January 31, 2018
Join NaBITA Today!
In NaBITA's monthly newsletter we share a Tip of the Week, spotlight a resource relevant to the field, provide news, and share information about our upcoming events. In addition, each NaBITA newsletter brings you information relevant to the field of behavioral intervention and prevention, with current events and relevant resources. If you like the newsletter, we hope you will join NaBITA so that you can receive the weekly version of this great member benefit. Click
for more information.
Tip of the Week
By Brian Van Brunt, Ed.D.
When do you close a case? First, you should have a clear procedure for this, in writing, in your BIT manual. For example, you might follow guidance that once a case is at mild or moderate level on the NaBITA Threat Assessment Tool for more than a month, it can be moved to a closed status. Similarly, you should be more cautious closing a case that is at the elevated, severe, or extreme level until those issues are resolved
The 2018 NaBITA Catalog is Now Available
serves to provide our members and colleagues with a compreh
ensive guide to the wide array of BIT-related products, services, training, and professional development opportunities offered by our association.
Offerings are categorized by topics most frequently discussed by BIT members and others involved in the assessment and intervention of concerning behavior at schools, colleges, universities, and workplaces: Professional Development, Employee Training, Policies & Procedures, and Resources.
Whether you are new to behavioral assessment and intervention, or a seasoned BIT member, this catalog is a valuable resource to help ensure your campus BIT comports with established best practices, is in compliance with relevant laws and regulations, and can provide sound behavioral assessments and caring interventions to members of the campus community.
We encourage you to reach out to NaBITA at 484-321-3651 to learn more about the services that best fit the needs of your campus.
Introducing NaBITA's New Certification Course - The BIT Master Class
- Marketing and advertising advanced practices
- Obtaining administration buy-in
- Team communications challenges
- Legal and ethical concerns
- Managing faculty and staff referrals
- Threat assessment practical applications
- Quality assurance/audits
- Developing end of semester reports
- BIT leadership and team management
Built from the ground up, with a mixture of lectures and case studies, this course is designed to move quickly through advanced topics and focus on practical application of skills.
Supplemental materials include a threat assessment rationale document to present to administrators, sample end of semester reports, marketing templates, essential checklists, and video training demonstrations. There are several opportunities throughout the training to work collaboratively through case studies with colleagues.
This course, unlike the BIT Foundations, BIT Best Practices, Case Management and Intervention, or Advanced Violence Risk Assessment Certification courses, has the following prerequisites in order to register*:
- Team must be in existence for more than 3-4 years
- Strong familiarity with the NaBITA Threat Assessment Tool
- Certification and experience using the SIVRA-35 or similar risk assessment measurement (WAVR-21, HCR-20, MOSAIC)
- Completion at least of one of the following certification courses: BIT Foundations, BIT Best Practices, or Case Management and Intervention
*In the event that these prerequisites are not met in entirety, a prerequisite waiver form may be completed based on your content knowledge and experience. The final decision regarding eligibility will be determined by NaBITA.
NaBITA is currently looking for a host campus for this new certification course.
If your campus/school/organization is interested, please complete a
Request for Proposal.
Questions can be directed to
, Director of Marketing Outreach and Business Development, at (
610) 993-0229, ext. 1015.
2018 NaBITA Regional Conference Early Bird Registration Closes in Less Than 2 Weeks
Join NaBITA and several of its senior faculty as we bring together some of the best parts of the 2017 conference from San Antonio, TX. This
in Ventura, California provides our supporters a chance to gather, refresh, and learn together.
The 2018 Regional Conference will be hosted by Ventura College in Ventura, CA on April 12 & 13, 2018.
Register before February 9, 2018 to receive the Early Bird rates!
Violence Risk Assessment of the Written Word (VRAW2)
Presented by Brian Van Brunt, Ed.D., Executive Director, NaBITA; Senior Vice President for Professional Program Development, The NCHERM Group, LLC
The Violence Risk Assessment of Written Word (VRAW2) - is used to assess emails, creative writing or non-fiction that contain direct threats or violent themes of concern. In this training participants will discuss how a team can deploy a set of questions to determine whether these threats are true threats or if they are simply howling behaviors or part of the student's creative process. Learn the new rubric for VRAW2 and how to apply it in the context of the NaBITA Threat Assessment Tool and the Structured Interview for Violence Risk Assessment (SIVRA-35). Participants will receive a copy of the VRAW2 and instructions on how to use it to assess the likelihood of violence from written word communication.
For more information on agendas and session descriptions, please visit our
Announcing the 2018 January-March Promotion for NaBITA Campus Memberships
NaBITA announces new incentives toward becoming a member at the Enhanced or Charter level! *
NaBITA Enhanced members receive the following benefits:
- Weekly member newsletter featuring a Tip of the Week and Resource Spotlight
- Access to the NaBITA Listserv
- One free registration to the Annual NaBITA Conference and 20% discount for all other attendees from your campus
- 10% discounted registration to Certification Trainings and Online Trainings
- Access to the NaBITA Membership List
- Access to the Member Resource Materials
- Two free NaBITA Online Trainings
- Access to the NaBITA Ask the Experts Consultation
- 1-hour long consultation call/webinar/Skype session with NaBITA Executive Director, Brian Van Brunt ($350 value). Brian has offered classes in counseling theory, ethics, program evaluation, statistics, and sociology for both graduate and undergraduate students. He is frequently an invited keynote speaker and has offered training to law enforcement, homeland security, FBI, college faculty, and staff. He developed the Structured Interview for Violence Risk Assessment (SIVRA-35) and led the charge on developing The CARE Team Manual.
- All four NaBITA Conduct Videos ($419 value). The NCHERM Group's Online Trainings now offers a series of easy-to-use video training tools to help Behavioral Intervention Team members and conduct officials hone their skills. Each video offers a brief vignette lasting just a few minutes, in which a student and administrator talk about an incident. Supplemental materials include a transcript of the video, leader's guide, and set of questions and answers for use in training and discussion applications, plus a set of key takeaways from each case.
* This promotion applies only to Enhanced/Charter Level members, including any upgrades from the Individual, Case Manager, or Standard membership levels. This promotion does not apply to renewing Enhanced/Charter members.
** The Charter level of Membership includes two-years of Enhanced level benefits for $2,200.
For any additional information or to discuss this promotional offer in detail, contact
, Vice President for Client and Member Relations at (610) 993-0229, ext. 1009.
2018 NaBITA Training Events
Host a Training Event!
Should your campus/school/organization look to host an on-campus Training Event, NaBITA is currently collecting
Request for Proposals
for campus host sites for the 2018 calendar year.
A list of available training programs can be found here.
Resources Available for Purchase
Membership Renewal Reminder
If your NaBITA membership expires in December, January, or February, now is the time to renew. Renew your NaBITA campus membership for as low as $639! Please download our membership renewal form
, or click
to renew online.