Six months ago, we were ravaged and dispersed by Hurricane Florence. We are still recovering, and work continues on the outside of our building before we begin to complete the repairs on the inside. As slowly as this is taking shape, is as quickly our year moves forward. Purim next week, Pesach in 4 weeks with our Seder scheduled for April 19th. Please call Kate in our office to make reservations. The cost will be $36, and seating is limited to 100.
This Shabbat, Saturday morning is our Men's Club Shabbat. Please come and support our Men's Club who will sponsor a fabulous Kiddish Luncheon as well as a very meaningful Shabbat service. As always, services begin at 9:30 am.
And for the record, we can never be grateful and thankful enough for all the hard work that our volunteer officers, board members and committee chairs do for Bnai Israel. Yasher Koach and Todah Rabah to:
* VP Harold Eichenholz who takes such good care of our building and has overseen the recovery of hundreds of thousands of dollars from insurance due to storm damage.
* VP Michelle Bannon, her Sunshine committee and input are invaluable.
* Treasurer Jerry Smith, keeping his eye on the money and overseeing our very valuable Circle of Honor program.
* Secretary Joanna Puritz, keeping our notes and records straight.
* Diana Gerberg and Barbara Waxman and all of Sisterhood for contributing constantly for our programs and functions.
* Debbie Arouesty, Laurie Katz, and Debbie Smith for our new and vastly improved gift shop.
* Efraim Jaronowski, for Men's Club events.
* Tom Clemmons and the Kava Notes for beautiful music.
* Steve Stein for chairing our Cemetery and ritual committee
* Carol Atwood for pursing our website and Shul Cloud information as well as codifying our rules and regulations.
* Anita Liebiskind who continues to make sure we always have Onegs and tirelessly sends Yahrzeit reminders.
* Rena Goldwasser who is our own Purim Queen for coordinating our Chumantashen baking.
* Carolyn Moskowitz for Pre negs, Shaloch Manot and everything decorative.
* Our Gabbi's on Shabbat morning, Alan Gerberg and Gayle Ginsberg
* Our Shamash Yves Sion who greets you on Shabbat morning.
* Roberta Eichenholz for Hadassah
* Alan Katz for chairing UJA.
* Walter Winter, Scott Johnston, Noa Alper, Diane Gerberg, Stan Prushik and Carolyn Moskowitz for service on our Board of Directors
* Rabbi Emeritus Waxman for input and advice
and so many more that are serving on committees:
* Our design committee: Pam Sender, Lyne Glaser, Diane Gerberg, Dottie Freedland, Carolyn Moskowitz and Bruce Maurer
* Our Security Committee: Slick Katz and Laurel Westreich
* Our Library and Kitchen committees
* Our Staff: Kate, Tina and Yvonne
And of course most importantly
Rabbi Julie Kozlow for all our spiritual, intellectual and religious direction and for setting a high bar for all our volunteers and staff to achieve great things for Bnai Israel.
We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful and involved membership and are very grateful for everything you do.
Shabbat Shalom, and see you in Shul.
Men's Shabbat Zachor
Saturday, March 16,
following the 9:30 am service
Please attend a very meaningful and participatory service followed by a fabulous kiddish luncheon sponsored by our Bnai Israel Men's Club.
Circle of Honor
Beneficiary: Carol & Scott Johnston
Patron: Ronna & Herbert Zimmer
Sharon & Terry Dresbach
Debbie & Jerry Smith
Rose & Alan Zimmer
Michelle Bannon & Rich Weisman
Roberta & Harold Eichenholz
Sharon & Stephen Mechum
Dee & Murray Sherman
Lee & Walter Winter
Dottie & Irv Freedland
**Please save this date:
April 14, 2019 @ 2:00 pm
Rabbi Julie will speak on the topic: "Do not stand idly by the suffering of your neighbor." Rabbi will discuss her experience in Washington D.C. when she and a group of Jewish activists from across the United States lobbied Congress regarding the end of detention of children seeking asylum in our country. Rabbi Koslow will update us on this important topic and inform us what changes have happened recently.
This program is for all congregants of B'nai Israel and their families and friends. Many people you know may be interested in this important topic. We hope they will join us.
Refreshments will be served, and the Gift Shop will be open that day for you to purchase Passover items or just to browse.
Sisterhood's next **Book Club meeting will be on Wednesday, March 27th, from 1-3 PM. Arlene Burns has kindly offered to host the meeting at her home, 5083 Edinboro Lane. Please let her know if you plan to attend: 910 392-3032.
Our book is Karen Bender's short story collection
The New Order. Be sure to read the chilling first story for our discussion. A copy of the book is in the shul's library.
All Sisterhood members are welcome to be a part of our every-other-month book club. For more information and to be add
A big thank you to the March Hospice dinner volunteers: Dee Sherman, Rena Goldwasser, Barry & Pam Weiss, Janice Kingoff, Arlene Burns, and Michelle Bannon. The next hospice dinner will be in May, details to follow.
Bags, bags, bags!
Come and plarn!
Thanks to everyone who has been bringing plastic grocery bags for the sleeping mat project. We are close to what we need and that's because of the wonderful community support. Keep them coming as any extras will go to other organizations who are making the mats.
The next step is to sort and cut the bags to make "plarn" balls so we can begin crocheting. There will be an open meeting to begin this on April 3rd at the synagogue, 10 am to 2 pm. Any interested folks can attend on an "as can" drop in basis--come and stay as long as you can. Materials, instructions (and snacks!) provided.
Any questions...please call or text Rena at
Please check Rabbi's Calendar before scheduling any event involving the congregation.
We aren't able to advertise any events in the Weekly Newsletter
or on the ShulCloud calendar unless Rabbi's Calendar has been consulted.
Arlene Burn's home
United Jewish Appeal
March 27, Landfall Country Club
10:00 - 2:00
**Do Not Stand
of Your Neighbor
Sunday, April 14,
Rabbi Julie Kozlow
Jewish Film Festival
April 28 & 29
May 1, 5, 6 & 8
April 25 thru May 8
in conjunction with the
Jewish Film Festival
**Please make a reservation by calling or emailing the Shul office.
910.762.1117 ~ email@example.com
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Sharon & Jerry Spivak
Amie Sloane Suchecki
Arlene & David Burns
Elizabeth & Harrison Freedland
Birthdays and Anniversaries come from your ShulCloud Member Profile.
If your special day is NOT included here, please check your profile and add the dates. If you are not sure how to do that, contact Kate Maclay in the office for help at firstname.lastname@example.org
5779 2-8 Adar II March 9-15, 2019
Mother of Rita Katz
Sister of Frances Strauss
Uncle of Marvin and Robin Neuwirth
Mother of Owen Kaplan
Father of Judith Malman
Wife of Jack Markowitz
Father of Brenda Mitwol
The Yahrzeits represent those whom we have remembered over the past week, Saturday evening through Friday Shabbat.
If you would like to make a donation to B'nai Israel, please click below
and use the Pay On Line tab on our website.
Barbara Waxman Sisterhood
In honor of Elaine Lathrop and her return to Wilmington
Lee & Walter Winter General Fund
In memory of Rebecca Rogof Winter, mother of Walter