In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #14
April 6, 2017
Palm Sunday with Liturgy of the Palms, April 9
8AM Spoken Mass with interactive Passion according to Matthew
10:30AM Solemn Choral Eucharist with chanted Passion according to Matthew
Monday & Tuesday, April 10 & 11
7PM Eucharist with chanted Psalmody
Wednesday, April 12
7PM Candlelit Tenebrae Service
Maundy Thursday, April 13
7PM Solemn Choral Eucharist with washing of feet
and all-night vigil at the Altar of Repose
Good Friday, April 14
12:00PM & 7PM Veneration of the Cross with Holy Communion
Holy Saturday, April 15
8:15PM Easter Vigil service, beginning in the cloister garden
Easter Sunday, April 16
8AM Spoken Mass & 10:30 AM Festive Chora lEucharist
Following the service,
please join us in the parish hall for a champagne reception.
News & Announcements
CHILDREN - "Godly Play 1" and "Godly Play 2" - Every Sunday,
9:15 a.m. - contact Frances Kirchhoff (email@example.com).
CAYA meets on the second and fourth Sunday of each month,
at 5:00 p.m. in the parish hall. All teens and young adults are invited. For details, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
VIGIL OF THE ALTAR OF REPOSE
Maundy Thursday, April 13
Mark your calendars and plan ahead to take a turn at sitting for this all-night holy vigil - in teams of two whenever possible. A sign-up sheet for sitting the vigil is now posted in the hallway beside the office door.
E A S T E R E G G S !! E A S T E R E G G S !!
Ascension's CAYA group will help to conduct an Easter egg hunt for children on Easter Sunday. Please bring small, individually wrapped candies (to go inside the plastic eggs) to the church TODAY - no later than Friday, April 7. Contact Kristi Buffenmyer (
) with any questions.
HELP! Building & Grounds Spring Clean-Up -
Saturday, April 8
Everyone can do something! Please don't leave these chores to the 'same few people.' Outside cleanup begins at 8:00 a.m. Inside cleanup begins at 10:00 a.m. (after Morning Prayer). Bring your own tools and supplies, or check church supplies in advance. Please sign up for specific chores on the list on the office window, individually or in teams. For more information, contact Jim King
You are invited to sponsor a potted Easter lily to honor someone special in your life. The lilies will be used to decorate the church on Easter Sunday (you may claim yours to take home later if you wish), and dedications will be listed in the Easter bulletin and eWeekly.
are now available on tables in the church and hallway. Please return completed forms with payment to the office no later than Wednesday, April 12.
from KSU , Sunday,
April 30, at Ascension,
4:00 PM. Accompanied by John Martin.
(Same schedule is posted on the office window.)
This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus any dedication for altar flowers.
Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday
April 9, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Holy Week, Year One (4/9/17) - BCP 956
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Subdeacon & Chalice Bearer: Sue Kurtz
- Prayers of the People: Candy Charters
- Lector: Tony Charters
- Acolyte: Peggy Stoner
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Sue Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Jim King
- Lector: Bobbie Lee Wilson
- Thurifer: Victoria Word
: Reagan Napier & Hayden Hoover
T: Lucy Saunderson & Peyton Heady
JS: Hannah Lee & Charlotte Saunderson
- Ushers: Scott & Kathy Kimbel
- Altar Guild: T4 - Rick & Sue Kurtz, Debbie & Jim Kimbrough, Jim King
- Men's Club: T3 - Roy Upshaw, Jack Bates, Charles Major, Fred Kirchhoff
(reimbursed vestry pickup - Charlie Caudill)
- Jan Stevens is our Hospitality Coordinator - contact her by email at email@example.com. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Charlie Caudill
- VESTRY MEMBERS: Weekly lockup volunteers needed starting April 16. Please sign up on the sheet on the office window ASAP, or check the Schedules & Teams PDF schedule above and email your preferred dates to Mona at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intercessions for the Church: Calvary Church, Ashland - The Rev. Antoinette "TJ" Azar,
Rector, The Rev. Deacon Tina Mussetter, The Rev. Deacon Diane Zwick.
Recently in need of prayers: Ann; Anna; Avadot & Amy; Bob; Collin; Cooper; Darlene; Debbie; Donna; Duncan & Jo; Emily & Bob; Faye & Steve; Gail; Jim & Debbie; Keila; Lara; Linda; Natalie; Nancy Jo; Natasha, Mickey & Camron; Polly; Ruth; Sherri; Walt & Betsy.
Continuing concern: Alfred; Bettie; Bill C.; Bill N.; Billy B.; Bob; Caleb; Doris & Charlie; Dwight; Harrison; Hope; Jan; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Leigh G.; Maggie; Marilyn; Mike E.; Ruth; Sarah; Scott & Kathy; Twister, Barkley & Fran; and Willie. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, and Seth.
Birthdays: 4/9 - Will McKee; 4/12 - Rylie Jo Saager; 4/13 - Jean Whitaker; 4/15 - Frances Kirchhoff, Molly Davis.
- Processional Hymn: Hymnal 154 - All glory, laud and honor - Valet will ich dir geben
- Trisagion: S 102 Holy God, Holy and Mighty
- Offertory Choral Anthem: Pie Jesu - Gabriel Fauré
- Sanctus: S 124 Holy, holy, holy Lord
- Fraction Anthem: S 161 Lamb of God
- Communion Hymn: Hymnal 474 - When I survey the wondrous cross - Rockingham
- Closing Hymn: Hymnal 435 - At the name of Jesus - King's Weston
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2016 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.