Join Us at Our Parent Leadership Conference!
Saturday, September 30
9:00 AM - 3:30 PM ET
National Conference Center
East Windsor, NJ
Join us to enhance your leadership and advocacy skills, whether you are an emerging or seasoned leader!
The conference will offer thought-provoking speakers and informational breakout sessions to provide you with the tools and inspiration you need to advocate on behalf of infants, toddlers, children, and youth.
- Hear from a panel of State Agency Leaders sharing updates and opportunities for family engagement.
- Attend sessions related to helping families access educational, childcare, or healthcare services and gain knowledge on how to navigate child welfare and juvenile justice systems.
- Listen to youth leaders who will share their stories of developing self-advocacy skills.
- Acquire strategies to ensure accessibility, diversity, equity, inclusivity, and belonging in our advocacy efforts.
- Learn ways to improve self-care, wellness, technology skills, and more.
For more information and to register, click here.
Check the Conference information on our website here for frequent updates!
You'll also learn how you can help support SPAN at our Late Summer Soiree fundraiser on Friday, September 29, 2023 at the National Conference Center.
August Is Now Teen Mental Health Month
This Is My Brave, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to ending the stigma surrounding mental health, announced its inaugural campaign to declare the month of August as Teen Mental Health Month. Launching in August 2023, the campaign aims to educate, support, and empower teens by providing resources, events, and initiatives focused on mental health and wellbeing.
Nonprofit and for-profit organizations, businesses, government entities, schools, individuals, and more are invited to join This Is My Brave, Inc. in a concerted effort to address and fulfill the recommendations stated in the U.S. Surgeon General’s 2021 Youth Mental Health Advisory. Teen Mental Health Month brings together a coalition of partners and organizations committed to prioritizing the mental well-being of young individuals. By joining forces, This Is My Brave and its partners aim to create a supportive environment where teenagers can thrive emotionally and mentally.
SPAN has joined in partnership with This Is My Brave, Inc. and we recommend that you consider joining the movement as well. Click here to find how how you can participate as a Partner or by taking their pledge.
5 Actions to Reduce Exclusionary Discipline
OSEP Launches Resource Database to Support Reducing Exclusionary Discipline
In her final post in the Discipline & Behavior Series, OSEP Director, Valerie C. Williams announces the launch of a new webpage with an online database of over 200 resources related to reducing exclusionary discipline, which includes:
- Customized access to resources based on role (e.g., educator, administrator, parent) and topic (e.g., reducing suspensions, positive behavioral supports and interventions);
Fourteen resource guides for quick access on key topics; and
Access to OSEP’s technical assistance centers, related policy documents, multi-media presentations and more!
As the blog series comes to a close, Ms. Williams leaves readers with five Key Actions that they can take to reduce exclusionary discipline:
- Adopt a prevention mindset
- Examine data
- Create and support systems
- Implement evidence-based practices
- Access OSEP Technical Assistance Resources
There are many more specifics to each Key Action, so be sure to read her entire blog by clicking here.
SPAN offers a variety of learning opportunities for families and the professionals who work with them.
Highlighted Event This Week
Assistive Technology Supports for Reading
Monday, August 14
12:00 - 1:00 PM ET
Virtual via Zoom
Reading Support is an essential skill.. For those with disabilities, reading can be stressful, difficult, and frustrating. This webinar breaks down the Supports for Reading and presents examples of assistive technology that support it.
Presentator: Adam Krass MS, ATP - Adam Krass Consulting, LLC
More Information: Jeannine Brinkley at email@example.com
To register, click here.