In 1902, Jacob Freund purchased the store and entire stock of Alexander & Gould's Hardware Store at 1919 Main Street. In the
"Do You Remember When?"
picture from 1902, you can see there were still wooden sidewalks then. In 1904, Jacob's soldering stove exploded and set fire to the rear of the building. The building was saved, but the stock, which was not insured, was not. His wife sustained such a nervous shock that she became very ill. Luckily, she and the store survived. The later picture is from 1918 and shows the building with new cement sidewalks. In the 1930s and 40s, free movies were shown on the side of the building during the summer months. The movies were actually paid for by merchants as a way to bring people to the downtown. Each town in the area showed movies on different nights. Sometime in the 60s or 70s the building was converted into a residence.