In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #28
July 13, 2017
Our series of book studies will continue in August with
the New Church's Teaching Series, Volume 12 - A Theology of Worship, by Louis Weil.
Classes will meet every Wednesday in August (2, 9, 16, 23, & 30) at 6:00 p.m., ending by 7:45 p.m. and followed by Compline, dismissing no later than 8:00 p.m.
CHILDREN - Music Education led by Christina Mazaheri is replacing Godly Play through June and July - all ages are welcome to come and join the fun! Gather in the Parish Hall every Sunday at 9:15 a.m.
CAYA teens and young adults are on summer break; meetings will resume with the new school year. For more information, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (
Ascension is seeking a part-time nursery attendant to assist another adult in caring for a small group of children, ages 0-4, on Sunday mornings, 9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m., and occasionally for optional special events (usually a couple of evening or weekend hours). This a PAID position (hourly, part-time, with no additional benefits). Must be at least 16 years of age and have/arrange reliable transportation. A complete job description and application form are NOW POSTED on our web site and are also available in the church office.
If you think you might be interested in EfM for the coming school year, please contact a mentor as soon as possible: William Legg, 502.352.8434, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Randy Hollis, 502.330.0330, email@example.com.
HELP! SUMMER SCHEDULES FOR MINISTRIES -
With summer activities come changes to Sunday availabilities.
please check the "Ministries Schedule" that is posted on the office window to review your upcoming assignments over the next few weeks. If you know you will not be available on a particular date(s), or if you need to be on a different team rotation, please mark that schedule as far in advance as possible -OR- tell or email Deacon Rebecca (
The same schedule is always included in the eWeekly newsletter as a PDF file -
- 7/2/17 - $5,035
- 7/9/17 - $3,442
July 9 - August 27
OR view as a web page here:
- Please check this schedule EVERY WEEK to review your upcoming Sunday duties for the next few weeks. The same schedule is posted on the office window - please write in changes there, as needed, or notify Deacon Rebecca Saager.
- This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus dedications for altar flowers.
- To share your time and talent in a new ministry, change your team assignment(s), change your availability for a future Sunday, or change duties assigned for THIS Sunday, please contact Deacon Rebecca Saager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sixth Sunday After Pentecost: Proper 10
Sunday, July 16, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of Proper 10, Year One (7/16/17) - BCP 974
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Chris Smith
: Mike Oder
- Prayers of the People: Mac Elliott
- Acolyte: Angela Goetter
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Bob Bullock
- Lector: Ron Gruzesky
- Ushers: Scott & Kathy Kimbel
- Altar Guild: T3 - Polly Coblin, Michal Mello, Joyce Sisk, Scott & Kathy Kimbel
- Men's Club: T1 - Geoff Pinkerton, William Legg, Pauline Van Horn, Skip Hunt
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Pauline Van Horn
(reimbursed vestry pickup - Pauline Van Horn)
- Yes, we are still looking for Coffee Hour hosts and helpers! Vestry members have agreed to pitch in on Sundays when no one else is scheduled, but we encourage everyone to share in this ministry as you are able.
- Jan Stevens is our Hospitality Coordinator - contact her by email at email@example.com. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
Intercessions for the Church:
Trinity Church, Covington - The Rev. Peter D'Angio, Rector, The Rev. Justin E. Gabbard, Associate Priest, The Rev. Deacon Joe O'Brochta.
Recently in need of prayers:
Bob; Collin; Dan; Dillard; Elena; Faye & Steve; Geoff; Jan; Jim & Debbie; Jon; Judy; Linda; Luke; Natalie; Polly; Risa & her new daughter; Roy; Skip; Walt & Betsy; Will.
Ann; Bettie; Cody & Shelley; David; Debbie; Doris & Charlie; Duncan & Jo; Gail; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Lara; Marilyn; Ruth; Scott; Scott & Kathy; Shelia; Sherri; and Will & Trish. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, Nick, and Seth.
7/17 - Betsy Sparrow; 7/18 - Lucy Saunderson; 7/19 - Betsy Moore; 7/21 - Jack Bates; 7/22 - William Legg.
- Prelude: Orgelkonzert nach Vivaldi: Largo - Johann Sebastian Bach
- Opening Hymn: Hymn 48 - O day of radiant gladness - Es flog en kleins Waldvoge kin
- Gloria: S 280
- Gradual Psalm: S 413 - Psalm 119:105-112
- Offertory: Wenn wir in höchsten Nöthen sein (When in the hour of utmost need) - Johann Sebastian Bach
- Sanctus: WLP 858
- Fraction Anthem: S 161
- Communion Hymn: Hymn 593 - Lord, make us servants of your peace - Dickinson College
- Closing Hymn: Hymn 408 - Sing praise to God who reigns above - Mit Freuden zart
- Postlude: Komm, Gott Schöpfer, heiliger Geist (Come, God Creator, Holy Ghost) - J.S. Bach
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2017 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.