastes.
- Test the water.
- Use sparkling or unsweetened coconut water as the base instead of plain old H20.
Article submitted by Nancy Bennett, Senior Support's Registered Dietitian
HAPPINESS HAPPENS MONTH!!
What makes you happy? Happiness Happens Month is a whole month dedicated to celebrating what makes you happy. The holiday is based on the premise that happiness is unlimited and contagious and that sharing one's happiness can bring a lot of joy in other people's lives. Even though Happiness Happens Month sounds silly, it does have a very important purpose. The month reminds us that happiness happens one small moment at a time and it's our job to recognize those moments when they happen. It reminds us that sometimes a small action boosts our happiness. It reminds us that happiness is a personal experience and it's also contagious!
How to Celebrate Happiness Happens Month
Happiness Happens Day encourages people to take stock of their lives and try to do and think about things that make them happy and to share this joy with others. Here are some ways to celebrate this happy day:
- Do something nice for yourself - after all, happiness starts at home.
- Make someone else happy by doing something nice for them. It can be something as simple as giving up your seat on the bus to someone else or a more elaborate gesture like volunteering your time and money to a charity of your choice. Studies have found that volunteering doesn't only help people bring joy in their lives but can also help them live longer.
- Don a pair of silver shades (because happy people always see the silver lining!)
- Laugh! (laughter is still the best medicine)
- Smile! (and the world smiles with you).
Thank you for being a participant in our Finding Wellness Program!
The Finding Wellness Team