A Note from Principal Webb
Great Afternoon BFES Families!
Have a great weekend!
- It has been an amazing first week at BFES! I hope your children were as excited to get back to school as we were to receive them. We had a really positive pre-planning week, and this momentum carried over to Sneak Peek and these first five days of school.
- Thank you to the PTO for sponsoring our first Ice Cream Social yesterday. The ice cream was great! Having a chance to chill together, meet new friends, and catch up with old friends was a lot of fun!
- If you would like to volunteer in the school, please make certain to complete the volunteer training (https://ga50000114.schoolwires.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=9539). It takes 15 minutes to complete. One of the hardest things we have to do is to turn away parents that want to help us. Next week, teachers will share ways you can help your child's class. This could include practicing math facts in the hallway, sharing your career, enhancing a lesson with your knowledge in a particular subject area, setting up bulletin boards, or making copies. We want you! You may begin volunteering on August 26th.
- Carpool Arrival: Please make sure to let your child out of the car at the front curb where our staff can assist them. If you need to walk your child in to school, please park in the side lot. Walk them across the bus lane and to the front door. This will help us keep the carpool line moving.
- Each Thursday, we will be adding a video to the school website. A staff member will take the nighttime privilege of reading to your child. I am up first for Thursday Stories. Here is the direct link to watch me read Diffendoofer Day. There is an awkward 15 second stare down to start the video, but I do actually begin reading. Enjoy: https://tinyurl.com/y5bcymas
- In the past, special absences have been approved by the principal. These situations would include: out of town travel for vacations, visiting relatives, going to sporting events, different learning experiences...etc. This year I will not be approving these absences. I don't feel this should change any plans you have, though. If I go to Disney World, my child receives an unexcused absence. When I visit family in Buffalo, my child receives an unexcused absence. When we visit the Grand Canyon to learn about rock formations, my child receives an unexcused absence. This is okay with me because what I am doing is important to my family. I understand your decision to take your child out of school for something important. I just will not excuse it. Go make memories!
- Like us on Facebook: Birmingham Falls Elementary School. Follow us on twitter: @BFESBobcats
- Curriculum Nights: Tuesday, August 20 (K, 2, 4) and Wednesday, August 21 (1, 3, 5)
- o Kindergarten (20th)--5:30-6:15 P.M.
- o Second (20th)--6:15-7:00 P.M.
- o Fourth (20th)--7:00-8:00 P.M.
- o First (21st)--5:30-6:15 P.M.
- o Third (21st)--6:15-7:15 P.M.
- o Fifth (21st)--7:15-8:15 P.M.
- Lunch: You may begin having lunch with your child on Monday, August 26th.
- No School: Friday, August 30th - Staff Professional Development Day.
- No School: Monday September 2nd - Labor Day
Don Webb - Principal
Check out the new PTO website at:
! From here you can register your account and update your information for the directory, sign up to volunteer, check out all the latest events that are happening at BFES, purchase your PTO membership and so much more! All homeroom classes who have 100% membership by the 6th will get a popsicle party!!
PTO meetings are once/month on Fridays at 8:30am in the cafeteria. Everyone is invited to attend to hear all about what is going on at our school and see how you can get involved! Meeting dates are subject to change based on changes to school calendar:
*No PTO meeting scheduled in April*
The PTO-funded portion of Project Playground is well underway! With the money we raised from our Auction Night in the spring, we are painting the black top on the playground and the white top outside of the gym for both recreational and educational use. We also purchased new balls, jump ropes, frisbees, sidewalk chalk and other things for the kids to enjoy during their recess. We will begin painting the white top outside of the gym after Curriculum Night.
And coming soon... our Rainy Day Recess Rooms which will be located on both halls. These rooms will be used as optional space on days the students cannot go outside to play. Thank you, BFES families, for your generous donations last spring to make our students' requests a reality!
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE_CREAM! The PTO sponsored Ice-Cream Social was a sweet success! Thanks to everyone who came out to kick off our first week of school! Special thanks to Bruster's on Hickory Flat for scooping for us!
Spirit Wear Update
Outfit your Bobcats for the new year! Did you grab some of the hot new designs for Bobcat spirit wear at Sneak-a-Peek? No? Well, it's not too late! Spirit wear will be on sale at each Curriculum Night. Don't miss out as some items are already selling out! After Curriculum Night, you can purchase shirts, shorts, bows, and more online at our new BFES website.
SOMETHING NEW IS COMING! We are doing something new for our BFES Bobcats. This year each grade level will have their own special t-shirts to use for field trips, spirit days, FIELD DAY, etc! That's right, these new grade level shirts will replace field day shirts and we are getting them in the Fall so you can wear them for special grade events all year long. Only $8 with all proceeds benefiting the PE program! They will be available at Curriculum Night and on the NEW PTO website after that. Don't miss out! 5th grade won't have one of these because they'll have their unique 5th grade shirts designed by students. Purchase of the grade level shirts is completely optional - not required.
Stay tuned for more details......
Box Tops is Going Digital
Box Tops for Education is modernizing their program by going digital. No more clipping! All you need to do is download their app and start scanning...it's really that easy!
Box Tops will be earned for our school through this new mobile app by scanning your receipts within 14 days of purchase. So, every time you go to the store, scan your receipt within the app and it will automatically count any eligible Box Tops. You can also see a real time running tally of our school earnings!
Lastly, please send in any traditional clipped and unexpired Box Tops by October 15th. They will still honor these until the expiration date!
Click here for more info:
Thank you so much for your support of the Box Tops program to help us earn free money for our school!
Business Partner Program
We are thrilled to welcome 19 total Business Partners for the 2019-2020 School Year, including 10 Gold Sponsors and 1 Platinum Sponsor! Be sure to check out our new Business Partner Display Wall inside the school, and our Gold & Platinum Sponsors on our new Carpool Sign. You can also learn more about these business by clicking a logo below. We are so thankful to our business partners, all of whom are locally owned businesses, for helping us make BFES an even better place!
We plan to open new Business Partner applications in January for the second semester, and then again in May for the next school year. Please contact
if you have a business partner idea or would like to help grow this exciting program!
Do not delay - Buy a Yearbook!
Yearbooks are ONLY available for purchase
Price: $25/ yearbook until January 31, 2020
Price: $30/ yearbook after January 31, 2020
*You will receive an email confirmation from Balfour after you order. Please keep for your records.
Around the School
Learning is fun at BFES! And our Bobcats got off to a great start their first week back. Click an image to see what's been happening this week around the school and don't forget to check out our social media channels for lots more pictures.
Ms. Plattner's 5th grade
reviewed PAWS expectations in the instructional settings using silent conversation. Kids shared what they think each behavior looks like, and responded to what others wrote-all without talking!
Ms Ambrose's 3rd graders were excited to learn cursive strokes thsi week in between reading and writing workshops! Next stop: letter formation....
Ms Parry's fourth graders used this hot week to figure out how does the water on the outside of an icy can get there!
And the highlight for almost every Bobcat this week was ....yes the GaGa Ball Octagon!
Thank you SGC and PTO!
Milton GS Recruitment Day
Full school Calendar available online
Please note there are additional professional development days for BFES that are not included on the Fulton County Schools calendar for 2019-2020. These days were chosen in an effort to follow our feeder schools as closely as possible. There will be no school for students on these days:
August 30, 2019
November 4, 2019
March 16, 2020
BUSINESS PARTNERS 2019-2020
We are grateful to our Business Partners for their support in helping enhance our school programs and facilities. Click a partner logo to learn more about them and make sure to tell them you appreciate their support of BFES.