In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #20
May 18, 2017
Father Brown Awarded Emeritus Status by Midway University!
Dr. William "Bill" Brown retired from Midway University on May 13, 2017, after nearly 21 years of service. He began his career at the institution in the fall of 1996 as an Assistant Professor of Philosophy & Religion and a staff member in the financial aid office.
In 1997, Dr. Brown played a critical role in a newly created School for Career Development, which is the predecessor of Midway University's current evening and online programs. Dr. Brown was instrumental in the day-to-day oversight of the School for Career Development and held various positions in that office including Dean and Vice President.
More recently, Dr. Brown served as Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs with oversight for the credit for prior learning program, the dual credit program, assessment, accreditation, academic policies, administrative withdrawals and drops, and academic petitions and appeals. In 2014 and 2015, he led an institution-wide effort to ensure reaffirmation of accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Midway University was reaffirmed for 10 years in December 2015 without sanctions or monitoring.
At the May 2017 Commencement ceremony, Dr. Brown was awarded emeritus status. The Board of Trustees, at its most recent meeting in May, approved emeritus status for Dr. Brown. Emeritus status is awarded to a full-time staff member who retires after ten or more years of service to the institution. It is not awarded automatically but is reserved for individuals who have made significant and sustaining contributions to the mission of the University.
John P. Marsden, Ph.D.
President, Midway University
CHILDREN - "Godly Play 1" and "Godly Play 2" - Every Sunday,
9:15 a.m. - contact Frances Kirchhoff (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CAYA meets on the second and fourth Sunday of each month,
at 5:00 p.m. in the parish hall. All teens and young adults are invited. For details, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (email@example.com).
ECUMENICAL FOOD DRIVE
- Sunday, May 21
Let us know who "our" church graduates are this year, whether from high school, college, or other significant program. We are compiling a list, and need your help to let us know if you, your friends or family members are graduating in 2017. Call Mona at 502-223-0057, or email
FRANKFORT READING CAMP - June 19-23, 2017
- 5/7/17 - $ 3,708
- 5/14/17 - $ 2,316
- Please check this schedule to review your upcoming Sunday duties. The same schedule is posted on the office window - you may write in changes there, as needed.
- This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus dedications for altar flowers.
- To share your time and talent in a new ministry, change your team assignment(s), change your availability for a future Sunday, or change duties assigned for THIS Sunday, please contact Deacon Rebecca Saager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sunday, May 21, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of 6 Easter, Year One (5/21/17) - BCP 962
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Mac Elliott
- Lector: Ron Gruzesky
- Ushers: Jim & Debbie Kimbrough
- Altar Guild: T3 - Polly Coblin, Michal Mello, Joyce Sisk, Scott & Kathy Kimbel
- Men's Club: T1 - Geoff Pinkerton, William Legg, Pauline Van Horn, Skip Hunt
(Reimbursable Vestry Pickup - Jim King)
- Jan Stevens is our Hospitality Coordinator - contact her by email at email@example.com. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Jim King
Intercessions for the Church:
Trinity Church, Danville-The Rev. Amy Dafler Meaux, Rector.
Recently in need of prayers:
Ann; Anthony; Avadot & Amy; Bob; Collin; Darlene; David; Debbie; Dillard; Donna; Duncan & Jo; Faye & Steve; Gail; Jamie & family; Jan; Jenny; Jim & Debbie; Judy; Keila; Lara; Linda; Luke; Natalie; Nancy Jo; Natasha, Mickey & Camron; Polly; Ruth; Scott; Shelia; Sherri; Walt & Betsy; Will & Trish.
Alfred; Bettie; Bill C.; Bill N.; Billy B.; Bob; Caleb; Doris & Charlie; Harrison; Hope; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Leigh G.; Maggie; Marilyn; Mike E.; Ruth; Sarah; Scott & Kathy; Twister, Barkley & Fran; and Willie. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, Nick, and Seth.
5/27 -Karen Hoover, Bernie Mazaheri.
Anniversaries: 5/25 - Geoff Pinkerton & Heidi Hiemstra; 5/26 - Michael & Maureen Davis.
- Prelude: Symphonie No. 1: Méditation - Charles-Marie Widor
- Opening Hymn: Hymn 292 - O Jesus, crowned with all renown - Kings fold
- Gloria: S 280 - Glory to God in the highest
- Offertory: Hymn 291 - We plow the fields and scatter - Wir Pflugen
- Sanctus: S 129 - Holy, holy, holy Lord
- Fraction Anthem
- Communion Hymn: Hymn 513 - Like the murmur of the dove's song - Bridegroom
- Closing Hymn: Hymn 405 - All things bright and beautiful - Royal Oak
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2017 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.