Join Youth Yoga Project, an Ohio-based nonprofit organization, to learn best-practices for teaching yoga and mindfulness to youth in k-12 classrooms. This comprehensive approach to teaching yoga focuses on developing and supporting the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development of young people. During the training, participants will:
- Gain a greater understanding of child development theory and how yoga and mindfulness tools help youth to integrate and regulate the brain, body and nervous system
- Learn the components of a Youth Yoga Project yoga class for youth and explore strategies to make yoga age-appropriate for a K-12 audience
- Explore essential concepts to teaching yoga in public school and community settings such as building relationships in schools, securing and setting up successful yoga space, managing a classroom with diverse needs and delivering trauma-informed yoga practices
- Participants will leave with strategies and tools to empower students to support their health and well-being on and off the yoga mat
- Participants will receive a comprehensive 70 page yoga and mindfulness in schools training manual, Youth Yoga Project yoga tools notebook with over 30 practices, and Youth Yoga Project yoga card deck with a calming and energizing sequence
Lauren Greenspan, M.A., RYT-200, RCYT
is a certified yoga instructor and licensed school counselor with professional experience working with children in elementary, middle and high school settings. She specializes in yoga for children, teens, families, and educators and incorporating yoga into academic and community settings. Combining her experience as a yoga instructor and educator, Lauren teaches evidence-based yoga practices that are grounded in brain-based learning and child development theories.
Julia Handelman, M.A., RYT-200 is a certified yoga instructor, teacher and curriculum writer for elementary school classrooms. She specializes in teaching yoga to students in the school setting. Julia has written a yoga curriculum to support the developmental needs of students in order to support their academic and social emotional growth.
Educators, related service professionals, parents, yoga teachers
August 15 & 16, 2019
Registration begins at 8:30 AM. Training starts at 9:00 AM and will end by 4:00 PM.
ESC of Lake Erie West, 2275 Collingwood Blvd., Toledo, OH 43620
$395 per participant.
Lunch on your own. Registration is not complete until fees are paid. Please send check payable to ESC of Lake Erie West to ESC of Lake Erie West, Attn: Elaine Robinson, 2275 Collingwood Blvd., Toledo, OH 43620. Please indicate on check the name of the person registered for the training.