12/1 Poinsettia Sale Pick Up Day
12/3 Barnes & Noble Book Sale
12/6 8th Grade/Prospective Students Open House 6:00-8:00pm
12/19-1/2 NO SCHOOL -- Winter Break
1/1 Happy New Year!
1/3 School Back in Session
1/16 NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
1/26 Quarter 2 Ends
1/27 & 1/30 NO SCHOOL - Teacher Record Keeping Days
1/31 Quarter 3 Begins
FAMILY ENGAGEMENT SURVEY
As a Title 1 school we value and need family input. Please take this short survey to help us better partner with families. Thank you!
Counseling Office / Career & College
Wallin Education Partners Scholarship
More than a Scholarship, Wallin Scholars Receive:
1. Committed financial aid- up to $4,000/year for four years
2. Professional advisors to help students navigate the college process
3. College to career programming- mentors, internships and more to help students with next steps
4. Donor partner connections to get to know the people who are investing in your education
- Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
Minimum 3.0 GPA (unweighted)
- Minimum 19 ACT (composite)
- Intend to attend a four-year college in MN, IA, SD, ND or WI or any HBCU
- Have a family taxable income of $75,000 or less and low to moderate assets and have financial need with regard to financial aid (ex. cannot be fully funded)
- What to know about the Application:
- Due February 15, 2017
- Essay response is most important! ONE is required (special circumstance section is optional)
- You must answer ONE Common Application prompt (you don't have to do the Common App, just answer one of the prompts)
- Two recommendations (one MUST be from a teacher)
- Recommenders can simply upload their letter online using the link emailed directly to them
- FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) must be uploaded into the scholarship application to verify financial eligibility
- If a student cannot submit a SAR, they need to complete a supplemental financial information form
- Start an application here: https://wallinpartners.academicworks.com/users/sign_up
Need help completing your FAFSA or MN Dream Act?
Don't miss our Washburn's FAFSA/MN Dream Act Workshop Night on Tuesday, December 13 from 5-7pm in the Career & College Center (CCC room #107). Come get help to complete your FAFSA or Minnesota Dream Act applications! You must bring all applicable financial aid documents with you to this event. Spanish and Somali interpreters will be available. If you have questions, please contact the CCC at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get this information:
- Student and Parent (s) SSN/s (if applicable)
- 1-94/s (if applicable)
- Date/s of birth
- Total amount of $ in checking, savings and cash
- Student driver's license # (if applicable)
- Date parent/s got married, separated or divorced
Bring these documents:
- Student's 2015 federal income tax return and W-2 forms (if applicable)
- Parent/s 2015 federal income tax return and W-2 forms (if applicable)
TRIO Educational Talent Search (ETS) is a college access program funded by the Department of Education. It was established in 1965 as part of the Higher Education Act. Currently, there are seven programs under the TRIO umbrella. ETS at Washburn is hosted by St. Olaf College in Northfield.
Services include small group workshops based on Financial Aid/Scholarship information, college planning information, application assistance, career research, etc. We provide college visit opportunities and tutoring in the schools. ETS also has a mentoring program in which we collaborate with two 9th grade English teachers. Students in three of these English classes are paired up with a St. Olaf College student. They exchange letters with their mentors on a weekly basis and attend three field trips throughout the school year. All services are FREE to students.
If you would like to learn more about our specific program, please visit us at
. Our staff can also be reached via email or phone.
507-786-3781 or 1-800-621-7601
12/2-12/3 Student-produced theatre
12/3 Student performances at Barnes & Noble book fair
12/7-12/9 Spotlight musical auditions, 3:30-5:30 p.m. (auditorium/choir room)
12/9 Crew 612 at Holidazzle Village
Washburn Arts Council
meeting, 9:00 a.m.
12/12-12/13 Cocoa & Clay art exhibit, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
12/12 Winter concert: orchestras, guitar ensembles, Treble Choir, Miller Voices, 7:30 p.m.
12/13 Winter concert: wind ensemble, concert band, jazz band, Concert Choir, Crew 612, 7:30 p.m.
One-act plays - Dec. 2 & 3
Don't miss the final 2 performances of student written and directed one-act plays on Friday and Saturday nights! The performances begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Washburn Auditorium and include 3 plays with a short break between each show - "
Broadcasting: Now", "Faith", "All of the Garden". Tickets are $5/student, $10/adult. Come support these talented artists!
Crew 612 & Guitar Ensembles Performing Dec. 3 at Holidazzle
Enjoy the music of talented Washburn students as you shop for books during the book fundraiser event to benefit the Washburn Media Center at Barnes & Noble (Galleria store in Edina). Performances are 7:00-9:00 p.m., but you can purchase books anytime! Be sure to mention "Washburn" at checkout.
Fall Gala Success
Thanks to everyone who supported the Washburn Fall Arts Gala on Nov. 19! Your generous support helped us raise an estimated $30,000. These funds will support your students with new flooring for the dance studio, guest artists in Black Box Theater, instruments for band and orchestra, a ceramic mural and more. It was a great event with 260 attendees celebrating Washburn arts! To see photos, visit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfhjazz/albums/72157676763946066 (contact email@example.com to order prints).
Miss the Gala? You can still help us add $8,000 in funds by purchasing a seat for yourself or your student at one of our upcoming Great Gatherings. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your spot for one of these great events(or purchase your tickets at upcoming school events):
- December 11: Create boot cuffs (Teen Friendly and great for gifts)
- December 19: Dakota Jazz Club event Andrew Walesch Quartet & Debbie Duncan
- December 30: Alumni Cabaret
- January 6: Self Defense for Women (Teen friendly)
- January 8: Dance fever lessons with Rush Benson (Teen friendly)
- January 12: Cartooning-Create a Superhero! (Teen friendly)
- January 13: Paint Your Plate (Teen Friendly and great for gifts)
- April 20: Fulton Tap Room
Crew 612 at Holidazzle Village- Dec. 9
Come see Crew 612 perform at the Loring Park stage from 8:00-8:30 p.m.
