In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #13
March 30, 2017
performance THIS Sunday, April 2, at Ascension, 4:00 PM,
KSU Concert Choir.
"Gabriel Fauré composed his Requiem in D minor, Op. 48, between 1887 and 1890. The choral-orchestral setting of the shortened Catholic Mass for the Dead in Latin is the best-known of his large works. Its focus is on eternal rest and consolation. He composed the work in the late 1880s and revised it in the 1890s, finishing it in 1900..."
The concert will also feature an organ recital by Kentucky State University Fine Arts faculty member and Ascension's Director of Music, John Martin. Martin will play French organ works by Charles-Marie Widor, Louis Vierne and Alexandre Guillmant.
VIGIL OF THE ALTAR OF REPOSE
Maundy Thursday, April 13
Mark your calendars and plan ahead to take a turn at sitting for this all-night holy vigil - in teams of two whenever possible. A sign-up sheet for sitting the vigil is now posted in the hallway beside the office door; please make your commitment as soon as possible.
News & Announcements
CHILDREN - "Godly Play 1" and "Godly Play 2" - Every Sunday,
9:15 a.m. - contact Frances Kirchhoff (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CAYA meets on the second and fourth Sunday of each month,
at 5:00 p.m. in the parish hall. All teens and young adults are invited. For details, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (email@example.com).
HELP! Building & Grounds Spring Clean-Up -
Saturday, April 8
Everyone can do something! Please don't leave these chores to the 'same few people.' Outside cleanup begins at 8:00 a.m. Inside cleanup begins at 10:00 a.m. (after Morning Prayer). Bring your own tools and supplies, or check church supplies in advance. Please sign up for specific chores on the list on the office window, individually or in teams. For more information, contact Jim King
You are invited to sponsor a potted Easter lily to honor someone special in your life. The lilies will be used to decorate the church on Easter Sunday (you may claim yours to take home later if you wish), and dedications will be listed in the Easter bulletin and eWeekly.
are now available on tables in the church and hallway. Please return completed forms with payment to the office no later than Wednesday, April 12.
from KSU , Sunday,
April 30, at Ascension,
4:00 PM. Accompanied by John Martin.
- 3/5/17: $ 6,254
- 3/12/17: $ 4,097
- 3/19/17: $ 3,220
- 3/26/17: $11,126
Total Income for March
: $ 24,661
Total Expenses for March: $ 42,599 *
* all bills are paid up-to-date, including Diocesan Fair Share through first quarter 2017
(Same schedule is posted on the office window.)
This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus any dedication for altar flowers.
April 2, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of 5 Lent, Year One (4/2/17) - BCP 956
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Chalice Bearer & Prayers of the People: Michal Smith-Mello
- Lector: Mike Oder
- Acolyte: Angela Goetter
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Chalice Bearer: Shannon Lancaster
- Lector: Lara Heady
- Ushers: Kristi & Laura Buffenmyer
- Altar Guild: T4 - Rick & Sue Kurtz, Debbie & Jim Kimbrough, Jim King
- Men's Club: T2 - Jim Kimbrough, Jim King, Starla Yount
(vestry pickup - David Hurt)
- Jan Stevens is our Coffee Hour Coordinator - contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: David Hurt
- VESTRY MEMBERS: Weekly lockup volunteers needed starting April 9. Please sign up on the sheet on the office window ASAP, or check the Schedules & Teams PDF schedule above and email your preferred dates to Mona at email@example.com.
Intercessions for the Church:
Church of the Good Shepherd, Lexington - The Rev. Brian Cole, Rector, The Rev. Andrew Hege, Assistant to the Rector.
Recently in need of prayers:
Ann; Anna; Avadot & Amy; Bob; Collin; Cooper; Darlene; Debbie; Donna; Duncan & Jo; Emily & Bob; Faye & Steve; Gail; Jim & Debbie; Keila; Lara; Linda; Natalie; Nancy Jo; Natasha, Mickey & Camron; Polly; Ruth; Sherri; Walt & Betsy.
Alfred; Bettie; Bill C.; Bill N.; Billy B.; Bob; Caleb; Doris & Charlie; Dwight; Harrison; Hope; Jan; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Leigh G.; Maggie; Marilyn; Mike E.; Ruth; Sarah; Scott & Kathy; Twister, Barkley & Fran; and Willie. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, and Seth.
4/2 - Ryan Tyson; 4/4 - George Robertson, Nancy Caudill; 4/5 - Maggie Wunderlich; 4/6 - David Roseman; 4/7 - Miller Elliott, Rick Kurtz; 4/8 - Fletcher Mazaheri.
Recently Departed: Nancy Eskew Perkins (sister-in-law of Mother Linda)
- Prelude: Symphonie I: Méditation - Charles-Marie Widor
- Processional Psalm: Psalm 43
- Trisagion: S 102 Holy God, Holy and Mighty
- Gospel Acclamation: S 49 Praise and honor to you, O Lord Jesus Christ
- Offertory: Peace I leave with you - Philip M. Young
- Sanctus: S 122 Holy, holy, holy Lord
- Fraction Anthem: S 160 Lamb of God
- Communion Hymn: Hymnal 151 - From deepest woe, I cry to thee - Aus tiefer Not
- Closing Hymn: Hymnal 495 - Hail, thou once despised Jesus - In Babilone
Palm Sunday with Liturgy of the Palms, April 9
8AM Spoken Mass with interactive Passion according to Matthew
10:30AM Solemn Choral Eucharist with chanted Passion according to Matthew
Monday & Tuesday, April 10 & 11
7PM Eucharist with chanted Psalmody
Wednesday, April 12
7PM Candlelit Tenebrae Service
Maundy Thursday, April 13
7PM Solemn Choral Eucharist with washing of feet
and all-night vigil at the Altar of Repose
Good Friday, April 14
12:00PM & 7PM Veneration of the Cross with Holy Communion
Holy Saturday, April 15
8:15PM Easter Vigil service, beginning in the cloister garden
Easter Sunday, April 16
8AM Spoken Mass & 10:30 AM Festive Chora lEucharist
Following the service,
please join us in the parish hall for a champagne reception.
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2016 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.