In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #29 -
July 20, 2017
Summer is a time of transition, and I am in the middle of one. I am in the process of moving to Lexington. My new location will be just far enough away that it will no longer be convenient for me to serve at Ascension, Frankfort. Sunday, July 23, will be my last time to serve here as an assisting priest.
I thank all of you for the warm welcome you have given me since I joined the staff, and I shall miss you. I especially thank Father Jessee for inviting me to serve at Ascension. It is a beautiful church and you are justly proud of your sacred space. May you continue to grow in the knowledge and love of God and of his son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Mother Linda McCloud
YOU ARE INVITED TO A SEND-OFF PARTY!
The Aossey family invites our Ascension family to join us in wishing
Daniel well as he prepares to leave for Craft Academy in Morehead. The gathering will be held on Sunday, July 30, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., in Ascension's parish hall.
The Craft Academy for Excellence in Science and Mathematics
is a dual-credit residential high school for academically exceptional Kentucky students, housed on the campus of Morehead State University. Daniel will be living on campus for the next two years, earning college credits as he completes his junior and senior years of high school.
Please join us for a happy send-off!
The parish office will be CLOSED on Friday, July 21.
CHILDREN - Music Education led by Christina Mazaheri is replacing Godly Play through June and July - all ages are welcome to come and join the fun! Gather in the Parish Hall every Sunday at 9:15 a.m.
CAYA teens and young adults are on summer break; meetings will resume with the new school year. For more information, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (
LATE SUMMER BOOK STUDY -
Our series of book studies led by Father Neat continues with
the New Church's Teaching Series, Volume 12 - A Theology of Worship, by Louis Weil. Classes will meet every Wednesday in August (2, 9, 16, 23, & 30) at 6:00 p.m., ending by 7:45 p.m. and followed by Compline, dismissing no later than 8:00 p.m. Please contact Father Neat to reserve your seat as soon as possible - firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB FILLED -
Please welcome Chris Smith and her daughter Mia as our new assistants to Catherine Hatchett in the nursery!
If you think you might be interested in EfM for the coming school year, please contact a mentor as soon as possible: William Legg, 502.352.8434, email@example.com; or Randy Hollis, 502.330.0330, firstname.lastname@example.org.
HELP! SUMMER SCHEDULES FOR MINISTRIES -
With summer activities come changes to Sunday availabilities.
please check the "Ministries Schedule" that is posted on the office window to review your upcoming assignments over the next few weeks. If you know you will not be available on a particular date(s), or if you need to be on a different team rotation, please mark that schedule as far in advance as possible -OR- tell or email Deacon Rebecca (
The same schedule is always included in the eWeekly newsletter as a PDF file -
- 7/2/17 - $5,035
- 7/9/17 - $3,442
- 7/16/17 - $10,461
July 23 - September 10
- Please check this schedule EVERY WEEK to review your upcoming Sunday duties for the next few weeks. The same schedule is posted on the office window - please write in changes there, as needed, or notify Deacon Rebecca Saager.
- This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus dedications for altar flowers.
- To share your time and talent in a new ministry, change your team assignment(s), change your availability for a future Sunday, or change duties assigned for THIS Sunday, please contact Deacon Rebecca Saager (email@example.com).
Seventh Sunday After Pentecost: Proper 11
Sunday, July 23, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of Proper 11, Year One (7/23/17) - BCP 976
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Scott Mello
: Michal Smith-Mello
- Prayers of the People: Mac Elliott
- Acolyte: Peggy Stoner
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Shannon Lancaster
- Lector: Lara Heady
- Ushers: Fred & Frances Kirchhoff
- Altar Guild: T4 - Rick & Sue Kurtz, Debbie & Jim Kimbrough, Jim King
- Men's Club: T2 - Jim Kimbrough, Jim King, Starla Yount
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Pauline Van Horn OR ?
Pauline did this last week; could someone else step up this Sunday, please?
Men's Club Team 2
- Yes, we are still looking for Coffee Hour hosts and helpers! Vestry members have agreed to pitch in on Sundays when no one else is scheduled, but we encourage everyone to share in this ministry as you are able.
- Jan Stevens is our Hospitality Coordinator - contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
Intercessions for the Church:
St. John's Church, Versailles - The Rev. Phillip Haug, Interim Rector.
Recently in need of prayers:
Alfred; Barbara; Bob; Collin; Dan; Dillard; Elena; Faye & Steve; Geoff; Jan; Jim & Debbie; Jon; Judy; Kim S.; Linda; Luke; Molly; Natalie; Polly; Risa & her new daughter; Roy; Walt & Betsy; Will.
Ann; Bettie; David; Debbie; Doris & Charlie; Duncan & Jo; Gail; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Lara; Marilyn; Ruth; Scott; Scott & Kathy; Shelia; Sherri; and Will & Trish. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, Nick, and Seth.
7/24 - Tracy Lamb.
6/21/17 - Patrick Paul Davis, son of Cody and Shelley Davis, grandson of Michael & Maureen Davis.
Anniversaries: 7/29 - Mike & Susie Oder.
- Prelude: Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele (Deck thyself, my soul with gladness) - Johannes Brahms
- Opening Hymn: Hymn 623 - O what their joy and their glory must be - O quanta qualia
- Gloria: S 280
- Gradual Canticle: Canticle: A Song of God's Strength in Mercy (Wisdom of Solomon 12:13, 16-19)
- Offertory: What does the Lord require for praise and offering - Erik Poutley
- Sanctus: WLP 858
- Fraction Anthem: S 161
- Communion Hymn: LEVAS 220 - We are climbing Jacob's ladder
- Closing Hymn: Hymn 344 - Lord dismiss us with thy blessing - Sicilian Mariners
- Postlude: O wie selig seid ihr doch, ihr Frommen (Oh, how blest are ye whose toils are ended) - Johannes Brahms
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Linda McCloud, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2017 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.