In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #12
March 23, 2017
LENTEN ACTIVITIES AT ASCENSION
March 7 - April 5, 2017
TUESDAYS DURING LENT:
Welcome Silence begins at 5:15 PM. From 6:00 to 6:15 PM, we will observe the Exposition and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. All are welcome to attend either or both services.
WEDNESDAYS DURING LENT:
6:00 - 6:30 PM - Share a nourishing meal; optional and free for all participants.
Lenten Family Activity Series
6:30 - 7:30 PM - Family activities will focus on a variety of spiritual disciplines to help make your Lenten experience a more holy one. Please prayerfully consider making this a priority time for your family to spend together. All ages are welcome - children, family groups, singles & couples, and no advance registration is necessary.
click here for activities schedule (PDF)
click here to see the schedule online
NOTE: Child care for pre-school children will be available on Wednesdays from 6:00 to 8:00 PM, with advance reservation. Contact Deacon Rebecca Saager to request child care, by the Sunday prior to need on Wednesday.
News & Announcements
CHILDREN - "Godly Play 1" and "Godly Play 2" - Every Sunday,
9:15 a.m. - contact Frances Kirchhoff (email@example.com).
CAYA meets on the second and fourth Sunday of each month,
at 5:00 p.m. in the parish hall. All teens and young adults are invited. For details, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
REQUIEM performance, Sunday, April 2, at Ascension, 4:00 PM,
KSU Concert Choir.
"Gabriel Fauré composed his Requiem in D minor, Op. 48, between 1887 and 1890. The choral-orchestral setting of the shortened Catholic Mass for the Dead in Latin is the best-known of his large works. Its focus is on eternal rest and consolation. He composed the work in the late 1880s and revised it in the 1890s, finishing it in 1900... A performance takes about 35 minutes."
HELP! Building & Grounds Spring Clean-Up -
Saturday, April 8
Everyone can do something! Please don't leave these chores to the 'same few people.' Outside cleanup begins at 8:00 a.m. Inside cleanup begins at 10:00 a.m. (after Morning Prayer). Bring your own tools and supplies, or check church supplies in advance. Please sign up for specific chores on the list on the office window, individually or in teams. For more information, contact Jim King
You are invited to sponsor a potted Easter lily to honor someone special in your life. The lilies will be used to decorate the church on Easter Sunday (you may claim yours to take home later if you wish), and dedications will be listed in the Easter bulletin and eWeekly.
are now available on tables in the church and hallway. Please return completed forms with payment to the office no later than Wednesday, April 12.
from KSU , Sunday,
April 30, at Ascension,
4:00 PM. Accompanied by John Martin.
- 3/5/17: $6,254
- 3/12/17: $3,917
- 3/19/17: $3,220
Kroger Community Rewards: 24 households shopped at Kroger between 12-1-2016 and 2-28-2017 (Cycle 3, Qtr 2), resulting in a contribution of $285.58 from Kroger to Ascension. Thank you, Kroger shoppers!
(Same schedule is posted on the office window.)
This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus any dedication for altar flowers.
March 26, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of 4 Lent, Year One (3/26/17) - BCP 954
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Subdeacon & Prayers of the People: Sue Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Will McKee
- Lector: Susie Oder
- Prayers of the People: Frances Kirchhoff
- Acolyte: Stuart Brown
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Sue Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Bob Bullock
- Lector: Ron Gruzesky
: Hayden Hoover & John Bullock
T: Lucy & Charlotte Saunderson
NO JUBILEE STREAMERS during Lent
- Ushers: Jim King & Joyce Taylor
- Altar Guild: T3 - Polly Coblin, Michal Smith-Mello, Joyce Sisk, Scott & Kathy Kimbel
- Men's Club: T1 - Geoff Pinkerton, William Legg, Pauline Van Horn, Skip Hunt
CAYA - Thank You!
- Jan Stevens is our Coffee Hour Coordinator - contact her by email at email@example.com. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Susie Oder
- Scheduling contact is Kristi Buffenmyer, firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
For the Church:
Church of the Resurrection, Jessamine County (Nicholasville) - The Rev. Margaret Shanks, Priest in Charge.
Recently in need of prayers:
Ann; Anna; Avadot & Amy; Bob; Collin; Cooper; Darlene; Donna; Duncan & Jo; Emily, Bob & Beth; Faye & Steve; Gail; Jim & Debbie; Lara; Mrs. Lesley; Linda; Natalie; Nancy Jo; Natasha, Mickey & Camron; Polly; Ruth; Sherri; Walt & Betsy.
Alfred; Bettie; Bill C.; Bill N.; Billy B.; Bob; Caleb; Doris & Charlie; Dwight; Harrison; Hope; Jan; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Leigh G.; Maggie; Marilyn; Mike E.; Ruth; Sarah; Scott & Kathy; Twister, Barkley & Fran; and Willie. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, and Seth.
3/27 - Lisa Perkinson, Scott Mello; 3/31 - Dan Walton, Peyton Heady.
- Prelude: Gottheit tief verborgen (Humbly, I adore thee)- Maurice Emmanuel
- Processional Psalm: Psalm 33:1-8
- Trisagion: S 102 Holy God, Holy and Mighty
- Gospel Acclamation: S 49 Praise and honor to you, O Lord Jesus Christ
- Offertory: Go, congregation, go! - Lacy Wallace, soprano - John Antes
- Sanctus: S 122 Holy, holy, holy Lord
- Fraction Anthem: S 160 Lamb of God
- Communion Hymn: Hymnal 490 - I want to walk as a child of the light - Houston
- Closing Hymn: Hymnal 690 - Guide me, O thou great Jehovah - Cwm Rhondda
Palm Sunday with Liturgy of the Palms, April 9
8AM Spoken Mass with interactive Passion according to Matthew
10:30AM Solemn Choral Eucharist with chanted Passion according to Matthew
Monday & Tuesday, April 10 & 11
7PM Eucharist with chanted Psalmody
Wednesday, April 12
7PM Candlelit Tenebrae Service
Maundy Thursday, April 13
7PM Solemn Choral Eucharist with washing of feet
and all-night vigil at the Altar of Repose
Good Friday, April 14
12:00PM & 7PM Veneration of the Cross with Holy Communion
Holy Saturday, April 15
8:15PM Easter Vigil service, beginning in the cloister garden
Easter Sunday, April 16
8AM Spoken Mass & 10:30 AM Festive Chora lEucharist
Following the service,
please join us in the parish hall for a champagne reception.
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2016 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.