1/25 IB Parent Mtg (class of 2018) & Parent Council Mtg
1/26 Site Council Meeting
1/26 Quarter 2 Ends
[Block finals schedule on 1/25 & 1/26]
1/27 & 1/30 NO SCHOOL - Teacher Record Keeping Days
1/28 Egyptian Dinner
1/31 Quarter 3 Begins
2/2 Soul Fest (Dinner in Cafeteria & Performances in Auditorium)
2/13 African American Family Involvement Day @ Roller Garden 6:00-8:00pm
2/14 Senior Pictures Due for Yearbook
2/17 & 2/20 NO SCHOOL - Parent/Teacher Conference Day & President's Day Break
2/17 Winter Dance (7:00-10:00pm @ Varsity Theater)
2/25 Last day to order Yearbooks
2/28 Junior ACT Testing Day
3/31 NO SCHOOL - Teacher Record Keeping Day
4/3-4/7 NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
FLEXIBLE START TIMES IN 2017-2018
Changes to Schedule Next Year
Many parents who attended last week's Course Information Night learned that beginning in the 2017-2018 academic year, Washburn will require students to register for 6 classes with an OPTIONAL choice of taking a 7th class. In addition to changing to a Flex Period Extended Day model, Washburn will be providing the opportunity for students to flex their start time. They will choose a start time of 7:30 am, 8:30 am, or 9:30 am depending on their needs/interests. Visit our website for more information: http://washburn.mpls.k12.mn.us/curriculum_guide
Parent Meetings Regarding Changes
Some great questions have been asked and we're looking forward to providing more information on this change. Please feel free to attend one of the upcoming parent meetings scheduled next week to learn more about the schedule changes in 2017-2018:
Junior IB Diploma Candidate Families: Wed 1/25 @ 5:30-6:30pm in Room 106B [open only to class of 2018 diploma candidates]
Parent Council Meeting: Wed 1/25 @ 6:30-7:30pm in Room 106A
[open to all families]
Block Scheduling for Finals
Wednesday, January 25th
Advisory 8:15 - 9:50
Period 2 9:55 - 11:25
Period 4 11:30 - 1:35
1st lunch 11:30 - 12:00
2nd lunch 12:05 - 12:30
3rd lunch 12:35 - 1:00
Period 6 1:40 - 3:15
Thursday, January 26th
Period 1 8:15 - 9:50
Period 3 9:55 - 11:25
Period 5 11:30 - 1:35
1st lunch 11:30 - 12:00
2nd lunch 12:05 - 12:30
3rd lunch 12:35 - 1:00
Period 7 1:40 - 3:15
ACT For Juniors -- 2/28/17
in 11th grade will take the ACT test on February 28, 2017 during the school day. This exam is offered to all WHS juniors free of charge. More logistics and information will be made available as they are known.
Starting January 30, ELL students will take the ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 test at Washburn. The test provides information about students' English language abilities in school. Educators use this information to make decisions about students' education. ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 measures what students know and can do in English in the domains of Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing. Student do not need to study for the test, but rather, focus on demonstrating their language abilities. Look for further information as the date gets closer.
COUNSELING / CAREER & COLLEGE CENTER
Seniors -- Class of 2017
As many of you know, we had our Graduation Informational Meeting this past Wednesday. We covered everything from senior pictures to obligations to cap & gowns! Below is all the information you need to know. If you have any questions, please contact Maggie Carlson at (612) 668-3502 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Page 4: End of the Year Timeline - This calendar shows all the important dates for the rest of senior year. Please note that some dates are subject to change.
- Page 5: Behavior - All questions concerning behavior may be directed to Michelle Terpening at email@example.com Please note that there is no altering and/or decorating of the caps and gowns. You will be required to change into a non altered cap/gown or not be allowed to participate in the ceremony if this occurs. Please note that we only bring a few replacements in case of emergencies.
- Page 6: Obligations - A $35.00 Graduation Fee is due for all seniors. This may be turned in to the Counseling Office starting now! Checks are preferred and accepted until May 11th, after that it is cash only. All obligations are due by June 7th at 12:00 pm. A letter will be mailed out at the end of April with all other obligations that are due for your student.
- Page 7: Diploma & Graduation Requirements - If you have any questions concerning your credits and if you are on track to graduate, please e-mail your counselor to receive specific information.
- Page 11 & 12: Senior Party Form - If you plan on attending the senior party, you must fill out both sides of this form and turn it in to the main office. $30 is due before May 1st; after May 1st the cost is $40. Any questions may be directed to Helene Gauthier at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jostens - We are lucky to have Jostens providing our Cap & Gowns and our diploma covers once again. Seniors who attended the meeting had the opportunity to record their height & weight for their cap and gown fitting. If you were not at this meeting, please go to the following link and record your height and weight ASAP: http://www.gradsmn.org/cap-gown-form For Graduation announcements, class rings and apparel: please visit www.jostens.com and type in Washburn High School, Minneapolis, MN for more information.
