Couldn’t make this past week’s special
Tuesday Night Halacha Shiur on the Laws & Customs of Shavuos?
Don’t fret. Here is the sample question sheet. Take the quiz and see how many you know! Feel free to email me if you get stuck and I’ll be delighted to email you the answers. Enjoy!
1. Why do we delay davening maariv leil yontiv shavuos?
2. Must one delay kiddush as well?
3. If women don’t count sefira can they make kiddush earlier?
4. In a non three-day-yontiv year, can a woman light candles earlier in the day, before nightfall?
5. In the previous question scenario, may one “add” to the yontiv with tosafos yontiv?
6. What did the “chasidim h’rishonim” do on leil shavuos?
7. What is the source for staying up all night to learn Torah on shavuos?
8. Which “category” of people stays up all night to study?
9. What amazing physical benefit is there for those who stay up to learn?
10. How should one navigate the bircas hashachar if one stays awake all night?
11. What subjects should one study throughout the night?
12. If one heard bircas haTorah before davening and then goes to sleep for hours, upon awakening, should he recite bircas haTorah again?
(R’ Dovid Feinstein)
13. Can one deliberately daven shachris before “
,” sunrise, on shavuos morning if staying up to learn? How about krias shema?
14. How long must one sleep (and under what circumstance) in order to make bircas haTorah?
15. Why do we read megilah ruth on shavuos? State
(yalkut ruth, others)
On which day should it be read? (
16. What is
is it read on shavuos?
17. Should one
during the reading of the Ten Commandments?
(responsa, Rambam, others)
18. Why is there a custom to decorate the home and shul with flowers and trees?
(rama, magen avraham)
Why was the Vilna Gaon against using trees?
Does this apply to flowers as well?
(R’ Moshe Feinstein)
19. Why do we eat dairy on shavuos? How is this connected to Pesach? State two reasons.
(rama, mishna berura)
20. Can one eat dairy and meat in the
meal? How is this accomplished? What ingredient should
loaf contain? What type of four should be used for both loaves?
(rama, mishna berura)
Have a wonderful shabbos and a joyous yom tov!
See you in shul,
Rabbi Aaron D. Mehlman
Erev shabbos kodesh bamidbar, yom matan Torahseinu 5779