Winter art exhibit through Dec. 28
Stop by the Washburn Public Library, 5244 Lyndale Ave. S., now through Dec. 28 to enjoy the Washburn student art exhibit.
Washburn Arts Council - Dec. 10 meeting
If you have a Washburn student in band, choir, dance, orchestra, theater or visual arts classes/activities
- or no student involvement but are passionate about the arts - join the Washburn Arts Council (WAC), a group of parents and teachers supporting the Washburn arts community. We meet the second Saturday of each month at Common Roots Cafe, 2558 Lyndale Ave. South (meeting room in the back) at 9:00 a.m. - we would love to see you at our Dec. 10th meeting! Connect with us at email@example.com and www.facebook.com/WashburnArts.
COCOA & CLAY SALE
BLACK BOX SHOWCASES
*We welcome donations to make this event a success!
Please drop at the main office by Friday December 9th.
-Cocoa - individual packets work best
-Mini candy canes
-Candy toppings for the cocoa (be creative)
WHS Athletic Director Honored
Washburn's athletics director, Reggie Perkins, has been voted Region 6AA
Athletic Director of the Year. Congratulations Reggie. We are very proud to call you a Miller!
Athletics Schedule Online
Hockey Season Has Started
would love to see more fans at their games. Fan turn out can be tough because "home" games are off-site at Parade Ice Garden. Come out to see a game soon!
Donations Needed -- Plastic Hangers!
We are in need of
200 plastic hangers for our sports equipment room. They can be dropped off in the athletic office. Thanks!
Can you help us get gift cards for our Social Work program?
Washburn currently has over 30 students who are identified as Homeless/Highly Mobile. Can you imagine trying to be a teenager and worrying about basic needs such as shelter, food, or clothing? Thanks for your support of our own Millers who could use some extra support!
This year we are collecting gift cards from Target, Cub, and Walmart. We have
raised over $500 in cards so far. Thank you to those who have donated!!!! We
particularly need CUB FOOD CARDS right now. Cards can be mailed to the school (attn: Erica Lebens-Englund) or they can be brought to the main office.
Facts to Consider about Homelessness in Minnesota
- In a one night study conducted in 2015, there were 9,312 homeless adults, youth, and children counted;
- Young people are most at risk of experiencing homelessness;
- Youth age 24 and younger are the most likely to be homeless in Minnesota. This includes children with their parents (35%) and youth (minors and young adults) on their own (16%). Nearly half (47%) of these children are age 5 or under.
Washburn Bookfair Dec 3rd!
Just a reminder that this Saturday,
12/3/16 is the Barnes & Noble Bookfair benefiting our Media Center! A percentage of all sales from
9:00am-10:00pm will benefit Washburn.
Here are several ways to participate:
- Shop at The Galleria in Edina on 12/3: make sure to mention Washburn at checkout (or give them our bookfair ID number 11983301)
o The Galleria location is brand new and re-opens this weekend -- be the first to see the new restaurant; purchases at the restaurant count except for wine & beer (moved & remodeled to the lower level; access is through the mall only now)
- Shop at any Barnes & Noble on 12/3: give our bookfair number at checkout 11983301
- Shop online: Visit www.BN.COM/bookfairs to support us online from 12/4-12/8; use code 11983301 (lower percentage of sales as compared to Saturday but every little bit still helps!)
book loving MILLERS!
We just had our second of five meets yesterday afternoon at South. We fell behind early to South and Southwest, but had a strong finish in the last individual event and a fantastic team event to climb back into second at the very end with 77 points, behind Southwest in first with 88 points and just ahead of South in third with 71 points. The Minneapolis Division season standings after two meets have Southwest in first, Washburn in second, and South in third, Patrick Henry and Roosevelt tied for fourth, Hope Academy in sixth, Edison in seventh, and Richfield in eighth.
OPEN HOUSE - 8TH GRADE FAMILIES
Know an 8th grade family who is interested in Washburn for the 2017-2018 school year? Invite them to attend the Open House next Tuesday, 12/6 @ 6:00-8:00pm. They should plan on attending the full two hours as we use a bell schedule to help them visit different classes. All are welcome!
STUDENT COUNCIL T-SHIRTS FOR SALE
All Are Loved & Respected at Washburn!
Our student council felt strongly that all students at Washburn should know they are loved and respected here. T-shirts for sale for only $5. Available in Mrs. Jensen's room, 210.
WE ARE WASHBURN
A big thank you from MPS to the voters for passing the referendum!
By renewing the referendum authorization for nine years, voters have made a long-term investment in our students and in their community.
Jonathan Rist, ESL Teacher
It's fun to celebrate a newer staff member, Jonathan Rist. He jumped right in, works his tail off, and is always trying to be better. He has volunteered to give his time in many ways at Washburn, such as coming to various evening events, leading PD, tutoring students, and much more. He also coaches at another high school during the fall, and never seems to be running on empty. Finally, he brings a fun and quirky sense of humor to the school that keeps us all on our toes. Congratulations Jonathan!
Marci Sanchez, Media Center AE
Marci is a very valuable addition to the Washburn staff. She is a hard worker and approaches every day with a smile.
Marci brings a welcoming spirit to the school. She has a great knowledge of young adult literature and she makes inviting book displays. She also excels in connecting with students. We are so fortunate to have her part of the media center team. Way to go Marci!
Washburn High School | Main Office 612-668-3400 | Family Liaison 612-668-3440