In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #11
March 16, 2017
Rest eternal grant to him, O Lord;
And let light perpetual shine upon him.
May his soul, and the souls of all the departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
CHRISTOPHER DAVIS KIMBROUGH
Saturday, March 18, 2017, at Ascension:
Visitation, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
LENTEN ACTIVITIES AT ASCENSION
March 7 - April 5, 2017
TUESDAYS DURING LENT:
Welcome Silence begins at 5:15 PM. From 6:00 to 6:15 PM, we will observe the Exposition and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. All are welcome to attend either or both services.
WEDNESDAYS DURING LENT:
6:00 - 6:30 PM - Share a nourishing meal; optional and free for all participants.
Lenten Family Activity Series
6:30 - 7:30 PM - Family activities will focus on a variety of spiritual disciplines to help make your Lenten experience a more holy one. Please prayerfully consider making this a priority time for your family to spend together. All ages are welcome - children, family groups, singles & couples, and no advance registration is necessary.
click here for activities schedule (PDF)
click here to see the schedule online
NOTE: Child care for pre-school children will be available on Wednesdays from 6:00 to 8:00 PM, with advance reservation. Contact Deacon Rebecca Saager to request child care, by the Sunday prior to need on Wednesday.
News & Announcements
CHILDREN - "Godly Play 1" and "Godly Play 2" - Every Sunday,
9:15 a.m. - contact Frances Kirchhoff (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CAYA meets on the second and fourth Sunday of each month,
at 5:00 p.m. in the parish hall. All teens and young adults are invited. For details, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (email@example.com).
REQUIEM performance, Sunday, April 2, at Ascension, 4:00 PM.
KSU Concert Choir with members of Ascension's choir.
"Gabriel Fauré composed his Requiem in D minor, Op. 48, between 1887 and 1890. The choral-orchestral setting of the shortened Catholic Mass for the Dead in Latin is the best-known of his large works. Its focus is on eternal rest and consolation. He composed the work in the late 1880s and revised it in the 1890s, finishing it in 1900... A performance takes about 35 minutes."
HELP! Building & Grounds Spring Clean-Up -
Saturday, April 8
Outside cleanup begins at 8:00 a.m. Inside cleanup begins at 10:00 a.m. Bring your own tools and supplies, or check church supplies in advance. Please sign up for specific chores on the list on the office window, individually or in teams. For more information, contact Jim King (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You are invited to sponsor a potted Easter lily to honor someone special in your life. The lilies will be used to decorate the church on Easter Sunday (you may claim yours to take home later if you wish), and dedications will be listed in the Easter bulletin and eWeekly.
are now available on tables in the church and hallway. Please return completed forms with payment to the office no later than Wednesday, April 12.
April 10-15 -
services to be announced
EASTER SUNDAY- April 16
THREE DIVAS from KSU , Sunday,
April 30, at Ascension, 4:00 PM. Accompanied by John Martin.
- 3/5/17: $6,254
- 3/12/17: $3,917
Kroger Community Rewards: 24 households shopped at Kroger between 12-1-2016 and 2-28-2017 (Cycle 3, Qtr 2), resulting in a contribution of $285.58 from Kroger to Ascension. Thank you, Kroger shoppers!
(Same schedule is posted on the office window.)
This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus any dedication for altar flowers.
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of 3 Lent, Year One (3/19/17) - BCP 954
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Subdeacon & Prayers of the People: Sue Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer & Lector: Pauline Van Horn
- Acolyte: Peggy Stoner
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Sue Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer & Lector: Julia Tyson
- Ushers: Linda & Tori WOrd
- Altar Guild: T3 - Polly Coblin, Michal Smith-Mello, Joyce Sisk
- Men's Club: T3 - Roy Upshaw, Jack Bates, Charles Major, Fred Kirchhoff
The Word Family - Thank You!
- Jan Stevens is our Coffee Hour Coordinator - contact her by email at email@example.com. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Leah MacSwords
- Scheduling contact is Kristi Buffenmyer, firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
For the Church:
Diocese of Haiti, Companion Relationship Diocese - The Right Rev. Jean-Zache Duracin, Bishop; The Rev. Dr. Jan Cottrell and Mr. Chuck Pittenger, Co-Chairs, Companion Diocese Relationship Committee.
Recently in need of prayers:
Ann; Anna; Avadot & Amy; Bob; Collin; Cooper; Darlene; Donna; Duncan & Jo; Emily, Bob & Beth; Faye & Steve; Gail; Jim & Debbie; Lara; Mrs. Lesley; Linda; Natalie; Nancy Jo; Natasha, Mickey & Camron; Polly; Ruth; Walt & Betsy.
Alfred; Bettie; Bill C.; Bill N.; Billy B.; Bob; Caleb; Doris & Charlie; Dwight; Harrison; Hope; Jan; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Leigh G.; Maggie; Marilyn; Mike E.; Ruth; Sarah; Scott & Kathy; Twister, Barkley & Fran; and Willie. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, and Seth.
3/18 - Dylan Kinnett, Melissa Hoover; 3/19 - Iris Skidmore, Jan Riedel, Maureen Davis; 3/20 - Shelley Davis; 3/22 - Roy Stivers; 3/25 - Carlee VanHouten, Rena Bartlett.
Christopher Davis Kimbrough.
- Prelude: Schönster Herr Jesu (Fairest Lord Jesus) - Jean Langlais
- Processional Psalm: Psalm 25:1-2, 15-17
- Gospel Acclamation
- Offertory: Hymnal 146 - Now let us all with one accord
- Sanctus: S 122
- Fraction Anthem: S 160
- Communion Hymn: Hymnal 343 - Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless - St. Agnes
- Closing Hymn: Hymnal 685 - Rock of ages, cleft for me - St. Flavian
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2016 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.