- LifeTouch - We are pleased to announce that LifeTouch will be taking photos during the ceremony once again for Washburn High School. Attached is a form that every senior should fill out and turn into the Counseling Office ASAP so LifeTouch may determine who is who. All information for photos from the ceremony will be sent out this summer. Pictures will be available for purchase.
- Speaking at Graduation - If you would like to be the next student speaker at Graduation, you may submit your speech to Ms. Jensen between the dates of April 10th and May 1st. More information will be provided closer to the date. If you have any questions, please e-mail Lisa Jensen at email@example.com
As mentioned above, if you have any questions, please contact Maggie Carlson.
STEP-UP Jobs Program
Last summer, 103 Washburn students worked in meaningful, paid, professional summer jobs through STEP-UP. The STEP-UP application season is upon us once again! The online application to the 2017 program is available now (
) and the application deadline is Friday, February 10, 2017 at midnight. STEP-UP places Minneapolis students ages 14-21 in professional jobs students cannot get on their own. Washburn students have worked at, just to name a few: Fairview Medical Center Boston Scientific Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Mayor R.T. Rybak's Office University of Minnesota Xcel Energy Best Buy Corp. Target Corp. Interested students should come to the Career and College Center for help applying and determining eligibility.
The online application to the 2017 program is available now (www.stepupmpls.org) and the application deadline is Friday, February 10, 2017 at midnight. Interested students should contact the CCC!
Interested in Healthcare or Engineering?
Are you interested in a career in healthcare or engineering? Washburn is taking a trip to
Medtronic, a medical device company, to learn about product development and how technology is used to save lives! A competition with other Minneapolis high schools will take place. If interested, see Ms. Eman in the Career and College Center. The field trip is on
February 6th and there are only a few spots left!
1/21 & 28: Saturday set-building sessions for Into the Woods, 8:30-2:30, WHS auditorium
1/21: WAC meeting, 9:15 a.m., Common Roots Café
1/23: Dance Showcase, 7:30 p.m., WHS auditorium
1/24: "Into the Woods" cast/crew/pit parent meeting, 7:00 p.m., WHS choir room
2/2: Soulfest, 5:00-8:00 p.m., WHS cafeteria/auditorium
Into the Woods- set building, volunteers and parent meeting
Set building has begun and rehearsals are underway for this year's Spotlight Musical! Details:
- Build: Join our set-building team on Saturdays from 8:30-2:00 in the WHS auditorium. The fun continues this weekend! Sign up using the volunteer link below.
- Volunteer: We need your help in various ways leading up to and during the show. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0f4ca8a82fa6fe3-into
- Parent meeting: The mandatory parent meeting for families with students participating in the cast, crew or pit orchestra was rescheduled (due to weather-related cancellation) for Jan. 24 at 7:00 p.m. in the WHS choir room. Parents, be sure to ask your students about the rehearsal schedule and required forms. Contact Julie Hillmyer with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Washburn Arts Council - Jan. 21 meeting
If you have a Washburn student in band, choir, dance, orchestra, theater or visual arts classes/activities
- or no student involvement but are passionate about the arts - join the Washburn Arts Council (WAC), a group of parents and teachers supporting the Washburn arts community.
Join us for our meeting Jan. 21 at 9:15 at Common Roots Cafe, 2558 Lyndale Ave. South (meeting room in the back)! Connect with us at
Many of the Great Gatherings sold out during the Washburn Fall Arts Gala, but we still have some seats remaining at upcoming events. Don't miss you your chance to participate in these activities and support the arts at Washburn! For more information email
to claim your spot (or purchase your tickets when attending school events):
- February 4: Karaoke party
- April 20: Fulton Tap Room
BlackBox Theater 1 Showcase - Jan. 18 & 19
Theater 1 students delivered powerful performances featuring all original youth voice. First hour Theater 1 class presented the topics of animal abuse, cyber bullying, immigration, gender equality, women's independence, and safe space in the classroom. Third and fourth hour Theater 1 class performances featured the topics of school resources, child custody, wealth, catcalling, peer pressure, education appreciation, gender equity in sports, beauty standards, judgment of women, GLBT identity and school support.
Athletics Schedule Online
Join us for the final Mpls Girls Hockey home game and chuck-a-puck!---7:00pm on January 24th at Parade Stadium. $1/puck. See you there!
Nordic Ski Team Fundraisers
The second fundraiser is at
Chipotle on Monday, January 30th
. Feast on your favorite burrito or bowl between 5 and 9. This time you do need to mention our name when calling in your order or when paying the cashier. We receive 50% of all proceeds from this one. Please join us at 1830 East 66th Street in Richfield (near Cedar Ave and the airport) to eat up! Thanks for eating good food for a great cause!!
