by Madeleine L'Engle,
The Weather of the Heart
submitted by Shannon Unzicker
I, who live by words, am wordless when
I try my words in prayer. All language turns
To silence. Prayer will take my words and then
Reveal their emptiness. The stilled voice learns
To hold its peace, to listen with the heart
To silence that is joy, is adoration.
The self is shattered, all words torn apart
In this strange patterned time of contemplation
That, in time, breaks time, breaks words, breaks me,
And then, in silence, leaves me healed and mended.
I leave, returned to language, for I see
Through words, even when all words are ended.
I, who live by words, am wordless when
I turn me to the Word to pray. Amen.
, of central Illinois, has served on the board of Mennonite Women USA since 2012. She is an active member of the Mennonite Church of Normal and works part-time as a middle school librarian. She says she chose this prayer because she is "such a 'word' person."
Cyneatha Millsap's Schedule this Spring
Click links for details.
Elkhart, Indiana (February 25)
: Along with Janna Hunter-Bowman, Cyneatha will lead a Leadership Clinic on
Documenting Suffering and Hope
AMBS Pastors and Leaders Week
Wichita, Kansas (March 1)
: Cyneatha and Karen Lehman will lead a workshop,
Women in Leadership: Exploring the Barriers to Achieving Professional Goals
, at the Mennonite Health Services'
North Newton, Kansas (March 6): Cyneatha will speak at Bethel College chapel.
After nearly four years of planning, Carolyn Heggen and Rhoda Keener led a Sister Care seminar January 28-30, 2019, in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. The 89 women attending came from Sumatra, Java, Bali, and Papua and represented several Anabaptist groups.
The seminar was made possible because of the local women who hosted, invited participants, and cared for myriad details. The planning group added many meaningful touches to this leadership training event in Indonesia.
Sister Care Indonesia planning group: (front, left to right) Anielle Santoso, Reinu Titik, Yeanny M.S; (Back,left to right) Setyowah, Rotua Singaga, Wara Widuri, Utari
For more information on Sister Care International, go to mwusa.org/ministries/sistercare
Mennonite Women USA invites you to share financially to support this ministry. Individuals may
give in honor of or memory of
significant people in their lives. We recognize each gift that honors or remembers a relationship.
Gifts since July 15, 2018:
- Marlene Bogard in memory of Sally Fleming
- Margaret N Bruckhart in honor of Jean Oswald
- Eileen Shenk in memory of Gerry Rush
- Don Hertzler in memory of Evie Hertzler
- Linda Shelly in memory of Viola Shelly
- Beth Kraybill in honor of Ellene Miller
- Susanne King in memory of Pluma Hostetter
- Florence Schloneger in memory of Pearl Rodgers
- Nancy Lee in memory of Catherine Mumaw
- Agnes Hacker in memory of Anna Neustadter Rosenfeld
- Norma Wyse and Mark Ramseyer in memory of Alice Ruth Ramseyer
- Jan Rheinheimer in honor of Anne Fortin
- Carolyn Heggen in honor of Sara Wenger Shenk
- Linda Kandel in memory of Eunice Kandel
- Mary Alice Ressler in honor of Alice M Yutz
- Stephanie Thompson in memory of Dorothy Ortman
- Berdella Stutzman in memory of Doris Stutzman
- Cheryl Miller Ramer in memory of Esther Eye
- Jo Miller in honor of Lucy Frey
- Anna Sawatzky in honor of Cyneatha Millsaps
- Katie Cunningham in honor of Mae Barber and Ellen Day
- Pam Abrahams in honor of Denise Nickel
- Carol Detweiler in memory of Verna Bachman
- Sara M Regier in memory of Lois Deckert
- Carolyn Locy in honor of Arlene Schaefer
- Mary Grace Leatherman in honor of Cyneatha Millsaps
- Louise Gingerich in honor of Naomi Lederach and in memory of Laura Burkholder
- Joyce Bomberger in memory of Lois Elizabeth Herr
- Jean Keener in memory of Doris Shenk and Blanche Sell
New MW USA board Members!
Jeni Hiett Umble (right) is our board's chair-elect. Pastor of Living Light of Peace in Arvada, Colorado, s
he and her husband live in nearby Broomfield. She enjoys re-purposing fabric and yarn into items for the area MCC Relief Sale. And, she loves the outdoors-especially sailing, snorkeling, hiking, and snowshoeing.
Yvonne Diaz ((left) is the representative for Central States.
Along with her
husband, dog, and cat, she lives in Terlingua, Texas, off-grid with solar power, water catchment, and a greenhouse. Yvonne has been a part of various task forces, committees, and boards associated with Mennonite Church USA.
Quinn Kathrineberg, Memphis, Tennessee, is the young adult representative to the board. She is pursuing a master's degree in urban education after spending 2018 in Quito, Ecuador.
During her time on the board, Quinn seeks to uplift women and help them know their identity in God while gaining strength and wisdom from them.
Timbrel Takes a Break
to redefine how we create and publish it.
will be back in six months-so make sure you stay in touch!
If you are in the middle of your subscription cycle and would like to be refunded for the remainder of your subscription, please contact our
. Otherwise, the remainder of your subscription fee will be donated to Mennonite Women USA. Thank you for your continued support of MW USA!
IWF Recipient Ofelia García Hernández Graduates
Ofelia received scholarship money to study at SEMILLA in Guatemala.
"With great joy I share that I have finally graduated in theology and pastoral studies
. . . Please express my gratitude to each one of the women who supported me.
"For most of my time as a student, I lived in Chihuahua, Mexico, and did my studies remotely while tending to the development of a church and providing leadership for women doing theology in Latin America. Other women and I planned approximately 25 Sister Care workshops, with several facilitators. Being present and constant for the experiential classes (courses in which you had to be present) was a challenge!
"My husband and I will be back in Mexico City soon. We are waiting for the Lord to open new doors for mission.
Every Day Worship available to order!
This women's Bible study guide commissioned by Mennonite Women USA and Mennonite Women Canada is excellent for personal use, women's groups, and retreat settings. It encourages women to worship every day.
Buy your copy of
Every Day Worship
by Carol Penner
Mennonite Women USA celebrates being a woman and our sisterhood. Watch this video on Sistering.
Mennonite Women USA |
See what's happening on our social sites: