11/2 1st Quarter Ends
11/2 PSAT Testing Date (required pre-registsration)
Winter Sports Sign Up Night
11/3 NO SCHOOL (Teacher Professional Development Day)
11/4 NO SCHOOL (Teacher Record Keeping Day)
11/8 Election Day 7:00am-8:00pm [Advisory Schedule Today]
11/10 FAFSA Night 6:00-7:00pm
11/17 Dream Act Night 6:00-7:00pm
FOR STUDENTS CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN IB CLASSES ONLY
Some things for students to keep in mind:
- Registration is for THIS YEARS EXAMS ONLY
- Exam registration closes on Friday, November 4th at midnight
- If your class and teacher is not listed - YOU ARE NOT TESTING
- If you are unsure - ASK YOUR TEACHER DIRECTLY
- Juniors may only test in up to two SL subjects
- Please read the main page in its entirety before creating an account.
- When asked for your IB student category:
- ALL JUNIORS enter "Anticipated"
- ALL SENIORS enter either "DP" (if you are a full Candidate taking TOK and doing an Extended Essay) OR "Course" for all others.
- All fees must be paid by Monday 11/7 or your registration will not be completed.
- There will be an open Lab for registration on Wednesday November 2nd in the Media Center for students needing computer access to register for IB exams. Time will be available after school 3:15-4:00pm
CAREER & COLLEGE CENTER (CCC)
Mark your calendar for these important upcoming counseling office presentations:
11/10 FAFSA Night 6:00-7:00pm (Senior Families)
11/17 Dream Act Night 6:00-8:00pm (Immigrant Families)
College Visits Next Week at the CCC
This is prime time for college visits at Washburn! Encourage your Junior or Senior to attend college visits of schools of interest. All of these are posted in Naviance. If you haven't set up a Naviance parent account, call to set one up soon with the great CCC staff!
Washburn will be hosting the MnACC College Fair on November 8th. The benefits to our students are:
- Students get access to post-secondary options to search opportunities and ask questions (even more for students who do not have the resources to make it to campus)
- Provides a variety of options for students (one-stop shopping)
- Provides merit, need-based and organizational scholarship information for studnets
- Students are given the opportunity to interact with colleges and develop interpersonal communication skills
- Vital information gets into the hands of students
The Minnesota Association of Counselors of Color (MnACC) was established in 1991 and is a noncompetitive post-secondary collaborative dedicated to improving access to higher education for Minnesota's students of color. MnACC is made up of diverse member institutions, including technical, two and four year public and private colleges and universities including individuals from MN and neighboring states.
11/1 Black Box Tributes 7:00pm
11/2 Black Box Tributes 7:00pm
11/19 Washburn Fall Arts Gala 6:30-10:30pm
11/30, 12/1-3 Student-Produced Theatre
Join us for the Roaring Twenties Fall Arts Gala!
Get your tickets now for the 5th annual Fall Arts Gala on Saturday, Nov. 19th! Purchase tickets at
- you can buy individual tickets or a table. You don't want to miss this great event! Join us to celebrate and support the performing and visual arts at Washburn.
Your help is needed! Sign up for a shift to help in advance or the night of the event at
Washburn 2016 Gala
We have some great items for our silent auction (a men's Raleigh bicycle, theater/dance performances, exercise classes, etc.), but we need more donations! Consider donating restaurant gift cards, event tickets, services, and weekend getaways at a cabin or timeshare. Or host a Great Gathering, such as a dinner, cocktail party, poker night, performance or class. Contact
Attend the Gala on Nov. 19, 6:30-10:30 p.m. at St. Mary's Greek Orthodox Church, 3450 Irving Ave. S. You'll mingle with fellow arts supporters, enjoy tasty food and beverages, be entertained by student and faculty performances, view student art, sign up for Great Gatherings, bid on silent auction items and more - all to help make a lasting difference for arts programs at Washburn!
Washburn Arts Council
If you have a Washburn student in band, choir, dance, orchestra, theater or visual arts classes/activities- or no student involvement but are passionate about the arts - join the Washburn Arts Council (WAC), a group of parents and teachers supporting the Washburn arts community. We meet the second Saturday of each month at Common Roots Cafe, 2558 Lyndale Ave. South (meeting room in the back) at 9:00 a.m. - we would love to see you at our next meeting on Nov. 12th! Connect with us at
These students were nominated and selected to play in the 2016 St. Thomas Honor Band.They will rehearse and work with the St. Thomas Band Staff and Faculty, along with students from all over the state, culminating in a concert. Congrats to Miller Musicians!
Studio Art & Dia de los Muertos
Studio Arts in collaboration with Xicanos Latinos Unidos from MCTC is celebrating Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Washburn artists from Ms. Benz's class created ofrendas which are displayed at MCTC to celebrate the Mexican holiday all week. Please join us at MCTC to view the artwork and participate in festivities. See attached flyer for more information.
Winter Sports Sign Up Night 11/2
Wednesday, November 2nd
6:00-8:00pm [note date change!]
WHERE: Main Gym (enter Door 5)
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Meet Coaches
- Get Info on practices, tryouts and schedules
- Complete Paperwork
- Pay Fees
- Drop in style -- Come when it works for you!
Soccer Girls at State
The Varsity Girls Soccer Team won their quarterfinal game in Farmington on Wednesday!
On to the semi-finals at U.S. Bank Stadium on Tuesday 11/1 @ 2:00pm.
Visit our website for more details!
Cross Country at State
Our varsity qualifiers are headed to the State Tournament on Saturday, 11/5 @ 10:00am at St. Olaf College. Good luck runners!
Attention Baseball Families
Interested in baseball? Come find out more about the program! The Baseball Boosters and coaches will host an information meeting for new and returning baseball families on November 14 @ 7:00pm in the Washburn Choir Room (Room 122). Coaches will talk about the program and teams, and the Boosters will fill you in on upcoming events, winter training opportunities, and how to get involved.
Our Washburn Cares Team seeks donations in various areas that helps us meet basic needs of students. When students have basic needs met, they can better focus on their academic achievement.
Please consider donating the following items needed most right now:
- winter hats & gloves
- granola bars & small cracker packs
Also, if you have interest in joining the Washburn Cares Team, we are looking for new members who can help us solicit donations in the community in the areas of food, clothes, school supplies, toiletries, and gift cards. Contact
Washburn Online Apparel Store Online
The online store will be open for approx. 2 weeks to order Washburn apparel and accessories. Items will be delivered before the holidays. Some items are only available once a year in the online store. Remember, all profits from sales go back into Washburn activities. Support your school!
SHOW YOUR SCHOOL SPIRIT
Order Timelines - Friday Oct 28th thru Sun. Nov. 13th
- There are a lot of style, color and size options available only through the online store
- Items will be available before the holidays- mid December
- Place your order for pick up at Washburn
- Or you can have it shipped directly to you
- You can visit the Miller Mart to look at sizes before you order
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL
THE ODYSSEY LITERARY MAGAZINE
The Odyssey is looking for student submissions! Submit your work to the Literary Magazine! Send in short stories, poems, and photos!! You can email your new and unique pieces at
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE ON 11/8
The election is right around the corner. Don't forget to make your voice count on 11/8!
MPS uses referendum funds to directly impact student achievement. In order to ensure the referendum dollars have the greatest impact on students, the funding would be used to pay for:
* The positions of teachers, counselors, social workers, behavioral or academic support staff;
* Opportunities for students such as tutoring, leadership development, and mentoring programs, after-school activities; and/or;
* Professional development and curriculum that supports and integrates academic and social and emotional learning.
Our annual Poinsettia sale starts November 7 and runs through November 18. Please support Washburn when you begin sprucing up your home for the holidays!
We have partnered with Wagner's for past 10+ years. Their poinsettias are beautiful and we have kept the cost pretty consistent all these years ($12 / $15 / $20). New this year are Wagner's gift cards. This is a great way to quickly cross holiday gifts off your list and Washburn earns $3.75 on a $25 gift card and $5.00 on a $50. All proceeds on this sale will go to the Senior Party. Please note: our alumni continue to be big buyers during this sale. So please, pay it forward or pay it backward!!! Thank you!
Butch is one of our great engineers who keeps this place running. We simply could not operate as well without him. We so appreciate you and we're so glad you're getting recognition. Washburn is one of the cleanest and best maintained school in the district! Truly, Butch is a gem. His positive attitude and work ethics are to be commended. On top of that he is one of the nicest, down to earth guys you will ever meet!
Kristie Anderson is
part of the wonderful School Based Clinic. She has done a lot for our Washburn community. Kristie works hard to make the clinic a safe and accessible place for students. The School Based Clinic is a tremendous resource for our school and it's success is dependent on committed staff such as Kristie. Thanks for being part of the Miller family!
Washburn High School | Main Office 612-668-3400 | Family Liaison 612-668-3440