In my last article, I shared with you my desire to re-look at our mission and goals for the DBC. When I began as Executive Director, the first thing we did was develop 20/20 goals for the future. That was five years ago. We have made good progress. However, it is time to update and simplify our goals and vision.
We will continue to put energy into Church Planting. We want to plant all kinds of churches, for all kinds of people in every kind of place! Our vision and plan focuses on the following:
- Continuing our partnership with the North American Mission Board and through the personnel they provide.
- Focusing or inviting local Dakota churches who are willing to partner with us in identifying places around them where new work is needed.
- Searching out and enlisting partners for each new work among Dakota Baptist churches and churches and associations outside the Dakotas.
- Raising up church planters and church planting teams for Dakota churches and church and associations outside the Dakotas.
- Supporting our church planters and their families financially, emotionally and spiritually as they serve and work.
Church planting is one way we accomplish evangelism and discipleship. Church planting points to the health and growth of our convention. Our State Missions Director and head of Church Planting, Buck Hill, and our church-based Church Planter Catalyst will lead us in this effort to plant healthy reproducing churches.
Next time I will share about another important part of our vision - assisting existing churches to be stronger and healthier.
- Garvon Golden, Executive Director