In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #10
March 9, 2017
Set your clocks AHEAD one hour before you go to bed on Saturday night,
so you won't be late for church on Sunday morning!
LENTEN ACTIVITIES AT ASCENSION
March 7 - April 5, 2017
TUESDAYS DURING LENT:
Welcome Silence begins at 5:15 PM. From 6:00 to 6:15 PM, we will observe the Exposition and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. All are welcome to attend either or both services.
WEDNESDAYS DURING LENT:
6:00 - 6:30 PM - Share a nourishing meal; optional and free for all participants.
Lenten Family Activity Series
6:30 - 7:30 PM - Family activities will focus on a variety of spiritual disciplines to help make your Lenten experience a more holy one. Please prayerfully consider making this a priority time for your family to spend together. All ages are welcome - children, family groups, singles & couples, and no advance registration is necessary.
click here for activities schedule (PDF)
click here to see the schedule online
No Lenten Book Study on March 15.
NOTE: Child care for pre-school children will be available on Wednesdays from 6:00 to 8:00 PM, with advance reservation. Contact Deacon Rebecca Saager to request child care, by the Sunday prior to need on Wednesday.
News & Announcements
CHILDREN - "Godly Play 1" and "Godly Play 2" - Every Sunday,
9:15 a.m. - contact Frances Kirchhoff (email@example.com).
CAYA meets on the second and fourth Sunday of each month,
at 5:00 p.m. in the parish hall. All teens and young adults are invited. For details, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
REQUIEM performance, Sunday, April 2, at Ascension, 4:00 PM.
KSU Concert Choir with members of Ascension's choir.
"Gabriel Fauré composed his Requiem in D minor, Op. 48, between 1887 and 1890. The choral-orchestral setting of the shortened Catholic Mass for the Dead in Latin is the best-known of his large works. Its focus is on eternal rest and consolation. He composed the work in the late 1880s and revised it in the 1890s, finishing it in 1900... A performance takes about 35 minutes."
HELP! Building & Grounds Spring Clean-Up -
Saturday, April 8
Outside cleanup begins at 8:00 a.m. Inside cleanup begins at 10:00 a.m. Bring your own tools and supplies, or check church supplies in advance. Please sign up for specific chores on the list on the office window, individually or in teams. For more information, contact Jim King (email@example.com).
You are invited to sponsor a potted Easter lily to honor someone special in your life. The lilies will be used to decorate the church on Easter Sunday (you may claim yours to take home later if you wish), and dedications will be listed in the Easter bulletin and eWeekly.
are now available on tables in the church and hallway. Please return completed forms with payment to the office no later than Wednesday, April 12.
April 10-15 -
services to be announced
EASTER SUNDAY- April 16
THREE DIVAS from KSU , Sunday,
April 30, at Ascension, 4:00 PM. Accompanied by John Martin.
(Same schedule is posted on the office window.)
This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus any dedication for altar flowers.
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of 2 Lent, Year One (3/12/17) - BCP 952
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Subdeacon: Sue Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Scott Mello
- Lector & Prayers of the People: Michal Smith-Mello
- Acolyte: Angela Goetter
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Sue Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Julia Tyson
- Lector: Ava Marie Wilson
: Jillian Word, Reagan Napier
T: Jordan Masters, Natalie Agne
- Ushers: Fred & Frances Kirchhoff
- Altar Guild: T2 - Faye Thacker, Rose Gayle Hardy, Agnes Parman, Ruth Feindel, Jan Riedel
- Men's Club: T3 - Roy Upshaw, Jack Bates, Charles Major, Fred Kirchhoff
Ascension Benedictine Cell - Thank You!
- Jan Stevens is our Coffee Hour Coordinator - contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Kristi Buffenmyer
- Scheduling contact is Kristi Buffenmyer, email@example.com. Sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
For the Church:
Grace Church, Florence - The Rev Gretchen Weller, Priest in Charge.
Recently in need of prayers:
Ann; Anna; Avadot & Amy; Bob; Collin; Cooper; Faye & Steve; Gail; Herman & Sherri; Lara; Mrs. Lesley; Linda; Natalie; Nancy Jo; Natasha, Mickey & Camron; Polly; Ruth; Walt & Betsy.
Alfred; Bettie; Bill C.; Bill N.; Billy B.; Bob; Caleb; Doris & Charlie; Dwight; Harrison; Hope; Jan; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Leigh G.; Maggie; Marilyn; Mike E.; Ruth; Sarah; Scott & Kathy; Twister, Barkley & Fran; and Willie. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, and Seth.
3/14 - Angela Goetter; 3/15 - James Russell; 3/18 - David Bemiss.
- Prelude: Herzlich tut mich verlangen (My soul longeth to depart in peace)- Johannes Brahms
- The Great Litany: S 67
- Gospel Acclamation
- Sanctus: S 122
- Fraction Anthem: S 160
- Communion Hymn: Hymnal 691 - My faith looks up to thee
- Closing Hymn: Hymnal 142 - Lift high the cross - St. Flavian
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2016 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.