In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #30 -
July 27, 2017
YOU ARE INVITED TO A SEND-OFF PARTY!
The Aossey family invites our Ascension family to join us in wishing
Daniel well as he prepares to leave for the Craft Academy in Morehead. The gathering will be held on Sunday, July 30, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., in Ascension's parish hall.
The Craft Academy for Excellence in Science and Mathematics
is a dual-credit residential high school for academically exceptional Kentucky students, housed on the campus of Morehead State University. Daniel will be living on campus for the next two years, earning college credits as he completes his junior and senior years of high school.
Please join us for a happy send-off!
Ascension's youngest have been learning about music all summer. This Sunday, July 30, they will perform "This Little Light of Mine" during the Offertory at the 10:30 service. Many thanks to Christina Mazaheri for taking the lead to make this happen!
CAYA teens and young adults are on summer break; meetings will resume with the new school year. For more information, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (
LATE SUMMER BOOK STUDY -
Our series of book studies led by Father Neat continues with
the New Church's Teaching Series, Volume 12 - A Theology of Worship, by Louis Weil. Classes will meet every Wednesday in August (2, 9, 16, 23, & 30) at 6:00 p.m., ending by 7:45 p.m. and followed by Compline, dismissing no later than 8:00 p.m. Please contact Father Neat to reserve your seat as soon as possible - email@example.com.
If you think you might be interested in EfM for the coming school year, please contact a mentor as soon as possible: William Legg, 502.352.8434, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Randy Hollis, 502.330.0330, email@example.com.
- 7/2/17 - $5,035
- 7/9/17 - $3,442
- 7/16/17 - $10,461
- 7/23/17 - $1,410
A change to Kroger Community Rewards was announced this week:
In past years, August 1st began the "re-enrollment" period. Effective immediately, all participants will now "roll over" automatically and stay enrolled in their chosen organization, instead of having to re-enroll each year. So if you are already enrolled, you need to do nothing to keep your current choice.
Enrollment for NEW participants will work the same way as the past. Sign up at
or call 1-800-KROGERS,
July 30 - September 17
- Please check this schedule EVERY WEEK to review your upcoming Sunday duties for the next few weeks. The same schedule is posted on the office window - please write in changes there, as needed, or notify Deacon Rebecca Saager.
- This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus dedications for altar flowers.
- To share your time and talent in a new ministry, change your team assignment(s), change your availability for a future Sunday, or change duties assigned for THIS Sunday, please contact Deacon Rebecca Saager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Eighth Sunday After Pentecost: Proper 12
Sunday, July 30, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of Proper 12, Year One (7/30/17) - BCP 978
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Mac Elliott
: Tony Charters
- Prayers of the People: Candy Charters
- Acolyte: Angela Goetter
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Jim Kimbrough
- Lector: Bobbie Lee Wilson
: Jillian Word
T: Mia Kinnett & Lucy Saunderson
JS: Peyton Heady, Hannah Lee, & Charlotte Saunderson
- Ushers: Linda & Tori Word
- Altar Guild: T4 - Rick & Sue Kurtz, Debbie & Jim Kimbrough, Jim King
- Men's Club: T3 - Roy Upshaw, Jack Bates, Charles Major, Fred Kirchhoff
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Jack Bates
Aossey Family - Thank You!
- Yes, we are still looking for Coffee Hour hosts and helpers! Vestry members have agreed to pitch in on Sundays when no one else is scheduled, but we encourage everyone to share in this ministry as you are able.
- Jan Stevens is our Hospitality Coordinator - contact her by email at email@example.com. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
Intercessions for the Church:
Church of the Ascension, Frankfort - The Rev. Wm. Jessee Neat, Rector, The Rev. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest, Retired, The Rev. Nancy Stone Farley, Assisting Priest, Retired, The Rev. Deacon Rebecca Saager, Curate.
Recently in need of prayers:
Bob; Collin; Dan; Dillard; Elena; Faye & Steve; Geoff; Jan; Jim & Debbie; Jon; Judy; Kim S.; Kim V. & family; Linda; Luke; Natalie; Polly; Risa & her new daughter; Roy; Walt & Betsy; Will.
Ann; Bettie; David; Debbie; Doris & Charlie; Duncan & Jo; Gail; Jean; Jinks; John; Julia; Lara; Marilyn; Ruth; Scott; Scott & Kathy; Shelia; Sherri; and Will & Trish. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, Nick, and Seth.
8/1 - Jillian Word, Luke Purvis; 7/5 - Mike Oder.
- Prelude Randy Hollis, Guest Organist
- Opening Hymn: Hymn 388 - O worship the King, all glorious above! - Hanover
- Gloria: S 280
- Gradual Psalm: Psalm 105:1-11, 45b
- Offertory: This little light of mine -
Ascension Youth Choir
- Sanctus: WLP 858
- Fraction Anthem: S 161
- Communion Hymn: Many and great, O God, are thy works - Dakota Indian chant - David Hurt, bass
- Closing Hymn: Hymn 530 - Spread, O spread, thy mighty word - Gott sei Dank
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2017 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.