EGYPTIAN DINNER AT WASHBURN
Order Your Tickets Today!
Parent Council is planning an event at the end of January (
Saturday Jan. 28th 6:00-8:00pm in the Washburn lunchroom). It is an Egyptian Dinner made by Abir Ismail. Abir is former Ramsey math teacher and she is also a Washburn parent. This event was hosted at Ramsey last year and was a huge hit!. Abir decided to bring it to Washburn this year. There are only 100 tickets available. They are only $15/person for delicious food. Sign up and come enjoy an authentic Egyptian dinner. The menu and ticket details are featured on the Eventbrite page:
AFRICAN AMERICAN INVOLVEMENT EVENTS
Black Voices Ending Showcase --
We invite you for an evening of poetry that celebrates a new generation of writers! Washburn's Black Voices is an English class centered on turning the mic to the students using black literature to dive and dig deep into poetry and social politic. Come join us for a night of spoken word poetry as we hear from young people writing new worlds into the future! January 24th 6:00-8:00pm (The Third Place Gallery 730 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55407).
Washburn Event: Soul Fest on 2/2/17
MPS Event: Roller Garden Family Night on 2/13/17
African-American Family Involvement Day
Monday, Feb. 13, 6-8 p.m.
Roller Garden, 5622 W. Lake St., St. Louis Park
RACE 2 JUSTICE DAY
Race 2 Justice Day Comes to Washburn
Washburn is excited to join with other MPS high schools (South & Southwest) in offering a Race 2 Justice Day on Wednesday 3/8/17. We'll be hosting a half-day conference for all students to promote and explore issues of social justice. Community members as well as student leaders will be volunteering their time to lead workshops discussing issues around identity, culture, art, and justice.
Our theme is
We'd love to have a hospitality room for our presenters to welcome them to Washburn.We are seeking donations of
drinks and snacks. If you are at all interested in helping out in any way, please contact Cristina Benz or Quinnita Abraham to see how you can get involved.
PARENT MEETINGS NEXT WEEK
Family engagement matters! There are several meetings next week for parents to consider that can help you engage with Washburn. Consider attending!
Junior IB Diploma Candidate Parent Meeting
Wed 1/25 @ 5:30-6:30pm in
WHERE: WHS Room 106B
[open only to class of 2018 diploma candidates' parents]
Parent Council Meeting -- Topic: Schedule Changes
WHEN: Wed 1/25 @ 6:30-7:30pm
WHERE: WHS Room 106A
[open to all parents]
Site Council Meeting
WHEN: Thurs 1/26 @ 4:30pm
WHERE: This month Site Council is happening off-site. Please contact Jean Massey, Co-Chair for more information on this month's meeting
- Senior Photos due on
Feb. 14th (pictures received after this date will NOT be included in the yearbook)
- Senior baby pictures & quotes due on Feb. 14th
Other Deadlines & Information
- Order yearbooks by
- Yearbooks are $55; customization costs extra
- Siblings can submit photos to be included (no hand gestures allowed)
- Clubs & Activities can also submit group photos to be included
- If students do not have a media release on file, they cannot be included in the yearbook
WRITING CENTER REMINDER
Students Can Sign Up For Help!
Just a reminder concerning the Writing Center. If a student has a writing assignment due in class, consider encouraging your students to sign-up on the Washburn website for a 1:1 appointment with the writing center for editing and revising before they turn in the assignment.
Students put in their name, email, and the period they want to meet. The coordinator will check their schedule, make sure they're free and confirm with the student via email. Students should be taking advantage of this amazing resource. This might be especially important to do before the Quarter 2 grades are final.
FOLLOW UP ON VIRAL VIDEO
As many of you know after receiving Principal Dean's phone message last week, there was a video that went viral involving a couple Washburn students "play fighting."
Please share this video with anybody who is looking for clarity on this situation:
Sherrie Waxon, School Secretary
We're all thoroughly impressed with Sherrie's ability to multitask in one of the most high traffic areas of the building. Whether it's supporting reserve teachers, managing the front desk, or simply picking up a phone call, her patience and ability to be resourceful and helpful is unrivaled. She's known as the "glue" that keeps things together around here.
Sherrie is hardworking, knowledgeable, and friendly. And to
do all this with consistency and professionalism makes her very deserving of this honor.
Cassie Jones, SEA in Autism Program
As a new employee, Cassie has jumped right in to become part of Washburn's family. She always has a smile on her face and has gone above and beyond to help our students. She tutors every week and also runs a student club in addition to helping out some of our special students in her regular position. Way to go Cassie!
Washburn High School | Main Office 612-668-3400 | Family Liaison 612-668-3440